Sodium Lactate

Scented

I am using 3% x ounces in my recipe, not sure if that is too much or too little. But it gives me a very firm bar of soap I can unmold the next day, and they do seem to get harder quicker. I have also seen people using it at .5 oz pp of oils, it is close to the 3% I am using.

I don't soap without it either, but if you are just starting out using it, my suggestion would be to use the MMS calculator and there is a little box there that you can tick...it asks if you want to use the SL and then will give you recommendations on amount. I too always go with the 3%. Just remember that you will end up cutting your bars much sooner. Well, at least that's how it's worked for me! Good luck!

OK now when is it added? Like with all the soft oils or after soft and hard are combined or after lye water has been added?

On the MMS site it says "Add sodium lactate to the lye solution before adding to the oil mixture"

Seems like I read somewhere that it can make your soap crumbly if you add too much. Is this true? I have some I want to try but my soap has been acting so weird that I'm almost afraid to. I'm not giving up but I have definitely determined at this point that soap is not my thing. Too bad because it's so much fun to make. I've been plugging away for quite a while now and seem to have very few batches that actually come out okay. Can you say ugly? I've read every thing over and over and still studying it and still so much that I don't understand. ( so much for a college degree ) should have studied chemistry instead of electrical engineering

I just started using it and haven't noticed a difference yet. I'm trying to get a harder bar faster with HP while using 2 oz of milk and 2 oz of yogurt as part of my fluid. I previously used 1 oz for 2 lb so going to up it next time, hoping it doesnt get crumbly. To avoid getting the white specks in my soap I added it at the end of the cook the last batch, but have done it with the lye water before as well, noticing no difference yet.