Alternative to disintegrating dropper tops?

I've just had it with replacing dropper tops on liquid dyes. The rubber never seems to last long and the whole thing is just annoying and expensive. I use FC&F and don't want to change dyes right now, so I wonder if anyone has advice on the best way to solve this problem.

My thought is to switch to HDPE bottles with yorker caps. I figure if I get the ones where you punch your own hole I can make just a small one. That way I can control dispensing with a little squeeze instead of having the dye drip out. No sure if the dye will maybe seep around the cap or evaporate too fast.

Any other clever ideas?

Top I've only had three of those go bad, and a couple on the verge, but using caps in any form still gets messy. Not sure there's really going to be a better way. It definitely isn't unscrewing the lid and using a stick to transfer drops to wax.

Top I've only had three of those go bad, and a couple on the verge, but using caps in any form still gets messy. Not sure there's really going to be a better way. It definitely isn't unscrewing the lid and using a stick to transfer drops to wax.
Anything but the droppers. I'm just sick of replacing them. Mine seem to go bad faster than yours, but apparently it isn't a unique problem. http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17048

What would be excellent is if there's a dropper out there that's resistant to the solvent.

I have always had a problem with that too. Lonestar finally just gave us a small bag of them to replace them in the bottles when needed. You might be on to something with the bottle with the yorker caps. I will have to ponder this a little more.

Top, don't know if these would work for you, but they're worth looking at:

http://www.purrfection.com/stamps/tools.htm (2nd and 3rd items down--Needle Nose Applicator Bottle and 1 oz. Micro Tip Applicator Bottle, respectively). I have no idea what type of plastic they are made of, but they say the Needle Nose Bottle can be used for fabric dyes and paints. They look like the squeeze top screws on (like the Yorker caps), as opposed to just popping on which is where you could potentially get the dreaded blow out!

HTH

Top, don't know if these would work for you, but they're worth looking at:

http://www.purrfection.com/stamps/tools.htm (2nd and 3rd items down--Needle Nose Applicator Bottle and 1 oz. Micro Tip Applicator Bottle, respectively). I have no idea what type of plastic they are made of, but they say the Needle Nose Bottle can be used for fabric dyes and paints. They look like the squeeze top screws on (like the Yorker caps), as opposed to just popping on which is where you could potentially get the dreaded blow out!

HTH

Thanks much!

I started looking around this afternoon and saw how many different kinds of drop dispenser bottles there are, including those needle ones. I guess most are more expensive than what the suppliers sell in, but if they're hassle free and durable it might be worth it. I'm going to put an end to this problem one way or another, LOL.

These seemed interesting. http://www.labsafety.com/search/default.htm?Ntx=mode%2Bmatchpartialmax&Ntt=dropper&N=539+4294949751&Ntk=LSSSearch&dept_id=35599

These look like they might be excellent. Just like Visine eyedrops and the like. http://www.labsafety.com/search/default.htm?Ntx=mode%2Bmatchpartialmax&Ntt=dropper&N=539+4294911146&Ntk=LSSSearch&dept_id=35600

And of course Candlechem has the economical yorker and flip top bottles. Arnie says they work great and he's thinking of switching to them, but I know for a fact the yorkers get pretty messy because Pryme dye comes in them. You really have to use a paper towel to remove and replace the cap.

The Sage sells those little dropper bottles at a much lower cost. You can utilize USPS Priority shipping wih this company as well.

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/UniqueItems.html

Also that crazy site Garf likes- let me find it. It's all labware and scientific testing supplies. You could get the same results and more durability with a European dropper bottle, that has a orfice reducer and is made of glass. If you want to throw your money away, send your excess to me via Paypal. LMAO!! :P

I don't know what the "yorker bottle" looks like, but the new bottles from WSP dyes do work very well. They are the only ones I don't have trouble with. I need to do something with all my Lone Star dyes.
These are the yorkers. http://www.labsafety.com/search/default.htm?Ntx=mode%2Bmatchpartialmax&Ntt=dispensing+bottle&N=539+4294927058&Ntk=LSSSearch&dept_id=35594

The WSP ones look like those "Visine" droppers but it's hard to tell from the pics.

The Sage sells those little dropper bottles at a much lower cost. You can utilize USPS Priority shipping wih this company as well.

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/UniqueItems.html

I wish those could work, considering the price. They say not to use them for FO and I wonder if that's because it eats them or just because it's LDPE and too much air gets in.

I wish those could work, considering the price. They say not to use them for FO and I wonder if that's because it eats them or just because it's LDPE and too much air gets in.

I never read that. That's what I bought them for. The droppers work great for my FO's, I'll have to give them a call. How much would 1% of 1/4 oz be? I usually dilute with DPG but I'm sure not as much as I should. I have some bottles filled with FO that I have had for over 2 yrs.

Love droppers, the ones that seemed to go bad had a plastic dropper not glass. In my case, that is. I get my glass bottles with droppers from RE.

I never read that. That's what I bought them for. The droppers work great for my FO's, I'll have to give them a call. How much would 1% of 1/4 oz be? I usually dilute with DPG but I'm sure not as much as I should. I have some bottles filled with FO that I have had for over 2 yrs.
Well I guess the FO doesn't eat them. I've noticed that most bottles sold with the dropper tips are LDPE, which makes them softer and more permeable. I bought HDPE bottles and dropper tips seperately. The sizes are compatible on paper so hopefully it'll all fit together.

1% of 1/4 oz is pretty miniscule - maybe like 3 drops from a glass dropper.

Thank you, Bugtussle. That explains it: I was looking for empty dropper bottles not already full of dye. They have a good selection and I might have to look into them. I know you said you like the bottles but how about the dyes themselves?

Thanks Top, 3 drops well I'm way over that. The bottles say CLASSIC on the bottom and I bought them before they were pictured on their web. Never asked if I could put FO in them, bet I have over 400 left. Had to buy big cause of better price and shipping..... you know? Add them to my car scents, when I make them.

Thank you, Bugtussle. That explains it: I was looking for empty dropper bottles not already full of dye. They have a good selection and I might have to look into them. I know you said you like the bottles but how about the dyes themselves?
Jeff, I'm guessing those are the French Color & Fragrance dyes. They have a lot of pre-mixed colors. Most suppliers just carry a subset of them and use different names for some of the colors, but I think I recognize the line. I use them and they seem pretty good. You can get an even wider selection from Candlechem on e-Bay.

Do you not have any problem with the plastic bottles?

One of the reasons I changed to Lonestar's dyes is because the plastic bottles that my other liquid dyes came in changed color to the color of the dye inside them over time. And, of course, if your bottle was glass you couldn't squeeze it for the other-type top so it looks like it's "six of one or a half dozen of the other!"

in regards to the WSP dyes and bottles: I don't like the bottles at all. It is hard to control the size of the drop you get. Mine often leak out an extra drop as you are pulling the bottle back to up right position. I still end up with a bit of the mess.

The dye is ok but not the black