I made my very first 100% Soy candle last night from the complimentary wax sent to the IGCA for us by Candlewic

...and I can tell you, I am STILL laughing! Hard!

I followed the instructions to the letter....it is not a pretty picture:confused:

Might ought to :tiptoe: away from this stuff before I start thinking I can "help" it. LMAO

I made my very first 100% Soy candle last night from the complimentary wax sent to the IGCA for us by Candlewic

...and I can tell you, I am STILL laughing! Hard!

I followed the instructions to the letter....it is not a pretty picture:confused:

Might ought to :tiptoe: away from this stuff before I start thinking I can "help" it. LMAO

Uh oh...if that's the Soy 125 I suspect the results might be described as repulsive. Definitely :tiptoe: -- you have better things to do. Rest assured it's not your fault.

I started pouring candles with Cargill C3 and palm wax. Since I had not poured paraffin, I had no preconceptions. I have been VERY pleased with the results we have obtained with both soy and palm waxes - have even had good success with using soy for luminaries. I know it's difficult, but if you can forget your paraffin experience and simply bumble through with soy using the hints found right here, I think you will be pleased.

Or not. :grin2::grin2::grin2:

I have lots of PRECONCEPTIONS about paraffin and I don't think I could ever pour pure soy. In my experience with soy, I find it to be not pretty, no matter how healthy people say it is. It looks like throw-up when you have burned it a while. With that said, I think 1/3 or 1/4 soy blended with J223 or J50 makes a beautiful candle with good properties of each wax. I just tested Clarus 50/50 and that was a pretty wax. I love pure Palm in pillars, what a beautiful glow. But I will :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe: away from pure soy, IMHO. Carole

Yup, pure soy can be an UGLY beast!! We have made a few ourselves....and my partner has "no problem" with the way they look, but me......well, let's just say, I told her if we were selling them, her booth would be waaaayyyyyy over on the other side of the building! :P

But, we were asked too many times at the last few sales we did if we carried soy, so we are going to have to come up with something! We have a few pounds of GB464 on the way and keeping my fingers crossed that I can manage to look at the finished product! :laugh2:

By the way, Michael, that doesn't look half bad! We did some votives once that when we started burning, they took on a life of their own and contorted themselves into quite a mess.......it truly was HYSTERICAL!!

I'm burning a soy candle that I bought online. When it got here it looked like it threw up all over itself. It was ugly. Red with a bit of green that seemed to have grown out of it. Ugh. I lit it anyway and it smells really good and throws fairly well. It does have about 1/8 inch of hangup all around the 6oz tin. I've burned it for at least 3 hours each time and now the candle is more than 1/2 gone and the hangup is not catching up. I find that strange in a tin.

I was expecting a bumpy mutated candle, but it's smooth and I'm guessing a little frosted on top.
Lol, bumpy and mutated was the best I could get when I tried the Soy 125 without additives. Maybe that's the other Candlewic soy. It does look much better than I feared it would.

I have lots of PRECONCEPTIONS about paraffin and I don't think I could ever pour pure soy. In my experience with soy, I find it to be not pretty, no matter how healthy people say it is. It looks like throw-up when you have burned it a while.

We are in complete agreement! I will NEVER touch pure soy or a soy/veg blend again. It's just to danged ugly after you burn it.

Toss in a smidge of paraffin, and it's good to go. :D

When it got here it looked like it threw up all over itself. It was ugly. Red with a bit of green that seemed to have grown out of it. Ugh.

LOL - I didn't know how to describe my votive after it burned, BUT YOU DID!!! LOL

UGLY!!!!

So I thought, well jeese, this is an experienced candle guy here, how bad can it be?

Guess what, that's about right. Yup, that's what it looks like.

You did it correctly.

It's ugly like the rest of ours are.

Gonna burn it? I'm interested in what you think of the hot throw...and compare the throw to paraffins.

I'm trying a blend now. :rolleyes2

That doesn't look half bad compared to the 2 I poured this weekend! I had a bit of EzSoy left over that wouldn't fit in the buckets I store it in and thought I'd give it a whirl since paraffin is getting so expensive. First, I think I poured too hot and had a cracked flaky top. Then I hit them with the heat gun to try to smooth it out. Worked ok except for a couple of lumps and an air bubble. BUT, I looked at them several hours later and now have fragrance oil swimming all over the top. The WHOLE top of one is covered in FO. :shocked2: I used .8 oz. in 12 oz. of wax. I think I'll just keep the ezsoy for blending!

I do like soy...but I too gave up on it right away, and went for J223, which is a very forgiving paraffin to work with...I then decided to master the soy thing when the prices of paraffin went up...and guess what? Now that I've mastered it, I'm not going back to paraffin. I use C-3. I too did not care too much for EZ Soy...I would end up with too many "brains", "cauliflower heads", frosting up the yin-yang, what have you...even when poured at the slushy sate.