higher price FO than others

julie c

I have been wondering why some suppliers oil's are so darn high. 16oz bottle for $20-22, 8oz for $ 15-16. I can buy from other places for $13 - 15 for 16oz and the FO are superb, like JS, Ind.Candle, Ng. Are they extra awesome, worth the money? I've thought of trying some, but afraid they aren't any better. Any thoughts on this?

Any suppliers you would recommend that are on the Higher side. Like BB? So the higher priced scents are better quality than js, ng, and ics?? Thanks

Yes and no. For instance, some people on here have stated they can't get JS to work for them. Others can.

It starts to become a little more of a you're going to have to try it and see.

Some of the higher priced FOs, (Scent Works does come to mind), may have more expensive ingredients like EOs. Some may throw better. Some may not throw worth a darn. Some may consider SW to be better in B&B.

You aren't gonna find the unique quality of FO at a cheap price, unfortunately the raw materials and EO's that go into them are expensive!! The different layers and notes to the FO's at the higher priced companies are worth every penny and 9 out of 10 I can use less than 1 oz./lb. in my parasoy blend. You just don't get that kind of quality FO having a sale on FO every week and most of the posted reviews show that!! :cool2:

In response to chris, what supplier do you like to use. I feel I get great smelling candles with js, ics, and ng, but would like to see what else is out there, and take the plunge on some higher price FO. Maybe this is the knock your sock s off hot throw I'm looking for in my darn tarts!!!

My favorites are Sweetcakes, Scent Works, Candle Cocoon, BNL & WYW (at Bitter Creek), Cybilla (at Bramble Berry), Bramble Berry and Majestic Mountain Sage. I'm testing a few from Day Star right now and they are great so far. I use several more companies, but these are my favs in the higher price range.

There are places too that seem to overprice and still the FO is awful. I bought some FO off a company on Ebay when I first started making CP soap, and not knowing what the price comparisons were. This company sold 1/2 oz bottles, 1 oz bottles and up. I bought some 1/2 oz bottles for almost $4.00!!!! I didn't know! Then when I got the FO it was awful.

Now I read posts, and swap with friends to get what I know will be good, regardless of price.

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for too. I used Sweetcakes Vanilla Sandalwood in Cp and it was a total disappointment. Absolutely died. I can't give that soap away. I've used some much less expensive Fo's that have done wonderfully also. You never really know until you try something.

Glo

Absolutely you can get a 'stinker' in ANY price oil, you need to try samples just like the cheaper oils. What throws good in my wax, may not in yours and you won't know till you test. I've had a few of the higher priced oils fail miserably, but I've had many, many more do great. I have probably 15+ suppliers I buy oils from and between the higher priced and lower priced, my average per lb. is right around $20.00. If you can't sell your candles for a profit with the more expensive ones, don't use them, that would be foolish to not make a GOOD profit. In my area I can get what I need to make a good buck, because my customers know I have quality candles and alot more unique scents that they can't get anywhere else!! :cool2:

I think some of WSP's fos also fall in this higher-end category. Some of them have layers & notes that make a wonderfully unique candle. Some of my favorites are even from the Budget Busters. You just have to test them & see what rings your bell!! They have a fair amount of "zeros" too. Carole

• 1 month later...

I have just recently found that The Candle Maker Store has awesome F.O's :shocked2: in "B-Grade", that sells for only like $12 a lb. I bought their Gingerbread Man and compared in to another supplier that i purchased Gingerbread Cookies from, and It was an amazing scent throw... just as good as the one i paid $9.00 8oz.. for.:yay:

Thanks, Leisa

i have no trouble with the candlesources oils and they are cheap, i use pure soy and i get an awesome throw with their oils.

I agree! Their oils are sooooo inexpensive but everyone I've tried has done very well in whatever I've put it in, even better than some of the more expensive places. I have to agree that it boils down to a "try and see" type of thing. What works for one will not work for another.

Best advise here is , buy samples and try them out. I have spent a boatload on a particular scent that got great reviews and hated them, hated them in soap and candles. So price is not always the consideration when choosing, I get oils from NG that my customers love and sell and throw like crazy, Peak's is another great supplier, more expensive than NG but well worth the money. Buy samples and decide for yourself. I made many mistakes buy by the lb instead of getting samples first.

Jen at Old Mill has some great smelling fragrances too. They throw great and are complex in b&b products. I am still so hung up on her Sandalwood Rose. Another great one of hers is her Christmas Cabin. It smells like Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel. http://www.oldmillfragrances.com/

The Scent Works has lots of nice fragrances too.

I know that SC oils are a bit highly priced and some do not work that well or have a strong scent (Ie their Brown Sugar and Fig, and their Amazing Grace kinda dissapointed me too, smells like petrol.) SW oils have always been worth the loot for me, their oils are to die for IMO. Save on Scents has a few that in the SOS concentration are just fine and super strong, but some are a bit on the weak side so you have to up the concentration grade, which still factors to what other companies sell theirs for.

I have used Madina fragrances for everything except soap, but I am not going to let one experience stop me. I did a hot process with a fragrance once that was yum! I do use their fragrances for everything else, and I must say they have thelargest selection of Designer Name fragrances if you are looking for that.

All in all, I dont think it is really the price that counts. Bear Labs' prices are super cheap but from what I hear their fragrances rock (getting readyt o try them out too, the guy who owns it is super nice!) You just have to try, and I think it is impossible to really have 1 supplier either, so trying new companies lets you try a lot more.

Bear Labs' prices are super cheap but from what I hear their fragrances rock (getting readyt o try them out too, the guy who owns it is super nice!)

The ones I tried from them awhile back were lousy, way too weak in my candles, I threw them out!!