Double Wick Debate...

Hello, for ya'll that are pro double wicking I have food for thought. You've told me that you customers don't mind but... I might not be selling them currently and I might of never ran a business but business and finance are to me like cars are to other's my age... anyway, I did a marketing poll at a company ( ladies in there 40's on ave) my main goal was scent selection for this area, but.. I did add a question about single and double wick (even described what it meant) here are the results. out of 30 people who filled it only 2 prefered double wicked and well the rest are single ( aprox 3 of the survey were blank because they still did not understand) Just figure I'd give you some food for thought. now like I've said in the previous post I'm testing single lx-30 with j223 and it really is pretty good. I might try down wicking 1 or 2 , plus a wick companys giving me a sample of there 600' series to try out. I really don't think I'll suffer with single wicking my candles... J223 is a soft wax which has given me a full melt pool and minimal shrooming. Only thing I noticed is when I powerburn soot on the top of the apothary jar apears... but thats runing it for 12 hours at a time.

I'm acttually very serious about making candles.. I think of it as a product tho not a hobby and I'd like to get close to perfection as possible and constantly strive for a better one. I'd like to know everyones thoughts as to wicking theier candle ect... Oh ya... Now I know there are PLENTY of wicks posts but why hasn't a sticky composed of suggestions and testing been up? Thats a big questions and there really ain't a FAQ on that ( I know theres a million wick and waxes) but I'm sure we could come up with somthing that would be VERY helpfull for someone just starting. Not to mention I'm only what 2-4 weeks into this. HOURS spent already. ^_^ anyway, please comment, thanks for all you help soo far and I can't wait to post a finished product up on here for ya'll to critiq ( label and all)

I have tried using a single wick. After testing forever it seems, I could only get full melt pools with the lighter oils and never with heavy oils. Personally I would love to only do single wicks. I have asked my customers which way they would prefer, and most want the full melt pool with no residual wax on the sides of the container. So, at this point I am double wicking.

I am using apothecary jars. For my tumblers and smaller jars I single wick.

Honestly, I don't care so much what customers think they want. I believe that if given a choice, customers would choose a candle that doesn't soot much, if at all, when burned properly and that has a great throw. If double-wicking is what it takes to accomplish that, then I believe that customers would gladly agree to a double wicked candle. My goal is to make a great burning candle and if double-wicking is the best way to accomplish that, then that's what I'll do.

Honestly, I don't care so much what customers think they want. I believe that if given a choice, customers would choose a candle that doesn't soot much, if at all, when burned properly and that has a great throw. If double-wicking is what it takes to accomplish that, then I believe that customers would gladly agree to a double wicked candle. My goal is to make a great burning candle and if double-wicking is the best way to accomplish that, then that's what I'll do.

I couldn't agree more. Overwhelmingly, scent throw is the most important thing in a customer's mind when judging a candle, followed by burn properties. Furthermore, a sample size of 30 people, in one part of the country (one single office, in fact) is so statistically insignificant that it's not really even worth discussing. I'll go a step further and say that, if 10% of the small number of people polled didn't understand the question, then you might as well throw it out as completely meaningless.

Jbarbagallo: There is no one answer to wicking and I guarantee the only way you can find the answers is by trial & error and a lot more than 2 to 4 weeks testing. You can get advice here but you still have to do the work yourself. I single wick when I can and double wick when I have to. You will probably not find a sticky with wicking instructions.

I have to agree with Jane and Angela......whether a candle is double or single wicked, my customers could care less. They want a great scent throw and no soot. I marathon test burn my double wicked candles at my job, in my office for 9 hours a day and little trimming of my LX wicks. My double wicked jars give me a great throw, out my office into the hall and down the stairs. People can smell it when they walk in the downstairs door. I have no sooting on my jar even burning the last 1-1/2".......THAT'S what my customers look for and they don't care how I achieve it.

