i'm all about smell....

MsDammit

question is, how much is too much? I've cp'd using 1 oz per lb, but the scent just isn't strong enough for me. I've also tried 2oz per lb and was much happier with the results-I've used it and was great but i' just wondering if u use too much FO could it cause irritation?

Oh Boy! I've never used those fragrances, but I haven't heard a single bad thing about them either, so I'm not sure what to say on that. Is it possible that you have "candle nose" or "soap nose" in this case? lol. Maybe you're immunie to certain scents and are just having trouble smelling them right now? Could you have someone else smell them for you to see if they think they are strong? If I used that much fragrance in soap, I'm not kidding, it would run us all out of the house.

Wow. If I used that much it would be oozing out all over the place. Even though soap is a wash off product, I think that much could be very irritating. Soap isn't like a candle, unless you're just using it as a room freshener. It's going to be a lot stronger in the shower - have you taken these to the shower yet and smelled them in hot water and steam?

2 oz per pound oils is 10%. Pretty strong for b&b.

NO your not a freak:D SOme FO's just dont hold up well in Cp no matter how much you put in.For instance most peaches, Coconuts I had tried you can barely smell them then next morning. So I think it just may be the FO.

I have soaped several of the Old Mill Fragrances - I find they are very very light! Off the top of my head I have soaped Baton Rouge, Bacca de Miel and Blackberry Vienesse Latte and found each of them to be light on the fragrance. I certainly wouldn't go up to 2 oz pp, jeez - way too expensive but use them in other applications......

I'm w/ you MsDammit I like a strong smelling bar and use between .7 up to 1oz pp.

I luv MC's FO BUT for the most part IMO they aren't for soaps (I've learned that through experience). Soy candles, Lotions, whip butter, sprays, scrubs etc YES. I've starting using FO's from places that are for soaps and have better luck. I like A Scent Shop, RE, Oregon Trails, and NG's soap FOs. I'm sure others who are more experienced can give you more sources.

I'm w/ you MsDammit I like a strong smelling bar and use between .7 up to 1oz pp.

I luv MC's FO BUT for the most part IMO they aren't for soaps (I've learned that through experience). Soy candles, Lotions, whip butter, sprays, scrubs etc YES. I've starting using FO's from places that are for soaps and have better luck, I'm sure the higher the flashpoint the better the scent/FO is for handmade soap. I like A Scent Shop, RE, Oregon Trails, and NG's soap FOs. I'm sure others who are more experienced can give you more sources.

I have never heard that before! why would a high flash point work better for soap? I am curious!

wow I feel like a fool (not really though as I'm still learning too). I will change the statement above so I don't lead anyone astray.

Scented why do manufacturers say to add the FO at a certain temp?? I know that answer as far as bonding w/ the wax, BUT I've read that if you add it at too high a temp that it will burn off. So that statement isn't true??

:tiptoe: off to change my statement above!!