Which do you prefer to sell/use -- electric tart burner or tealight burner?

Which do you prefer to sell/use -- electric tart burner or tealight burner?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer to sell/use -- electric tart burner or tealight burner?

• Electric Tart Warmer
    • Tealight Tart Warmer

I just started making clamshells for the first time (have never made a tart either) and have been doing some research on them. I have read some pros and cons of both and wondered which one that seems to be preferred more. I read that some think that even though tealight burners tend to give a better scent throw they can also cause the wax to become too hot. This would worry me. I have also read that it can depend on how far above the melter part is above the tealight. However, we would not have any control over what kind of tealight melter a customer would use. :confused: Any input? Thanks! :)

I never can understand the purpose of a tealight tart burner myself. Why not just burn a scented candle? I use the electric ones in my house. I love candles more but I have four small kids. So I need lots of odor control in my home and I feel a little more at ease using those than any flame at the time. I can at least prop those on a high shelf and not worry about the nearby wall catching on fire. I don't think anyone gives off a better scent than the other that depends on the wax and FO load. If I feel that it doesn't burn hot enough I usually use a metal tin container to melt them in on the electric warmer. Everyone has their preference but I would give a choice to customers.

I actually like both. I like the tealite burners because I have control over where I put them (for example I can put one above my fireplace out of reach of baby/ kid hands). But I prefer an electric one in the bathroom where I like a continuous scent.

I have never had a problem with the wax getting too hot, or any problem for that matter..... EXCEPT leaving the house wondering if I blew out the dang tealite. (whoopsies :tiptoe: )

I too like both a tea light burner and an electric one. I like the tea light burner because I can put it any where that I want and I like to see the flame and and the shadows that are cast from the cut out designs on the sides of the burner. For all day use, I like the electric one because I don't have to be concerned about replacing the tea light...although I've got hundreds of them...it's just easier.

I use both. I love the tealight burner because I can put it on the enclosed porch (where there is no electricity). The only problem I noticed with the tealight burner is when I melt soy...then I saw smoke :undecided . I have NEVER noticed that with the paraffin melts.

We sell both.

I personally use tart warmers for the purpose of going wickless. So when I don't want any kind of open flame, I use electric tart warmers. I don't like having to put a new tealight in there seemingly every 5 minutes to keep the scent going. LOL

However, I've heard customers say they LIKE the fact that a tealight eventually goes out so if they space it off, no damage done. It eventually burns itself out.

Personally, I just prefer not having to "babysit" a tealight. I like the convenience of electric.

I have both I think the electric gives off a better scent, it is more even. But I always forget to turn it off. I like the tealight one cause it will go out after awhile...but the scent takes longer to circulate.

You would think I would know better to be forgetful of these things, but I am...lol

I haven't seen electric tart warmers here in U.K so I have no choice but to use tea lights in a deep dish tart melter.

I like it because it goes out eventually & can either put a new tea light in or let the wax set up til the next time.

If I was using an electric tart warmer I'd probably forget it was switched on & leave it for too long, but if we could get them easily over here I'd give them a go.

Sally.

Thanks everyone for the replies. :) Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread -- been out and about a lot the last two days. Anyway, it looks like most of you prefer the electric ones. I do like the idea of not having to mess around with the tealights. Although, I have been using both to test the clamshells and I am finding I too like how I can put the tealight ones anywhere. There is not always a plug in the right place, etc. I also like the fact that if I for some reason forget to turn it off, the tealight kind would not stay lit long. I don't usually forget to blow out my candles. I also like the flicker of the flame. I think that some people like to use clamshells or tarts not just because they do not need to light a candle but for the convenience of trying new scents out for less cost and also the burners are really cute. There are so many pretty styles out there.

I see pros and cons to both but my biggest concern right now is that I am finding the the tealight one is burning my wax hotter than the electric one. One got up as high as 215 degrees and the tealight flame was a normal size. It could be the type of tealight burner. I have had it for a while, and I only have one tealight burner right now. Maybe the top part is not far enough away from the flame. If this is the case, I have control over what kind of burner I use, but I would not have any control over what kind a customer uses. I have only tested one type of wax so far. I am going to test some other ones to see if maybe a different type of wax would burn cooler. I tested the CB-3 Pillar wax from Swans (Calwax brand). It is soy/veggie based.

Again, thanks for everyone's vote and thoughts. I will be testing a lot more. I am finding that it is a nice change from testing and making jar candles. I have jar burnout. :tongue2:

~Holly

Hi Holly--

How do you like that wax? I have some that just came today to test, after reading good reports on it. I have been using the blend from JS, and it is really nice, too. This one I can get closer to me, so I thought i would try it.

Hi,

I really like it for clamshells. I have only tested it for these so far. I have never made a pillar either....just jars, jars, and more jars. :tongue2: I really like it for the clamshells. However, I do not have much to compare it to. It takes color well and is pretty. The scent throw is really good. There again though, I really can't compare it to another pillar/votive/tart wax, but I was very impressed with the scent throw. So far I have only tested the WYW Lemongrass and Star Anise which is not the best thrower in the soy container wax. It throws ok, but not like the CB-3 pillar in a clamshell. I am not sure if it is because of the wax or that it is a clamshell and not a candle with wicks. I really do like Calwax products and it is great to get a wax close by. I can order it from Swans which is on the west coast of WA -- I an on the east side. Shipping is fast and not as expensive as from ordering from another state. It would be good for you too if it works out good for you. Good luck with the testing. Are you going to test it for tarts and clamshells? Keep me posted and as soon as I test burn some of the other scents I will let you know about the scent throw.

~Holly :)

Electric I will not use a tealight burner again. I had one that I used for myself. The tealights were store bought. I don't know what happened, but the thing caught on fire, where the tealight goes. It popped real loud, and I thought what the heck, and I went to look, and it was on fire. Just luckily, I was close enough to hear it. So no more for me, it may have been the tealight it's self, but I'll pass.

I use both. but i like the electric ones better. i keep tealight one in my son's old bedroom for when he's home. he like the flame of a tealight. but i do trim all my tealights... after one getting my burner to hot one time, its was smoking and ready to burst into flame when i heard it.