I tried a single 700 series wick & Eco wick and got a full melt pool, but not as good a scent throw and there was sooting. Since my business is booming, I guess I'll stick with my double LX wicks.....if it ain't broke, I'm not gonna fix it!!! :cool2:

Looks like I pushed a few buttons on this question, I figured a majority double wicked I just wanted your veiws, and no it really ain't going to help me out. just wanted to know what everone thought. But as to my little poll that people have pushed off. Think for a second, you all might not like yankee but like many of you said they spend $$$ when it comes to marketing and research to come out single wicked.. just putting that past ya's. can't wait to get flamed ^_^

and of course I'm going to test out double wicking, if I don't see a major change compared to whats going on now then I'll keep a single but I have an open mind to change things. and 2 that two - four week comment that someone posting thinkin that ain't long. I've spent many more hours then you think researching ^_^ my first dozen test candles came out flawless, well untill I burned'em :)

Looks like I pushed a few buttons on this question, I figured a majority double wicked I just wanted your veiws, and no it really ain't going to help me out. just wanted to know what everone thought. But as to my little poll that people have pushed off. Think for a second, you all might not like yankee but like many of you said they spend $$$ when it comes to marketing and research to come out single wicked.. just putting that past ya's. can't wait to get flamed ^_^

Nobody cares what Yankee does because their candles are crap and they don't throw. If that's what you are trying achieve, your 2 to 3 weeks of chandling should put you in good position to compete with them. Obviously, they don't spend any money on research. Just marketing. Looks like you're on the same track asking potential customers silly questions when you should be testing and determining your own needs when it comes to producing a quality product.

Too funny, soo your saying I'm not allowed to get the customers opionin? LOL and u'r assuming I'm not doing my own testing. Cracking me up... I don't care how muc ya'll hate yankee notice there doing something right... people by there candles stop making up BS and learn from them, I ain't saying they have quality because they don't I've been burning them to find out.. but, they must be doing something right. Are you jelous? because there making millions? I'd concentrate on what there doing to MARKET then and produce quality candles instead of saying oh ... yankee's crap... just pisses me off.

....most of use double wick because we have to, not because we just want to. Believe me, if I could single wick a decent looking jar with soy, with a single wick, I would. I think you are missing the point of the single wicking vs. the double wicking.

....and to add....both of the yankme candles I bought both seeped FO out of the top of the wax, sooted like a freight train and tunneled down the middle. I am not jealous of yankme, quite the opposite.

Perfect point, I like how you presented that. and this was just suppose to be u'r thought on why you double wick ect.. but business is business your yankme's actually pulling in 660million, so lets look what there doing right? It's all about the scent more or less, it might look ugly but people buy 'em because they can smell 'em... am I correct? magine if ya'll could acttualy mass market your perfected product that gives off perfect scent but soots 100% less and acttualy burns right... but I belive 90% of ya'll don't think like that. satisfied with what customer base you have and don't know how to effiecently expand what you do have? of course correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only assuming since ya'll HATE yankee's candles but do nothing about it (in a big way)

P.S. this is more constructive than anything, try not to take it as bashing and its not towards everyone as a whole.. As some love how there busniess is going. Like I said in a previous post why can you hate a company and everything about it when there pulling in 660 million and your talking about u'r few consumers? if anything and I'll repeat it again learn from something that big... improve upon it but learn at least somthing... jeez.

but I belive 90% of ya'll don't think like that. satisfied with what customer base you have and don't know how to effiecently expand what you do have? of course correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only assuming since ya'll HATE yankee's candles but do nothing about it (in a big way)
If you'd like to compete with Yankee "in a big way" start shopping your business plan around to venture capitalists because you're going to need some backing. I assume there'll be a an important section in there about the double wicking poll and how it's going to facilitate capturing significant market share. Be sure to mention that part in the executive summary so they don't miss it.

Is this a Yankee debate or double wicking?

Yankee's success as a household name for middle of the road priced candles is all about MARKETING. They spend millions of dollars each year just on advertising. I am not against Yankee in the least, I personally think their candles are poor quality, but guess what? People will still buy them. They are considered affordable to the average consumer. Yankee spends big money on product development and finding out what the average household can afford to spend on impulse items. They carefully research each and every aspect of their selling points. Its ALL about sales, baby.

Not every single candle loving individual knows what tunneling, wetspots or a pour burn truly is. Yankee is down on their sales right now. I don't blame it on their quality. It's the fact that most people's disposable income is being depleted on consumables like gas and electric, rising taxes and a shit economy due to the war. It has NOTHING to do with their scent throw, burn qualities or appearance. Because your average Joe Blow doesn't have a clue.

