adding Crisco

I use EZSoy (100% soy) and I add .5 oz pp of crisco to my wax. There are a couple advantages. First is the melt pool is improved. Much more even burning, more consistent pool, IMO. But the biggest reason I add crisco is for pouring. Even at 98, the wax doesn't get real slushy and start to set up at the end of the pour. I can pour very easily without having to rush and without my spigot getting clogged in the end. I didn't have to change my wicking either. :D

HTH!

Liz D.

Since Crisco has an unlisted ingrediant which imparts it's only unique smell/scent when heated, does it have any impact on the various scents used besides just improving the hot throw. ie. the slight aromoa of crisco (someone's cooking in the kicthen with Dina......). :yay:

Mineral oil works the same way Crisco does, with slightly less smoking. It still has more of a tendency to smoke than plain wax, but less than with Crisco.

If you use MO that will take the place of how much FO you can add. Say you normally add 1.5oz of FO / LB of wax and you want to add MO. If you add MO at 1/2 oz then you can only add 1oz of FO any more oil and it will sweat out of the wax. So you reduce the FO which reduces the throw.

I use 1 oz FO pp with my soy wax. It will hold 1.5 oz FO pp, so I am not near the max. I suppose if you are using the max amt of FO that your wax will hold, then the mineral oil or crisco would cut the FO a bit. But if you are using just .5 oz crisco or mineral oil per pound, the amount of FO cut would be very minimal.

IMO, from what I've learned, less FO doesn't always necessarily mean less throw. I used to use 1.5 oz FO pp. I switched to 1 oz pp and do not notice a difference on most of the scents, as long as I cure the candles. I had several testers tell me the same thing. There are a couple FOs that I feel require more, though. In general, I prefer less FO because there's less sooting and also I am not comfortable with that high of a load, just incase I would mismeasure or my scale would be off, God Forbid.

Interesting subject, though! Would like to hear what others think as well.

Liz D.

• 2 months later...