Another scam....... maybe

Ok.. I just got an email from a company saying that they want my products for their sample boxes. They request that I send samples of my choice, and then they forward them out to their customer base. As soon as I started reading it, the red flags went up..

I have the ladies name, but also the company name that she gave me. She invited me to look thru her site and even gave me a link to a forums section. I am very leery bout this, and was hoping some of you mite have some insights on this.... the company is Lemming Central. any ideas?

Oh yes, I have insights...the last time I gave them the whole thread was quickly removed...let's see how fast this one disappears LOL.

1. you send them free samples (say 15 candles)

2. they put them in 15 different boxes along with several other

candlemakers product.

3. they re-use your box

4. they charge people to get the boxes full of your free product

5. they are making money hand over fist for simply repackaging free

product.

so, rule of thumb in advertising is to expect a 1% return (and that is good) so what the heck are you going to get out of sending them your product free?

Not much my friend except a lighter wallet.

SO GREAT IDEA FOR THEM

not so great for you. JMHO

the company is Lemming Central.

I'd be worried just by the name... remember the old video game "Lemmings"? they follow each other off a cliff because they can't think for themselves, they just follow the leader.

I just checked out their site. They arent doing anything illegal, but definantly immoral. Right up there with the "greatest vitamen in the world" or "earn thousands stuffing envelopes" scams. They cater to people who tend to fall for the get rich quick scams and "free xbox" (provided that you fill out 6 offers from their supporters).

Just like the scams mentioned above of course it isnt truly free. You pay a whopping $20 plus shipping for this supposedly free box. They dont actually pay for anything. Products are free (sent by companies at their own cost) and they dont pay for shipping either (customers do). They do however make a nice profit of $20 for every time someone falls for their sceme. I bet you anything its someone very much like the middle aged woman detailed in the other "scam" thread who sits there and waits for the money to come in.:mad: Pretty disgusting really. I doubt it would take more then one person to really "run" this operation.

Wow...Gotta get in on this because I am one of the people that runs a site like this...

First off...I do NOT reuse anyone's boxes. Every box that gets sent out is a new one. I use the boxes that the samples come in to store the samples in until i REPACKAGE them into other NEW boxes.

Secondly...I offer them for sale because A: It cost me 39.95 a month to run my website. B: I spend many many many hours on my site updating everything, taking pictures, answering many emails a day, advertising my site, plugging the site, adding banners and so on. And I literally do mean hours a day trying to build a reputable website to help you guys get your products out there.

Thirdly...I may profit some but believe me, its not a whole lot. If I were being paid for my time and effort I wouldn't make anything. I do pay for shipping out of the price and I have many participating Etailers this month and will most likely be using the large shipping boxes so right there will be 8.10 off what you think I make.

And I advertise their site for FREE on my website plus take pictures of their products and add them to their banner advertisement. When things are hectic with the site I can spend up to 8 hours updating this site. I put A LOT of time into building this site. What am I getting out of it? Pretty much nothing...so why do I do it? Because thats the kind of woman I am. I love to help people and by doing this I am helping YOU get your product out there to people that may have never even heard of you. I in exchange have lost a whole room in my house, don't have time to make as many candles as I used to and spend many late nights on this computer helping Etailers out.

So many of you think its a "rip off" but let me tell you, for what little profit I make doing all of this its still worth it to me. So making a few dollars on each box is NOTHING compared to the money I spend on advertising, running, maintaining and many long hours building this site. Its not something I just sat and did in 1 day and "boom" here I am just sitting collecting the money. This is a daily thing I maintain.

I'm sorry if I seem to be coming off strong about this but you don't understand what a BIG undertaking something like this is and how much time I put into it on a daily basis to run something like this all to help YOU out. So there is so much more repackaging than you all realize...

I just want you all to be clear one a few things...

I am NOT ripping anyone off, I make peanuts doing what I do and if anyone of you can do this cheaper than I...Please be my guest.

Sparkie, Glad to here you take the time to do it right and are legit.

I bet the others mentioned don't spend the time you do to do this and thus they are ripping off the people that send in products. Who knows the others may not send all the products out that are sent in, they may keep some for themselves. That is where the rip off, of this type of business, is coming from.

Thanks Candle man! I did BUY a box from the first month..I paid $8 to my paypal account for one...lol But every sample i get goes to those who buy a box...Now not saying there arn't samples i would love to try and if i do, i BUY a box from myself. Its a business and i treat it as such.

I honestly had no idea wow! It does make a bit more sense now and I applaud you for your effort (and for being legit). However the site mentioned in this post seems to be a little lax in the actual promotion part of the deal and the sample boxes were way more then $8. But thank you for clearing up a few things- now I (we) know that it is a legit and honest service :smiley2:

Whewww, there for a moment, I thought I WAS on Lemming Central.

Glad you cleared it up, Sparkie. There are many ways for us to get our products in the hands of potential buyers. This is just one of those ways. It's a bigger undertaking that I would care to handle.

Sorry guys, this isn't a scam - nor do I know anyone from Lemming Central.

I've been participating in Lemming Central's sample box for quite some time. Actually, I have participated in many different sampler boxes over the course of the last 2 years (they have been popping up everywhere!)

I have been successful in all of the boxes I participated in, including:

Market Outside of the Box

Lemming Central

The Little Black Boxes

I participate in the 50-100 sample offers so I am assured to get out in all the boxes. (but I have a budget especially for this as I don't do any advertising)

I put in a little sample of something along with a coupon that tracks orders specifically from that sample box. If I pay to get in a box and make exactly what I paid - plus a little more exposure and orders, I can't see how that hurts anyone.

Shit, my lawyer listens to me bitch and moan on the phone about something and charges me $145.00 - but we all gotta make money somehow! Kudos to the sample box people and God bless 'em for the kickass idea. Just wish I would have thought of it!!

edited to add: $39.95 a month is actually really cheap per month to run a professional site IMHO.

Thanks Candle man! I did BUY a box from the first month..I paid $8 to my paypal account for one...lol But every sample i get goes to those who buy a box...Now not saying there arn't samples i would love to try and if i do, i BUY a box from myself. Its a business and i treat it as such.

Kudo's for doin things right. There are so many people out there that are scamming and it makes the ones who are trying to do it right look really bad. It only takes 1 to run 100's .... For those that use or run these business that are legit, I say good job. Right now, I just do not have the budget to be sending that much free stuff out. Granted, it may get me business in the end, but with the economy the way it is, I have to preserve what I have... sorry if I caused a rift.... was not my intentions... :)

I think it was a very smart buiness idea..and so what if they make a few bucks for distributing your items all over the country..

I agree wish I would have thought of that.

I head of Lemming Central probably 1 or 2 years ago..and was going to actually buy a box before I would participated and just never did.

Sparkie..PM me your site and I will check it out. Rather work with a candletech member if I do this.

and I pay $29.95 for my site..and maintain it myself..but I have bucko options on my site..so that does not seem like to much to spend to me.