I just purchased an ERGO candle. I would say that they are medium to high priced. They are hot here in Dallas....and are doing quite well across the country. I have to give them credit, their candles

T H R O W! (Hot and Cold)

I know ZERO about Soy candles....so can someone please tell me if a Soy candle is suppose to do this?

Mystical.....whatcha think? I burned it one time...and just barely touched the surface the following day. It is burning fine but I was just a little surprised.

post-60-139458402348_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still learning about soy and have poured several lately....I myself do not care for the funny textures that it gets...however my wife could care less about it. I'm the anal one about how it should look...she likes the smell. My sister who has severe allergies could care less how it looks either, she is just happy to be able to burn a candle without having a reaction. I guess it's a toss up either way. Maybe I shouldn't mind the texture if other's just like the fact that it's natural.

That's my 2 cents....now I'm "centsless"

Chris

Yes, that candle picture looks normal to me. Soy just does that. It doesn't bother me one iota and I don't think it bugs my soy candle customers either. The only reason people say soy is ugly is because they are comparing it to paraffin. To me, that's like comparing apples and oranges -- they're both fruit, but each can be appreciated for its own merits. Paraffin and soy/veg candles are just kinda different animals, KWIM? ;)

Now don't take offense at my opinion anyone, k? Or I'll have to send in Big Vinny and his goons. :laugh2:

If you add paraffin to you wax, I would make sure to disclose that to customers. Also Michael, if you decide to make soy, just let your customers know what the characteristics of this wax are - once they know, they don't seem to mind. I think it bugs the chandler more than the customer. ;)

I am impressed with their candles! I could be mistaken, but I am almost positive that they use straight 415. I remember seeing a picture of their testing, maybe on their site? I will have to go hunt for it. It has been a while so they may have taken it off. Anyway, they had a table full of candles which were being tested and I remember seeing CD 20 and CD 22 writted on a few of them - single wicked tumblers.

Okay, went to the site and could not find the pics. Drats.

Ergo has one edge over all of us. Oprah promoted it! The only person who can justify if it is straight 415 is Jason at Golden Brands because it is their product. They are strongly scented because their FO's are made in house and have the concentration of straight perfumes. Alot of their scents could be EO's because they are premium candles but there is no such think as McIntosh apple EO's (one of their fragrances). They have no color which to the enviromentalist is more appealing and if they use CD's even better for them. Most the other large company's use zinc. Their edge is their marketing strategy and their packaging.

I am impressed with their candles! I could be mistaken, but I am almost positive that they use straight 415. I remember seeing a picture of their testing, maybe on their site? I will have to go hunt for it. It has been a while so they may have taken it off. Anyway, they had a table full of candles which were being tested and I remember seeing CD 20 and CD 22 writted on a few of them - single wicked tumblers.

Okay, went to the site and could not find the pics. Drats.

I may be wrong, but, it would be nearly impossible to achieve the type of hot throw that Dean is talking about, with a straight soy (415) without additives. The wax itself I believe has a max FO load of 10% and, even using that amount, with the most concentrated fragrance oils you can find, would probably be very difficult.

But, I could be wrong.

I may be wrong, but, it would be nearly impossible to achieve the type of hot throw that Dean is talking about, with a straight soy (415) without additives.

I think it is totally possible. I use 415 and some of my oils which will blow the doors off of you house. I admit, it is a love hate relationship, though. For every 10 oils I try, only one will work that way. It is harder to find great throwing oils for 415, but it can be done.

I would LOVE to know how they get their candles scented so strongly. They truly are "throwers"......much, much different than the usual wax with any amount of FO. Could be the oils they are choosing to work with. They smell very essential oil-ish KWIM. I doubt that they are, but they are very strong.

Well, I've not burned these, but, I was just going by what Dean said. Specifically, he said they throw so well that it's different than any candle out there, regardless of the amount of FO (see above).

I use 415 and some of my oils which will blow the doors off of your house.
I can vouch for that comment!!!! I have and burn VE candles and they are the best I have come across. I searched my town for a great candle and these are the ones I found. I have been buying them for at least a couple years. I have yet to have one that didn't have a strong HOT or COLD throw. Sometimes I wonder if hubby lit a candle b/c the scent is so strong. I could care less how the wax looks, the throw both cold and hot is what is important to me.

I may not be an expert on candle making but I am an expert on candle shopping. :P

I'm sure it's just careful selection of FO. I looked over their scents and it seems to me they're probably picking the ones that are easiest to make strong and avoiding especially subtle formulations. Aren't these all pretty strong notes for instance?

Pear, Citrus

Vanilla, Coffee, Tea

Jasmine, Lavender, Lily & Magnolia

Tropical Fruits

You can't overestimate how selective some candle manufacturers have to be about optimizing FOs for their application. When you have certain requirements about scent throw and compatibility with a wax, maybe only 1 out of 10 FOs or even fewer might be serious contenders, but you only need to find so many.

If you can work closely with a fragrance house the process might be a little better directed.

Let me tell you that soy candles can have an awesome hot and cold throw. I make a blueberry muffin candle that a friend of mine loves. Last year, while tracking bears in anticipation of hunting season, he noticed blueberries in their poop. When hunting season opened, he took a few of my candles out to the woods and just opened them up. Within a 1/2 hour, along came a bear sniffing in the air, looking for those blueberries. Unfortunaltely, that bear lost its life as a result of its fondness for blueberries and being duped by my candle. Also, I have another customer where I work that just loves my Creme Brulee candle. We can't burn candles at work so she just opens that candle up. My office is about 20 feet from her desk where she sits out in the open (she doesn't have an office) and I can smell that darn candle all the way in my office. Too bad for me because I can't stand the smell of CB. Everyone always asks what that wonderful smell is (some don't like it either). People coming in the building can smell it too from the receptionist's desk which is even farther away than my office and around a corner. Another customer of mine reported that when she burns a few of my candles, it fills her whole home and she has to blow them out after awhile because they are too strong. I think Top is right though when he says it has to do with the scents they choose. Certain scents are just stronger by nature.

Edited to add - I don't hunt and have mixed feelings about my candle being used to kill an animal. I perfer to get my meat from my grocers freezer chalked full of sterioids and whatever else they put in it that I don't want to know.

Top said

If you can work closely with a fragrance house the process might be a little better directed.

That is so true. They have the advantage of having the capital to have people work FOR them making oils FOR them. Kind of like having a personal seamstress who will taylor fit your clothes FOR you instead of having to buy clothes (oils) off of the rack and trying to taylor them yourself for your needs.

It has been so long since I have read about them. I think their site changed a lot since I visited it last. Does anyone remember their story? I am sure they were much like us, although I have to say they found the market niche and filled it. Packaging/marketing IS the product, and they hit that one on the head.

Thanks! I just wondered. It isn't very attractive, but I guess the clients who purchase these don't seem to mind...I mean they are doing VERY WELL!

With throw like this, I guess that is the most important thing. This one is Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme and Sage...they call it Cucina. HUGE SERIOUS WICK!

What type of wick is it? In the picture, it doesn't look to be as big as is indicated, but, that can be very deceiving? Any guesses as to the wick type?

Like I said previously, I know they used to test CD wicks. That is of course if their pictures were accurate. They had CD written on the side in a sharpie along with various sizes.

I will say I hope I am remembering the company. It was a soy based one out of the Dallas area that made it really big with the exact same packaging/containers/etc. I am 90% sure it is ergo's site that I remember seeing. Of course sometimes I cannot remember my own name, so don't bet the house on it.