Crisco in IGI-2281???

It was recommended that I add 1/4 teaspoon of Crisco and 1/4 teaspoon of Vybar to the above wax. What is the purpose of the Crisco? I know the purpose of the Vybar and know that it will decrease or do away with, the mottling (which doesn't bother me) but, I'm curious as to the purpose of the Crisco.

Crisco will make it a parasoy of sorts. It's kind of an old-fashioned formula for homebrew container wax dating from times when not as many raw materials were available to hobbyists. The idea is to make something softer and lower-melting with less shrinkage. The formulas I've seen involve a lot more Crisco than that though.

You can make a simple petroleum-based container blend with Vybar and petrolatum, but don't underestimate the amount of fiddling it takes to optimize a container formula. It can be easier to just buy a preblend. They all have the 2281 type of wax in them anyway, but the formulating and testing has been done for you.

The recommendations I've seen for Crisco are for much higher amounts-as much as 2 level tablespoons/lb.

Top was right, the rationale was to have it be a parasoy blend, and reduce shrinkage. I started with it, because my FO suppliers suggested it. I tried adding soy flakes for a while instead, but got away from that because I didn't care for the inconsistant results I got, so I'm back to the Crisco. I don't really know if it does anything, but my customers love our candles, so why argue with success?

Fredron

Waxes 'n Wicks

Lighting the world one candle at a time.

If the purpose is to lower the melting point, with this particular wax, then, isn't it redundant? This is a 123 mp wax, which is pretty low already.
Yes, with that wax the MP isn't the main concern. I gather people were originally using Crisco formulas with more like 130-135 MP waxes - sometimes supermarket paraffin. However you still have the issues of shrinkage and container adhesion. This wax won't stick well with just Vybar in it. Petrolatum can help with that. Putting in enough Crisco might have a similar effect but I don't have experience with it.

I was searching and some people (Nature's Garden), actually claim that the Crisco helps with scent throw?

"However, if you add 1-2 oz. of crisco shortening per pound of single pour paraffin wax, you will notice an increase in your scent-throw" and this can be found:

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/mas_assets/ngc/www/import/manual.htm

I have been mixing my own wax for over a year now. I use a lmp straight paraffin, crisco and vybar. I have been very happy with my blend. I did a lot of research before I started mixing. I have not been happy with any of the preblends out there and I did not like the inconsistencies from batch to batch. I think by mixing my own, I have learned more about the physical attributes of the paraffin.Crisco does help the adhesion to the jar and the throw. If your wax is already a container was, you need to be careful with the amount of Crisco to avoid excessive smoking.

This is not for everyone. It has taken me a long time to get to where I am happy with my wax. I have had lots of failures. But it has definitely been a learning experience. I just bought a slap of 4786 (? to lazy to go look it up) to try - I have heard rave reviews about this wax.

Dat

So then is this technically, a para-vegi blend, since Crisco is hydrogenated vegetable oil?
Yes it's parasoy. Crisco has the same ingredients as a common type of soy blend container wax. Partially hydrogenated soy oil, cottonseed oil, emulsifiers.

You were asking about food grade soy wax recently. The thing to understand is that there's no FDA standard for "food grade" in connection with soy wax. That's just for paraffin. To one extent or another, soy wax is a marketing ploy by agribusiness and the food industry to sell unhealthy food ingredients as politically correct candle wax.

But it can be a useful ingredient. Personally I just use the straight GB shortenings for blending. Crisco doesn't give you as much control and contains ingredients I don't think you really need.

However, Crisco was a handy ingredient before "soy" ever became politically correct. Formulas to make useful container blends out of it live on.

I was searching and some people (Nature's Garden), actually claim that the Crisco helps with scent throw?

This is true in my case. I use 4794 (I only make tarts) and get a much better scent throw by adding 2 oz to each pound of wax, then I would if I just used the wax by itself.

I use J223 and do use crisco as a carrier for more fo but I had to play with the amount to get the right combination of ingredients to achieve good scent throw and not too much black stuff and puffs of black smoke from adding too much. My customers love my product as well so I think I have the right formula for us!! Good luck!!