Help! Please

Hi,

i sold an 8 oz candle tin over a week ago, the customer has had the candle for about a week and has just email me to say that after the candle had been lit for an hour hot wax spat all over. I test and test all my candles so am sure my candle would not do this, i so the customer could in fact be making it up- as they have had the candle for over a week. I don't know how to reply to them- this is the first time a customer has ever complained and i have sold lots of the same candle tins before with no complaints.

Below is a copy of the email:

I purchased the above candle from you. I gave it to my partner as a gift who lit it last night. after about an hours burning, we were horrified to notice that the hot wax had spat all over the furniture and walls, causing damage that could not be rectified! My partner was very upset. I'm not emailing you for sympathy, I just thought you might appreciate knowing what had happened, as I would imagine it will happen again to other customers of yours. It may just be this particular fragrance ??? It cannot be anything to do with the way it was lit as there is only one way to light a candle, im sure you agree.

I await your comments

I really would appreciate some advice on this- as i am confident in my products and dont see how this could have happened.

I would ask for the candle to be sent back to you at your cost and please to include any pictures of the damage so you can get an accurate idea of what "spat all over the furniture and walls" means to them. Then if they really aren't pulling for a freebie you can offer them a replacement (in another scent) and go back and try to figure out what happened, it may have just been they had the candle near a strong draft or door that caused the spattering of wax.

Sami

Nope doesn't sound like she's looking for sympathy at all....more like money. Tell her to take a picture of the damage and the candle and send it to you.

Edited to say if she claims they cleaned it all up if the wax was dyed there will still be evidence on the walls from the dye....Not even a strong draft would cause the wax to splatter all over the wall and there would be no flame to keep a pool, it would have to be a tsunami!!! lmao......Honestly sounds like a scam to me..

I'd do the same, but when you get the candle, I'd be looking at it and seeing what may have caused the problem. In addition, I would probably offer to send a replacement.

You might ask where it was burned or for a picture of it in the position where it was burning. That pix might show a fan in the vicinity and it might not, but you're wanting a pix of the candle in the surroundings as well.

Hey Christy NE nice to see you again (lindak). Anywhoo i was thinking the exact same thing you were, they aren't looking for a replacement i think they are fishing here. Asking for pics may not solve your problem as those can be easily fabricated. To be safe and see what their motives are you can email back as ask them if they would like a replacement candle and if so they will need to send back the candle so you can investigate it further. Don't incriminate yourself.....put the ball back in their court and see how they respond because most people that want a replacement candle or refund will ask for that right away...

Hey Christy NE nice to see you again (lindak). Anywhoo i was thinking the exact same thing you were, they aren't looking for a replacement i think they are fishing here. Asking for pics may not solve your problem as those can be easily fabricated. To be safe and see what their motives are you can email back as ask them if they would like a replacement candle and if so they will need to send back the candle so you can investigate it further. Don't incriminate yourself.....put the ball back in their court and see how they respond because most people that want a replacement candle or refund will ask for that right away...

Hey girl!! Yeah I guess you can fabricate but who would put the time into that for a candle? Course people never cease to amaze me. 9 times out of ten when people claim something was broken or didn't work and you ask them to send it back @ your cost and you never hear from them.

I had that woman last year say my candle did something and I told her I would gladly replace it for her, could I please have the four digit number off the bottom of the jar for the lot #...yeah she supplied one.....ahhhh I don't have four digit numbers on my labels...doh!!!! lmao...I still love that one...

Honestly, from working in customer service for so long, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and offer her either her money back, for the return of the candle, or a replacement, also after the 'bad' candle has been returned. Most often when a customer takes the time to let you know about a problem they are being honest. Yes, there are scammers and liars and the like out there, but how many people would take the time to do something like that for an 8 oz candle tin?

Not to say that what she says actually did happen, but if she's being honest think how embarassed she might be to have given the candle as a gift and have it ruin someone's furniture (or whatever it was).

I'd reply first with a sincere apology, then an explanation that you extensively test your candles and have never had this happen. Let her know that you value her business and as such you are happy to either replace the candle *or* refund her money... after the so-called defective candle is returned. Then document absolutely everything, in case she tries to sue for damages.

The only time I've ever seen a candle splatter was when my husband blew it out too hard. He moved some AIR when he blew it out, and oops hot red wax all over the counter and the mirror behind it. Someone may have done that and just not told anyone... I agree with the offer of a replacement after she returns it..

Could it possibly be that there was an air hole near the wick? I know it's unlikely but it sounds to me like what happens with air pockets!

Something like only 5% of dissatisfied customers actually complain (meaning 20 other customers may have had this problem and not told you about it!), so I'd take her seriously and make sure she's happy.