On the double wicking, it all depends on your candle system so to speak.

The wider the jar, the more likely it is that you will have to double wick. Especially if you are using the natural waxes. It really is all about what works for you in your candlemaking experiences. If you don't want to ever have to double wick, stick to a container with a diameter of less than 3 inches.

Is this a Yankee debate or double wicking?

Yankee's success as a household name for middle of the road priced candles is all about MARKETING. They spend millions of dollars each year just on advertising. I am not against Yankee in the least, I personally think their candles are poor quality, but guess what? People will still buy them. They are considered affordable to the average consumer. Yankee spends big money on product development and finding out what the average household can afford to spend on impulse items. They carefully research each and every aspect of their selling points. Its ALL about sales, baby.

Not every single candle loving individual knows what tunneling, wetspots or a pour burn truly is. Yankee is down on their sales right now. I don't blame it on their quality. It's the fact that most people's disposable income is being depleted on consumables like gas and electric, rising taxes and a shit economy due to the war. It has NOTHING to do with their scent throw, burn qualities or appearance. Because your average Joe Blow doesn't have a clue.

On the double wicking, it all depends on your candle system so to speak.

The wider the jar, the more likely it is that you will have to double wick. Especially if you are using the natural waxes. It really is all about what works for you in your candlemaking experiences. If you don't want to ever have to double wick, stick to a container with a diameter of less than 3 inches.

well said!

Top the sarcasm has me rolling!!!!!

I brought up yankee because they work with only single wick, and it is all about scent throw ( research a study or two ) people buy them because they (for the most part) have de nicent throw andce smells. but hey, everyone has there own little veiws and I guess mines diffrent ^_^ no biggy. and ya the economy took a hit from the tech crash and ever since has been ehh to say the best.. the war ain't helping (I know first hand I was over there for a year) and well I don't even feel we got anything acomplished over there but stirring up a civil war. anyway back on point.. scent throw is a top priority for consumers... and even tho they spend boatloads of money on marketing it comes down to that fact.. you think that marketing would do squat if the product didn't prove itself to be the least worthy? I'll stop I'm in a rare mood..

I am all about research, and scent throw might be on the top of the list.

But a blackened country style jar and the same old run of the mill scents that make others swoon with delight do nothing for me. If you want a nice candle~ try a Diptyque, Archipelago or a Tocca candle.

Your views are not in question, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It appears that you are very defensive here. Why? If you feel you can make a candle with a single wick that blows the doors off a house, well have at it!

I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for". Yankee candles are not expensive.

And being that they are mass manufactured, they will never have the quality of a well designed, handcrafted candle.

I brought up yankee because they work with only single wick, and it is all about scent throw ( research a study or two ) people buy them because they (for the most part) have de nicent throw andce smells. but hey, everyone has there own little veiws and I guess mines diffrent ^_^ no biggy. and ya the economy took a hit from the tech crash and ever since has been ehh to say the best.. the war ain't helping (I know first hand I was over there for a year) and well I don't even feel we got anything acomplished over there but stirring up a civil war. anyway back on point.. scent throw is a top priority for consumers... and even tho they spend boatloads of money on marketing it comes down to that fact.. you think that marketing would do squat if the product didn't prove itself to be the least worthy? I'll stop I'm in a rare mood..

I seriously doubt that Yank#### is sucessful because they don't double wick. I have many wholesale accounts and the reason I have them is because the quailty of my candles , scent throw, appearance etc.... is something they prefer over Yank######. For the people who want a reasonalbly priced, cleaner burning candle, with great scent throw, they will buy mine. There are definetly other factors, they don't have to make a huge investment. I make and ship candles all over the country, and people pay the shipping because, they simply like my candles better. This business, for me, is not about competing with Yank###### that is not at all in my game plan, it is about making and selling products I believe in, it is simple. If you believe in your product then you have no issues here. Of course those of us who have been double wicking our large jars for years are going to take your poll with a grain of salt. Sorry but that is the bottom line. Double wicks have never been an issue for me and my ability to market and sell my candles. It really is kind of a wasted debate as many of the members of this board double wick and sell well. I wish there was a magic wick for every container and every jar, and every wax ,would make my life a whole lot easier.

I could not have said it better myself! :yay: :yay: :yay: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!