Pics of first CP

Ok I made my CP last night as most of you know, I didn't spray or line my mould with anything. Carolgrant advised me to try to lever it out with something which i did. I ended up breaking it all in half so i have very thin, half soaps...lol like i said in my other thread it was a bit of a half a$$ed attempt anyways i got antsy to make soap :D . So after finally getting it out of the mould I ended up with heaps of little baby soaps about 2inch square and managed to get 2 pretty good sized soaps out of the whole batch. But me being a perfectionist tried to get it squared off and level..... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: . Needless to say my good size soap kept getting smaller, and smaller and smaller. So i decided to stoap while i still had some soap left. I tongue tested and no zap so thinking that's a good thing, don't taste too good though..hehe.

My mother in law was here she pinched a scrap to try and LOVED IT TO PIECES. And has decided she wants all my little babies and they made all her jewellery super super shiny.. So cut a long story short I'm gonna have to invest in something decent to cut soaps. Not much talent in that area for me.

Turns out I have more scraps then soap....lol

So here are the pics anyway. Just don't laugh like my husband and daughter did...lol Was gonna do M&P tonight but gonna give it a miss now, try tomorrow.

post-4041-139458404736_thumb.jpg

post-4041-139458404739_thumb.jpg

post-4041-139458404742_thumb.jpg

post-4041-139458404744_thumb.jpg

I'm not laughing - they are lovely bars! This is a really complicated process and we're learning as we go! My whole first batch is out on the curb waiting for the garbage truck.

Save the scraps - I'm sure there is a grand use for them though don't know what it is! Maybe once they age you can put them into little bags and use that as a washcloth (flannel?) of sorts?

I can't remember for sure, but did you use food coloring for the red? Curious how it will cure out!

Thanks carolgrant, I'm a little dissapointed that they got stuck in the container, But like I just said to Shaun, i didn't really expect the soap itself to even turn out, so beggers can't be choosers and at least now i know that i actually made soap. He's quite excited he's never seen me in the kitchen so much :laugh2:. All i have to do now is change my method next time and hopefully the result will be an improvement so from there things can only get better. As for the scraps making washcloths is a brilliant idea. I put the scraps into a container but thinking i should of left them out to cure aswell. My 10 yr old daughter is forever having a bath and leaving the soap in the water...yuck makes my skin crawl picking out gooey soap. So she'd be perfect for these scraps...lol I don't mean that nasty. The MIL is already on my back to make another batch.

Beatutimus!!! Really and great 1st swirls...take your scraps and make some soap balls that way you can take them into the shower, put at your sink, gie to your mother in law etc. but get going on the balls before it gets to hard

Your soap looks very good for a first try!

For soap balls, I just take all the extra pieces while they are still soft and squish together to form a big lump.

If you wait until they are dried and no longer soft, you can still take all the pieces to make a new soap, but will need to melt them down with a bit of water.

Either way you choose, there need not be any wastage.

Good job with it being your first.....scraps are scraps and can be used everywhere especially for the little ones. Its hard for them sometimes to use the big bars because their hands are so small. So these scraps should be perfect for them. For the bigger scraps or jagged edges try like the others said to roll or mush it in your hands to make balls. Wear gloves just in case the lye is still reacting because it wont hurt a whole lot while your rolling but it will itch and be red later, especially if you have sensitive skin.

you can always get a grater and shave it up, make a new batch of soap and put the shavings in it for added color.

Go to the store and get some freezer paper to line your molds. The wax side is the side that stays up....the paper side to the inside of the mold. Mylar if you have a hobby store nearby works for liner also.

HTH Congrats on your first batch.

Pam

A huge big thank you to everyone for your encoragement.

I'm not sure what freezer paper is called over here, but I can't find it at the supermarket all i can find is wax paper :angry2: . Don't have a hobby store here so will check next time i go to the city.

I do have heaps of scraps but have made soap balls that the kids can't wait to try out. My second CP turned out remarkably better but when i cut them they cracked and broke a little bit. But still turned out fine.

Thanks again for the encoraging kind words.

I think yours turned out very nice for the first try. You should see the yellow-greenish blobs that I got on my rookie attempt. Ewwww!!! Yuck! I wouldn't even wash my dog w/them!

Love the pics. They reminded me of those Strawberry-Cream Lifesavers candy. Pretty! Live and learn, line your molds next time. Thx for sharing! :cool2:

Not dreaming of soap just yet but have found that I cannot walk into a shop without thinking to myself "hmmm that could be used for......". for some reason it consumes my shopping abilities no end. I've made another CP since this one. I made "tahitian petals" but i don't have a wooden mould yet and the whole ice cube container was the cause of me having to hack my soap to pieces so i used a milkyway mould. And they turned out perfect. Also with my first i used dewberry FO but have since realised it's not for soap. Hence the funny smell. The tahitian petal soaps have filled my kitchen with a magnificent aroma, that i love to bits. The soaps themselves are a plain light blue but they all turned out. I've gone mad on the M&P aswell. Just learning that one, i've figured out how to blend colours nicely and tonight learnt how to layer. So i'm having fun with it all, But boy oh boy is it addictive. I'm already sick of the basic stuff im doing and looking for bigger and better challenges...lol

Thanks scented, I tried to roll them into balls is there an easier way to make sure they are actually balls and don't look like my son's playdough at kindergarten.???...lol I tried the ball thing they looked out of shape. I have them in a tupperware container at the moment and they're keeping the same texture so i should still be able to make soap balls.