Help with ornies

Well, I read the directions and followed them as instructed BUT my ornies did not come out bumpy, rather they are smooth. I tried baking them at a lower temp and also tried baking them for a shorter time. The shorter time produced some pretty ugly looking ornies - smooth and bumpy but the bumpy was not melted enough. Is there a trick to making them? Like everything else in candlemaking it sounds easy but isn't.

ANY help will be appreciated.

funny you should post this....I just took my first batch out of the oven and was coming here to ask about the edges. They look pretty good except for the seriously rough edges. Is there a trick to that part? Mine are fairly smooth also, but I like them.

LOL,,,I gave them a haircut with the scissors. How long do you bake them? I think it may just be that I cooked 'em too much. I left them in for 9 minutes.

Ingrid, how long did you bake yours?

I have more beads soaking to try again.

I did one batch for 7 minutes and the second batch for 5 minutes. The batch baked for 5 minutes was the one that came out pretty ugly. I even tried to lower the baking temp to 325 for a special try but that didn't look to good either. Oh Well I guess I will just keep on trying or settle for smooth ornies. I also use a sizzors to trim the top.

They are supposed to be bumpy and I leave mine bumpy. If you want them smooth, just bake normally (350 oven for about 3-5 minutes) and then hit the top with a heat gun. That will smooth them all out. Or you can wait until it's cooled, flip it over, put it back into the cookie cutter upside down and then back into the oven. But a heatgun is much faster and easier. :)

If you want them bumpy, put in the oven for 3 minutes if doing one ornie. If you don't put in an even layer of beads, some parts may be smooth and some bumpy or not even fused together yet. So wiggle the cookie cutter a bit to even out the beads before baking. Also, some cutters will have the ornie come out a little uneven. My dragonfly cutter has little wings and the little wing parts get smooth before the middle, so it's all about testing and timing. Just keep trying. You'll get it!

Also, you only need about 3-4 minutes in the oven if doing a few ornies (a little longer if doing a full cookie sheet). After they come out, they will continue to "cook" a bit, so like cookies, take them out a bit underdone and they'll be perfect once cool :)

You are under a rock! They are aroma beads, melted together in a cookie cutter, to hang as air fresheners. I just needed something new to play with..

There are a lot of posts lately with links to instructions. I got hte instrustions and the beads from BCN

There are also a few different types of beads. I started getting mine from BCN and found a local supplier who carried them and I wouldn't have to pay shipping, so I got some from them. They were not the same. BCN's are more round or even cylinder type and the other ones were like oval balls. The ones from BCN make the kind of ornies that are bumpy like they should be IMO and the others melted flat no matter what temp and amount of time they were in the oven. I know JC's isn't in business anymore, (that is where I got the other ones from), but they were told by their supplier there is only one manufacturer. Clearly that is not true. This may be what some of the problem is. Just thought you should know.