Mad Scientist (tm) wax blending experiments

Everyone of us loves to test wax, especially when we get free samples! We wouldn't be chandlers if there weren't a little Mad Scientist in all of us. Some of us even try blending different brands of soy, or different melt point soys, or try different additives to achieve a desired behavior. We all are searching for the Holy Grail of wax, one that does everything we want.

Now, I don't want specific blend information, and I have one of my own pinned down, but I'd like to hear about other's wax blending experiments. Just provide the type of waxes and/or additives you have tried, no percentages or any proprietary info that give away your secrets!

Also, since we are all a little bit off, feel free to include any experiments that went horribly wrong! You know, mutations, small explosions, etc. :shocked2:

geek

I did some research online and found petrolatum to soften wax. I ordered it so I could make my own container wax - my wanted to mix that with straight parrafin which I can get cases locally, and additives. I was a little discouraged when the petrolatum arrived and I realized I had bought a big tub of vasoline - DUH - I don't know why I didn't make the connection when doing my research. Anyway - it worked better than straight parrafin as far as not having as much shrinkage or so many repours. But chemistry/formulas has never been my strong point so I was happy to find a nice container wax somewhat local to me.

So now I have about 1/2 container of petrolatum sitting for about 5 years now. Maybe someday I'll feel like another experiment. ;)

Oh a natural wax one that worked o.k. for me was a blend of the veg/palm wax with beeswax. No feathering but a very nice creamy pillar. I don't remember why I tried that one but I remember the outcome being fine. :rolleyes2

I cloned the formula for Comfort Blend and then made my own version that's whiter, easier to wick and burns better. This formula is finalized and being put through it's paces.

Now I'm working on a proprietary parasoy. This project is at a much more experimental stage. Sitting in front of me I have sample containers of a 30% soy blend and a 50% soy blend, both of which look good and stick to the glass but haven't been tested yet. 70% soy is a little harder to formulate properly, but I have a sample container setting up for another try and we'll see how it comes out.

All of these are blended from scratch using raw materials rather than existing blends. Besides proportions, using the right raw materials is a key consideration. Some things you need to make good container blends can be hard to find. As far as soy components are concerned, it's handy that GB has made a variety of blending waxes available.

Can't say much more than that or I'll have to hunt you all down and kill you.

Gee Geek I don't think I can remember all of them to list. When I first started out I bought 10 lb samples of almost all the paraffin waxes and if it didn't work the way I wanted it to then I would try mixing it with one of the others I had on hand. It was fun but a bit too costly. Now I'm trying to NOT do that with soy but I recently did mix some comfort blend with different ratios of soy to see what I could come up with. You know, always in search of the perfect candle.

I recently tried a universal soy additive from KY Candle at 3% in Ecosoya CB-Pure. Definitely an emulsifier and raises the congealing/melting point of the candle wax. The wax starts to set up about 125* and takes on a very white appearance making it difficult to get solid looking colors. My best results were pouring the wax at 160*. Tops were rough but flat and the wax is very milky looking with some internal mottling. The wax has a strange granular texture when you dig into it. Seemed to burn OK.

The first thing that came to my mind are some of the experiments I have been doing with my pillars lately. I have found my wax to be too soft now that the weather is getting warmer. To harden it I have been mixing beeswax at various percentages. I have been experiementing with Panalite in them too. (I think this is ADMs version of a USA.)

The strangest experiments I've done were when I was trying to do natural colors. I tried some beet root powder and other herbal things. All it did was clog my wicks, I didn't even get any pretty colors.

I've done a lot of blending different brands of waxes, and even tried adding some oils like hemp & cottonseed.

I haven't found the Holy Grail yet, but I'm quite entertained looking for it.

Right nowI am mixing Greenleaf with comfort blend for the testing I have been doing the last few months.....Prior it was J223 and 4627....Alex, I know, I know :cheesy2:

Just because I like the 4627 and greenleaf both. Since some candlemakers use one or the other....it gives me a unique blend for my own company.

I wish I did not work 2 jobs (even though I enjoy both)...so I could sit home and play with my own blend from scratch....but time is not on my side for that....who knows we are looking into getting some rental properties so that may take place of my 2nd job one day.

• 2 years later...
I cloned the formula for Comfort Blend and then made my own version that's whiter, easier to wick and burns better. This formula is finalized and being put through it's paces.

Now I'm working on a proprietary parasoy. This project is at a much more experimental stage. Sitting in front of me I have sample containers of a 30% soy blend and a 50% soy blend, both of which look good and stick to the glass but haven't been tested yet. 70% soy is a little harder to formulate properly, but I have a sample container setting up for another try and we'll see how it comes out.

All of these are blended from scratch using raw materials rather than existing blends. Besides proportions, using the right raw materials is a key consideration. Some things you need to make good container blends can be hard to find. As far as soy components are concerned, it's handy that GB has made a variety of blending waxes available.

Can't say much more than that or I'll have to hunt you all down and kill you.

Hey Top..............Did this wax you created ever hit the market?

• 2 years later...

I found that a mix of Genwax 128 and Harmony is an awesome thrower for containers as well as tarts. It takes a very high FO load.

I also found that Genwax 128 and 4786 is kinda OK for containers but awful for clamshells and tarts because the 4786 glues itself to the plastic.