Give her a freebie on this occasion and she might become a loyal customer. But do make sure you get the candle back so you can have a good look at it. Try lighting it yourself (on some newspaper!) and see what happens.

On the other hand, people don't half do some strange things with candles in their own homes and she may well be trying to get something for nothing - there isn't just one way to burn a candle! But word of mouth is important with small businesses and making her happy is better than having her bad mouth you to all her mates. Spend a fiver now instead of risking losing potential future sales would be my advice.

In her email to you she says, "I am not emailing you for sympathy" that could be taken as a threat but I don't take it as such. (yet)

Because: she then says, "I just thought you might appreciate knowing what happened, as I imagine it will happen again to other customers of yours."

While it is possible, I wouldn't automatically assume that this is someone who is after money. I think that in this particular case I would try to work with this lady.

When she says, "causing damage that cannot be rectified" maybe she is saying that since according to their terms - it cannot be set right, then they don't expect it to be set right.

Up to this point she hasn't asked for anything except for your comments. I believe that if I were going to "put the ball back in their court" (which I think is a good idea, btw) I would do so with kindness and warm courtesy for now.

If in fact she is fishing, that will come out soon enough. So, when I responded to her I might use phrases like "you had this experience" rather than "my candle blew up". Also I agree with Bella Luna, especially the last paragraph.

I think it's odd that she's claiming there were permanent damages (damage that could not be rectified), but is not asking for any restitution. I just think she's trying to see what freebies she can get from you just by scaring you into making an offer. Don't offer her anything. Just ask her to please send you photos, and to return the candle, because your attorney would like to examine the candle and the damage.

If she says she no longer has the candle, and that the wax has been cleaned up, I'd think she was full of it from the beginning.

*snip* Don't offer her anything. Just ask her to please send you photos, and to return the candle, because your attorney would like to examine the candle and the damage.

If she says she no longer has the candle, and that the wax has been cleaned up, I'd think she was full of it from the beginning.

With all due respect, I think this would make the customer upset and defensive. For the sake of customer service, at the very least a replacement should be offered, along with an apology.

It doesn't have to be, "Oh my gosh I'm so sorry that my candle damaged some of your stuff!" It can be said without admitting any guilt... "I'm so sorry to hear that ____ was damaged".

Giving the customer the benefit of the doubt (again, this is not to say that your candle was actually defective or caused damage), put yourself in her shoes. You give a candle as a gift only to hear that *somehow* wax got all over and ruined some of your friend's things... So you contact the person you purchased it from and they ask for pictures and for you to return the candle so you can show it to your attorney. No offer of a refund or a replacement. I don't know about anyone else, but I would be apalled and upset.

I absolutely agree with being polite and certainly would not say to have my lawyer look at it....but offering a replacement before seeing the actual candle and damage is going to put a chandler in the poor house, I don't care if they get defensive or not, I want it back.

Eveyone mentions bad CS with a company can spread like wild fire well so can't suckaaaaaa..:tiptoe: We all obviously know to be polite, that goes without saying, or at least I would hope so but I would also not send any replacement until the product came back and not 3/4's burned either.

Yes it is only an 8oz tin but what if she has twenty friends....I honestly hate being a pesimist but a candle that splatters all over the table and walls??? Not even an air pocket would do that it would just drop down into the void and the flame would be huge...

I for one cannot wait to hear the outcome of this...

With all due respect, I think this would make the customer upset and defensive. For the sake of customer service, at the very least a replacement should be offered, along with an apology.

It doesn't have to be, "Oh my gosh I'm so sorry that my candle damaged some of your stuff!" It can be said without admitting any guilt... "I'm so sorry to hear that ____ was damaged".

Giving the customer the benefit of the doubt (again, this is not to say that your candle was actually defective or caused damage), put yourself in her shoes. You give a candle as a gift only to hear that *somehow* wax got all over and ruined some of your friend's things... So you contact the person you purchased it from and they ask for pictures and for you to return the candle so you can show it to your attorney. No offer of a refund or a replacement. I don't know about anyone else, but I would be apalled and upset.

The only time I've ever seen a candle splatter was when my husband blew it out too hard. He moved some AIR when he blew it out, and oops hot red wax all over the counter and the mirror behind it. Someone may have done that and just not told anyone... I agree with the offer of a replacement after she returns it..
That's just what I was thinking. That happened to me once.

Hi, just incase anyone was interest i email this customer back two days ago shortly after posting this message, i requested they email me some photos of the candle and of the damage. I was very polite but without admitting guilt. Anyway as of yet they have not replied! And i have a feeling they will not. So thanks

• 1 month later...