Salt Bars...a first for me!

Brenda

What do you do when your 4th of July guests leave and you have a little time before the evening's scheduled campfire? Make your first salt bars, of course. :o It does seem just a little obsessive, doesn't it?

Here's the batch in the mold swirled with a little Black Cherry mica. I used about 10% monoi in with all that regular coconut, so am hoping for a little scent in these bars. I hope they turn out!

salt_monoi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Do you make your lye ahead of time so that you can make these wonderful batches at a whim?

Nope! I always make my lye as I need it. But I will admit that I put the lye pitcher in an ice water bath this time to get it cool fast enough. :wink2: Thanks, Julia!

Didn't get to stay out at the campfire very long tonight. :undecided Husband has to get up very early for work tomorrow morning. So now I can keep a close eye on the soap.

Well...I've cut the bars, but they are not all trimmed up because I have made the world's shortest salt bars! :laugh2: I adjusted the size of my recipe and reduced it too much and now the bars are way too thin - rather like brownies baked in a too-large pan. Plus, they are sweating like the dickens today, so I'm not handling them anymore right now. Is this normal? I saw that carolgrant mentioned hers "sweating" too.

cut_monoi_salt.jpg

Grumpy - I didn't add any scent to the batch, just the monoi. You can smell it in the finished soap at a low level. Might increase the percentage of that in the next try. And try swirling in the pot plus saving some soap out to dress the top with a swirl so there is color throughout in each bar. Plus I'll gel the next batch - I didn't gel these.

I LOVE the micas for coloring. So easy to incorporate.

Thanks for looking!

I LOVE them!

I know what you mean about too thin, mine were just a little too thin too. How do you calculate the proper batch weight? (I can do volume, but don't know the density of soap, salt or otherwise). Anyone got a rule of thumb?

What level did yo udo the monoi? I want to use it but I'm too cheap to use any ore than necessary!

Thanks, Carol - I halved my normal recipe so next time I will reduce it only by one-third and it might work out okay. Just guess work, so if anyone has a specific formula...I'm all EARS!

I used roughly 10% monoi...I say roughly because I spilled some :rolleyes2 and had to make up the ounce or two difference with the plain coconut. The scent does come through enough for me, but perhaps not for those who prefer a stronger scent.

Those bars look wonderful even if you think they are too thin.

I believe the formula is L x W x H x .4 to calculate how much oils will fill your mold to a certain level. Let's say you have a mold that is 12 inches wide, 10.5 inches long, and 5" deep. If you want your soap to be 1" thick, instead of multiplying 10.5 x 12 x 5 x .4 do 10.5 x 12 x 1 x .4 instead. It will give you the fluid ounces you need to make 1" thick soap in the mold. Just vary the depth number by what you want.

they look nice but why didn't you gel them ? that could be why they are sweating .

That's a very good question and I've been trying to figure out what I was thinking yesterday. :rolleyes2 I'm going to try it again and this time force it to gel thoroughly! ...and up the oils too.

That's a very good question and I've been trying to figure out what I was thinking yesterday. :rolleyes2 I'm going to try it again and this time force it to gel thoroughly! ...and up the oils too.

I always force gel but I don't use abunch of different oils either .Ive used vco and regular co and I think one time I used babuso oil ?