Soaper/Chandler Insurance Opportunity

I'm copying/pasting this with the permission of the initial poster on other boards. This is open to both soapers and chandlers. I am in no way involved with this.

A deal is being put together for soapers and B&B folks to get general AND product liability insurance for $400 per year per person. It'll cover soap, lotions, perfume, candles, and possibly other products too. An agent named Dave Fox at Calnorth insurance (davidfox@calnorth.com) is putting a group deal together for the Handmade Soapers Guild to offer through the Guild. You don't have to join the Guild to get the insurance, but it may cost slightly more if you are a non-member (membership is $80/year).

I've called numerous agents and been told I can't get product liability at all, or that it'll cost several thousand a year. $400 is an outstanding price.

What Dave needs to get this going is for enough people to tell the Guild that you'd want to do this and want them to offer it. The goal is to have it in place in 30 days. Edited to add: Here's one clarification just in from Dave: It will take Dave's company 30 days to put this together once the Guild gives the go ahead. So we're just waiting to give the Guild enough emails to reassure them there's enough interest. Then once they tell Dave to start it'll be 30 days.

I'm hoping if we all email the Guild it'll get going soon! Thanks!

Here is the Guild's email:

Info@soapguild.org

and

President@soapguild.org

and here is their website:

http://www.soapguild.org/

Please let the Guild know you'd like the insurance plan! Send them email! They need to hear from members and non-members, just anyone who is interested in the insurance plan so they know how many people are interested.

It is so hard to find this insurance, this is much less expensive this way.

Please send the Guild email if you'd like to see this happen! Thanks everyone!

--Laurie

Even though I have already purchased insurance I sure would be interested in purchasing through an organization in the business. I did email them to express interest and will be most interested to examine the offered policy should this movement yield results!

:yay:

Julia, That is a great opportunity for some of the folks here.

I really think that the coverages needs to be posted before anyone commits to purchasing the policy.

I would love to see the proposal.

I agree.

Here are some more posts on this subject

Here's one clarification just in from Dave:

It will take Dave's company 30 days to put this together once the Guild gives the go ahead. So we're just waiting to give the Guild enough emails to reassure them there's enough interest. Then once they tell Dave to start it'll be 30 days.

I'm hoping if we all email the Guild it'll get going soon! Thanks!

I've asked Dave for some info I can post about his company and the insurance carrier. I'll post as soon as I get it. Meantime, do let the Guild know your interest via email. You can tell them you want them to pick a good carrier.

Dave says they are not rated themselves because they are a brokerage, not an insurance carrier. They will most likely place the policy with an insurance company called Colony, which has an am best rating of A. Dave's company only works with A or A+ companies.

Thanks for posting about the possible availability of this--I've sent messages to both e-mail addresses listed and also filled out the survey. (Can you tell I'm desperate??).

I'm in Alabama and the least expensive policy I've found is around $1,000/year--and since this is not my full-time job and I only do as much as time allows, my sales certainly can't justify paying that much.

Jane

Bumping this up. :bump:

The Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild has sent out an e-mail in reference to the insurance that was mentioned by Julia. They are asking that anyone that is interested in this insurance please fill out the online survey. Everyone has been complaining about not being able to get insurance or affordable insurance and this is our chance to speak up and say that we want it, so they can see the interest.

Here is the link to the survey....anyone that is even remotely interested in this insurance fill out the short survey and you can get on the list to be e-mailed updates on this as they happen. This survey is only going to be up thru Thursday the 15th.

http://www.soapguild.org/public/insurance-poll.php

Where did you read the projected monthly costs? I browsed through but did not find that section. Thanks

Read the first post of this thread Mindy. I think it is just a guestimate on their part right now, but it averages out to abour $33.00/mo, if we can get it for $400.00/yr.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I just finally stumbled onto this site 2 days ago I am just now sending emails and doing the survey. What an awesome price......this would be great if all works out. Can't wait to get more info on all this and check out the coverage! :cheesy2:

Kymber

Here is the info i got back from the soap guild in an email this morning.......

We are looking at insurance plans, but to say a deal is being put together is not true. Any details on insurance will be posted at our web site, www.soapguild.org. Thanks,

Jim Ranieri

Administrative Services

Handcrafted Soap Makers Guild

3416 Primm Lane

Birmingham, AL 35216

management@soapguild.org

www.soapguild.org