Sales Reps and People Stealing your ideas

barncat

Sales Reps SUCK!!! pissed.gif Just had one stab me in the back and brought in a new company that mysteriously looks like mine and has the same scents.....and dropped me and stole my merchandise out of my booth. We've been fighting over $$ that she claims I owe her. Then also go to find out a customer of mine is now selling the exact same items wholesale. Is there no creativity out there??? Must you copy everything to the Tee? Fortunately for me I had an EXCELLENT show and the customers came to me and said...it took us a while...but we knew it wasn't you, and found me. And they said how they never cared for us and glad we are not with them anymore. So now lawsuits are pending withth rep and me, and found out she has done this to others as well, Making a few contacts and potentially joining up with another cusotmers that is suing her for $100k and trying to put here out of business. No more reps.....I'm done with lying knieving greedy vampirescussing.gif

Sorry that happened.

If I ever hire reps or employes I will have a non-compete agreement for them to sign if they want to work for me.

The agreement would include...

could not work for anyone in my line of business for 2 years after leaving. Could not open a business of anything I do for 2 years or within 50 miles (as the crow flies not road miles) of me after leaving.

Also they would not be able to see my customer list, supplier list & I would limit what they could do. They would never know how to make a candle from start to finish. Me or someone else would mix up the wax then they could just pour & package/label. I would keep my FO locked up so they could not see any supplier names on them. I also would not let them check-in any supplies that come in.

These are things you just have to do now of days or someone will stab you in the back.

Is this leagel & will it hold up in court, yes, at least in my state. I know of a business (totally different than mine) in my state that has sells reps and makes them sign a non-compete agreement in order for them to work for them.

I'm a strong believer in Non Compete forms but my mom who owns a totally different business has had this issue come up at least 10 x's a week. You have to keep on it. It's easier if you have only a few employees and you are able to keep tabs on them. Unlike my mom who has over 100 employees. Also it takes alot of time and MONEY to go after each person that doesn't care that they signed that paper and does it anyway.

I think it's a really good idea to do that especially if your going to have reps that sell your product. Just keep reminding them what they signed and what it means.

I know that it sucks that she copied everything, I also had a lady that just started selling candles she has every scent that I have, the jars are the same, and even her name is almost identical to mine. So here I am after testing it feels like forever, and have to start all over again.

I wish you luck and hope that you win the case against her.

Mindy :)

I made EVERYONE (INCLUDING my mother in law, sister and nephew) sign a 5 year 500 mile agreement after leaving - even the little 17 year old that just sits at the register looking pretty checking out customers had to sign it.

You can never be too safe!

Jenny,

Would you mind sharing yours? I would love to see what you have it there.

You expect it out of your employees, which I have them all sign, but never though of something like this. Can't have customers sign them, no worries, they are not as nice, and are more expensive. And the other company, tthey were given one of my catalogs and copied, so not much you can do there. but hey, I have MY creativity, which know one can steal, just makes me a better thinker now!! The brain is storming with new ideas.

I don't think it's legally binding with a 17 year old..they have to be 18, no contract is legal with minor..including any and all loans,sales, and credit cards etc there maybe a loop hole with a parents siggy on student loans but otherwise your sol if just the kid signs it...

Sides I would worry more about other candle makers trying to steal your product ideas/business then anyone including family etc...that's just me though since I have personally experienced it. They even try to pretend to be a potential customer to get your info...

I made EVERYONE (INCLUDING my mother in law, sister and nephew) sign a 5 year 500 mile agreement after leaving - even the little 17 year old that just sits at the register looking pretty checking out customers had to sign it.

You can never be too safe!

I cannot go with what you are saying about business but have worked on being a volunteer doing something and found just recently I was stabbed in the back like no one else can imagine.I made alot of money for these 2 people and boy what i found out.It was my granddaugter they told it in front of so she would tell me.I am so glad.It was several hours of just talk and I was amazed.You just never know BUT I will NEVER trust anyone now.I was kinda a leary person anyway but now I am for sure.I had a policy I never would talk or gossip and found out that is what was done to me.So I can hold my head up and you can too.Dont look back just move forward and you will become a better person.

My name was never said but my granddaughter is 11 and what she said it all made sense.I have pretty much been asked to come back because at first they were not sure WHY I left but just knew I was sticking my nose in the air( I just couldn't look them in the eye).Now they know and they understand I won't be back.

All I can say to you is you know your products are good and you know you are a good business person and move forward. It might not work out for them and they might come back to you.It happened to me but my pride was damaged to bad.I didn't make money but did make it for them.They thought I needed them and would never leave but found out different. Hold you head up HIGH.MOVE FORWARD.I have.

I am working harder on my business now.In fact just took 12 candles to a place and sold 8 to 2 people.Not that many there so I did good.Craft season is almost here so I am moving along.Those who disrepected me were also good customers but don't want their business. REALLY DON'T

LynnS

I don't think it's legally binding with a 17 year old..they have to be 18, no contract is legal with minor..including any and all loans,sales, and credit cards etc there maybe a loop hole with a parents siggy on student loans but otherwise your sol if just the kid signs it...

Sides I would worry more about other candle makers trying to steal your product ideas/business then anyone including family etc...that's just me though since I have personally experienced it. They even try to pretend to be a potential customer to get your info...

I *think* if it is work related it is binding. I know I had to sign a few contracts when I worked before I was 18. They did not include my parents siggys either. These were not mom n pops, but corp. So I am sure there was some legality there. Better check in your state to be sure though!

I *think* if it is work related it is binding. I know I had to sign a few contracts when I worked before I was 18. They did not include my parents siggys either. These were not mom n pops, but corp. So I am sure there was some legality there. Better check in your state to be sure though!

Looked into it...doesn't matter a minor is a minor...States can range from 18-all the way to 21 but rest assured anyone under18 is a minor and no matter what they sign is not legally binding...no matter what state...legal min age is 18...no less....so whatever you signed as an employee from a big corp is null and void....

• 2 weeks later...