Show Issues

mizbizzyb

Okay...it has been about 2-3 years since I have done a show. I got invited to a show to support 'Women'. However it is their first year but it is $350.00 for a table :undecided .

They will have all types of vendors there, wedding consultants, skin care products, health professionals, make-up artists, etc.

I want to do it, yet I don't want to fork over that kind of money and only sell 4 candles.

It is a 2 day show in a mall.

Should I or should I not....lol

My hubby will have to help me cause I work at Kellogg's on the weekends (pt) so he would have to man the booth for about 3 hours. Then he is off cause he has to dj 2 weddings that Saturday.

:grin2:

*****I got accepted into a bigger show - granted it costs more money but it is the 18th year of this show - I will be pouring candles in my sleep rofl*****

Hmmm...you said it's a show to support "women"? does that mean some of the money they get from booth fees goes to some form of chairty, like a battered women's shelter or something? If so then I would probably do it just because of that....but if not, then not sure if I would....

Just because people say they donate money to charity doesn't mean a large portion of the profits ever go to charity. There are a lot of "charitable" organizations where the majority of money raised goes to salaries for the people running the organization, the fancy cars they drive, and the fine homes they live in, etc. When you decide to donate to a cause you should find out up front what percentage of the money taken in actually goes toward helping the people they say they help. I have read about one group where about only $.10 of every dollar donated goes toward the charity.

I agree that $350 does sound pretty high for a first year event in a mall. I wonder how that compares to what your own kiosk would cost you. Also, I wonder if there is a Yankee candle store in the mall, or any other dealer that could have a negative impact on your sales.

I typically hate it when a mall has any type of show set up in the middle of everything. I never shop at them, because usually the type of stuff they have there is crap.

Ouch! That's alot of "Mula" for just 2 days. I can understand it helping to support "Women", but what type of "Women" is it going to help would be my question. Yes, it would be great exposure for you, but man you'd have to sell ALOT to make back that kind of $, plus it sounds like your DH's weekend is busy enough as it is.

If it were me and you had to look to make enough back in just 2 days to cover the cost, I think I'd let it pass by. That is unless you have that kind of $ to spend for exposure. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping support "Women", but still, that's alot of $ to me for just 2 days. JMHO,,,,,,Portia

Not for charity...but they have some good sponsors...American Airlines, Avis Car Rental, Hilton Hotel, etc...

hmmmm....torn I am. I definitely don't want to pass up an opportunity but I can put $350 somewhere else.

This is what they are promoting (to be held at the mall):

This event will be a great day or entire weekend for girlfriends, sisters, mothers & daughters to relax, shop, get pampered and have fun!

Ouch! That's alot of "Mula" for just 2 days. I can understand it helping to support "Women", but what type of "Women" is it going to help would be my question. Yes, it would be great exposure for you, but man you'd have to sell ALOT to make back that kind of $, plus it sounds like your DH's weekend is busy enough as it is.

If it were me and you had to look to make enough back in just 2 days to cover the cost, I think I'd let it pass by. That is unless you have that kind of $ to spend for exposure. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping support "Women", but still, that's alot of $ to me for just 2 days. JMHO,,,,,,Portia

Definitely agree, you'd have to sell a ton to get back what you paid to just break even. How many candles etc would you have to sell? :eek:

Maybe in lieu of a booth you can participate by giving out goody bags? Ask them if they would take those instead. That could be very good exposure and you don't have to sink all that money and time into something that may or may not pay off.

That is what I have thought about as well.....I will contact the promotor and let her know.

What is getting me is I have done the mall shows in the past and normally only pay $150-$200 depending on the size (usually 10x15) and it is a 3-day show. But $350.00 I wanna, but I don't wanna kick down that type of money. Now there is a 4 or 5 day show for $550.00 that is supposed to be huge...I may go for that.

Okay...I think I will go for the big show. I just called the promoter and she said they don't have too much of any one thing so everyone has a chance to make some money and there is still some openings.....

Now, I have to see if I can get off both of my jobs for that time period....lol

• 2 weeks later...
it is not at the mall - i got into the a show at a convention center. it is a big show. so off to pouring and trying to figure out where to get display stuff

Oh good! Have fun pouring and figuring out how to display your stuff! Good luck to you! ;)

Okay I got into the bigger show :yay:

Now I have never done a large show that has the trade show type set up. Any ideas on where to get props (lights, banner stands, etc)

Yay! You're in!! I'd be looking all over the place, but you know, eBay might have some goodies. Seems Bruce always finds deals. I found some baskets and heck everything is on there. Check those places like Target, Pier One, World Market etc. You just never know what you'll run into that will work.

Yay! You're in!! I'd be looking all over the place, but you know, eBay might have some goodies. Seems Bruce always finds deals. I found some baskets and heck everything is on there. Check those places like Target, Pier One, World Market etc. You just never know what you'll run into that will work.

Thanks Scented...I'm looking - in my sleep I think I surf the net looking. I'm going to call the promotors today to see where they get their stuff from to see if they rent anything. If so, I may go that route since this is my first show like this.

Oh lol....I asked for a corner booth and got one...:yay:

LOL

Just candles...everything has to be hand made...no warmers, etc.

I am going to do a walkin room...

I actually am about to leave to go to this banner place to see their displays and then go to the trade show rental showroom to see what they have.

DH said he was to do a video of the products to have it running on a screen (or tv) throughout the day...

soooo many things