First attempt @ CP my fingers are crossed

angel2211

Thank you firstly to everyone who I have bugged for the last few hours especially but more so the last few days. It has really meant alot to me that you have all helped me even with my most annoying questions...

Well here is the pics of my soap that's just been poured. This was using AJ's simple beginners recipe. Although i'm changing it's name to "biggest half a$$ed attempt soap". My scales arrived today i bought all my oils waited till after supper so the kids would be more settled. Realised i'd forgotten a thermometre. Posted for help. Got to where i had to add colour. Realised i didn't have any other then food colouring. Posted for help again. Finally sorted that out and then couldn't think of what I could use for a mould (mine should be here from my supplier tomorrow) anyway like i said half a$$ soap but here it is.. Not sure if it will unmould from this or not it's actually from my old fridge for ice cubes and the little one is the good ole tupperware :D didn't have enough olive oil only had 15.2oz so made it up with coconut oil so hopefully that's ok. Also my coconut oil has soy lechithin in it so i have my fingers crossed it all worked out.

I finished it was taking photos and my 4 year old son has claimed it as his soap because he told me he was helping.

Should I have this covered in towels and blankets????

post-4041-139458404689_thumb.jpg

post-4041-139458404694_thumb.jpg

post-4041-139458404697_thumb.jpg

very pretty.

just a reminder, the raw soap is still very caustic so don't let your kids get it on their skin!

YES, COVER WITH TOWELS to insulate. The heat from the reaction will help with the saponification. I would first top it with something stiff like cardboard so that the towels or a lid don't mush the pretty soap.

Thanks carolgrant, I've just tucked it up nice and tight, not sure how many towels i should of put around it but trust me it has plenty now....lol

It's already starting to change in appearance, it looked more firmer but also fluffy in a way. if that makes sense. Is that normal. I did fiddle a bit with the recipe and added a tiny touch more coconut and less olive.

Thanks Anita, I'm not worried about cutting it yet, i'm too busy trying desperately to stop myself from peeking. Was gonna make another batch but my SB is pretty noisy and all the kids are in bed.. as they should be it's 1.55am here.. Don't really want to go waking them just for soap....lol

Seriously though can't wait to cut it. Don't know how i'm gonna cut it but still can't wait... Will post when i do.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, The log mould I used is just a container i use for my ice cubes in the freezer. Nothing fancy it was all I could find, My real moulds turned up this morning. I wasn't sure if i did the swirls properly or not. I wanted a solid colour on what will be the top of the soap when it is cut with swirls coming down the soap. So i poured the coloured CP along the side of the container. Ran the stick down the side of the container to hopefully get all the colour to the bottom of it so the top of the soap will be that colour (notice i said hopefully) then i used the stick and just went up and down in a curly motion. It's all cooled down now and the colour has turned to more of a pink then it was last night. And the fragrance has settled more today too, I couldn't smell it last night but today i can smell the fragrance better. I didn't spray the container before i put it in so i'm debating how the heck i'm going to be getting it out, and also when i should be taking it out.

Was really worried about even trying to do CP now i've done it I wonder why i just lurked around the forums etc. instead of getting in there and doing it. I'm dying to make another batch but want to see if this turns out first.

Thanks everyone

If you DO stick it in the freezer to get it out of the mold, I would immediately wrap it in something absorbant when you get it out so that any condensation will be absorbed.

I have my fingers crossed for you on that, but remember, you can always trim away any areas you had to gouge!

Wasn't so bad, was it?

If you DO stick it in the freezer to get it out of the mold, I would immediately wrap it in something absorbant when you get it out so that any condensation will be absorbed.

I have my fingers crossed for you on that, but remember, you can always trim away any areas you had to gouge!

Wasn't so bad, was it?

Thanks carolgrant. NO it definately wasn't so bad at all, I can feel a new addiction coming on....hhhmmmm

Just got to think of something absorbant now, i'm assuming paper towel will stick to it, so gonna suss out what i've got lying around. I'm guessing there will probably be areas that i will gouge when i take it out so i'll trim them up nice and then i'll have scraps for confetti soap.

Wasn't too happy hubby had decided we are off to melbourne which is 3 hours from here so wont be doing much soaping tonight, but then realised Melbourne has EVERYTHING so i'll be able to go to some shops and get bowls, spoons etc.. I'll try to find a good thermometre while im there too :D

I might try to get it out tonight when i get home (more like 2 in the morning) I've been reading people trim theirs up with a vegetable peeler so i'll get a good one of those in melbourne too, leave the cruddy plastic one for the kitchen...hehe

How do I wrap the soap when it is out and when should i wrap it. I've heard a lot about saran wrap but don't know what we call that in australia.

I can see you digging out a chunk and then forcing a spatula or pancake flipper thingie along the sides and then under it to get it out. In my mind's eye (which should be sleeping)

You don't want to saran it - that's plastic cling wrap, by the way, cause you want the water to escape.

When mine was all sweaty I just wrapped it up in a towel for a half an hour till it came back to room temperature. Just an idea though. I think paper towels would be ok too. You are just doing it to keep sweat off. If the humidity there is low you probaly don't need to do it at all. Here in New Jersey I feel like I'm in the middle of a swamp. Oh, I kinda am, aren't I!?!

I love using the vegetable peeler for beveling the edges - it's fun and looks really neat.

But after you get it all out and settled down you want to leave it out to the air to cure so that more water evaporates and this take weeks and weeks! Don't wrap it for what, 6 weeks?

Have fun shopping. Keep the good stuff for the soap - food isn't as picky!

Thanks everyone so much for making me feel like i've achieved something. Which i certainly do feel that. Carolgrant your mind's eye is very spot on...lol I tried gouging, levering, stabbing, throwing, thumping, dropping you name it i tried it and it wouldn't budge. Hubby got some muscle into it and finally got it out but it broke in half in the process. So I did get small soaps out of it.. Now I know to line the mould with something or spray it. Think Lining it would be better, but not sure what to use, I think our butchers just use plain white paper not freezer paper.

Thank you so much to everyone who has offered well wishes and advice while i was still being too chicken to try..

Butcher paper should be just fine and is a great thing to use to line your molds. I use it when using my wood log molds. I am always able to just pull the finished soap right out of the mold and then peel the paper off. If you don't tear the paper you lined your mold with, you can get a few uses from it. I learned that trick from the soapdish. If you get a wood log mold, on the old forum, Eugenia posted a great mold lining tutorial.