Hobby Lobby Wax

:laugh2:

Wild hair (thought)

Has anyone use their straight parrifin wax for tarts? Just thinking with the cost of shipping it may be cheaper to spend what $10 on each slab...and add some container wax to it.

Anyone doing this?

Don't cut my throat...I said Wild Hair....lol

Every now and then I have used their wax and mixed it with my 70/30 for tarts and a few votives (when in a pinch) and I've actually had pretty good results. I get good hot and cold throw. Not something I'd want to use all of the time, but it does work, at least for me.

It wouldn't hurt (too much) to get a slab and play around and see if it works for you. It definately is cheaper than shipping another wax. I don't sell yet, just make for myself, friends, gifts and lots and lots of testing for future selling, but it is worth it for me, especially if I run out of my other paraffin.

I have used it when I could not get any Yaley slab paraffin from Michaels, but it is much lower MP than Yaleys, ~135 compared to 147 for Yaley. I think the HL wax makes a better container wax, and the Yaley works better for chunks, overpour and 'canes.

geek

The HL wax is a good deal when they have the 50% off sale; I have several slabs in my garage that I bought last time. Mixed about 70-30 with 4627, it makes very good votives and tarts, imo; a little softer than some other waxes, but good scent throw. Also, imo, if you reverse the percentages, and mix 40-60 with 4627, you've also got a container wax with very good scent throw (burning a MC High Cotton one right now made with that combo). This will also give you a good, flat top if poured fairly cool; any more HL than that, though, and you have to do a repour, or heat gun it. Try it out; I was pleasantly surprised how well it works; the 4627 has enough additives, imo, to cover the HL and no additional vybar is needed.

I use it all the time. Makes great votives and tarts....actually am experimenting with pillars..what the hell? Its just a straight paraffin and as such it needs additives for it to do much. I add beeswax to mine.

I have used it when I could not get any Yaley slab paraffin from Michaels, but it is much lower MP than Yaleys, ~135 compared to 147 for Yaley. I think the HL wax makes a better container wax, and the Yaley works better for chunks, overpour and 'canes.

geek

We don't have a Hobby Lobby around here but the Yaleys was the first wax I ever used ( I still have some of my very first pathetic pillars and votives, It was before I had any idea what the additives were for:( ) they use to have their candle supplies on sale all the time and the wax for $10.99 a slab ( 10-11 lbs I think) but now I can't even remember the last time any of it was marked down on sale. The last time I was in Michaels, as usual I went to the candle aisle and it was $25.99 a slab!!!!!!!!!! Can you say ouch?

I'm very excited we're getting a HL in our are of S. Louisiana! Have to go 1.5 hours for the nearest one! Have tried their wax before for pillars and was pleased. Did mix it w/other wax though to get the right effect. Will be glad to see some competition for Michaels! I think Michaels is 'out the box' w/their price for Yaley's slab. I order it straight from Yaley's and get the pellets! No more breaking the slab for melting! If you order 200 lbs you get a shipping break from UPS. It actually ends up being the same price if I buy it at Michael's w/a 40% coupon! No more running around begging friends and family for their coupons!!

Sorry I know the post was about HL, but I guess I just had to vent a little about Michaels prices!

Periodically, HL has all candle and soapmaking supplies 50% off. When that is on, you can get a slab for $5 or $6, depending upon location. I think they were going up from $9.99 to $11.99 a slab, but when I got my last batch about 4 or 5 months ago, the store I was at still had some of the $9.99 slabs. Of course, with oil prices, they may have gone up even more since then.:rolleyes2 Go to their website and sign up for their sales bulletins; you'll get an email every Sunday giving their specials for the week. That's handy for me because the nearest HL is almost 40 miles away, so I don't get a circular in my newspaper.

I am so glad that this post was started. I do have a HL 30 miles away from me and they carry limited candle supplies but I did see that they had wax slabs a few months ago. To be honest with you, I never even stopped to check prices! I will have to get a few slabs and test it out myself for when Im in a pinch!! Thanks all!

God Bless,

Lynn

They are $11.99 here and I get their sale paper online and almost every other week they have a coupon for 40% any one item. I have had very good results with it and the throw I have found to be very good.

So HL does the '40% off any one item' thing like Michael's does? I'll have to start watching for that; never noticed it for some reason. I love HL!!:cheesy2:

One per day per visit. So, I will go to the one closest to my house then stop at the one on the way to work and get something else. Shucks 40%, I'll be there buying stuff I don't need. lol

This is exactly what I do! We have two here, one on each side of town. I'll print several coupons, then go to both one day and then again in a few days.

The coupon makes it an excellent option. They do this ALOT! So does A.C. Moore if you have one of those around.

I've noticed that Michael's, Hobby Lobby and A.C. Moore alternate their 40% off deal, so each week it seems as at least one of them is running it.

-Jessica

Well it is really neat that this thread has started!!!!

Just today I went and bought a slab with my 40% off coupon!!

Never ever made a candle before inmy life....but tonight I poured 2!!! Wheeeeee

I figured that since I am just starting out that I would give it a shot.

I know that 1 of them is not scented right...but the other one smells wonderful (well for now)

But time will tell (holding breath)