Air Fresheners Question

And there is that shinny beighish spongie stuff they put in potting plant dirt. I can never remember the name. It hardly weighs anything so shipping should be cheaper. It is in those nice envelopes that they sell at Cracker Barrel to use as a sachet or vacuum cleaner freshener. I looked this fall in WalMart and KMart but couldn't find it. Maybe in the spring it will come back out. Might have to find out the name and call some nurserys to see if they have it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about???? TIA
Vermiculite.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What a caring and sharing group you all are, (professional too).

I am so glad to see the discussion on this subject, you have no idea. I have some awesome, super-strong fragrances from Just Scent and Natures Garden that I have been using with aroma beads. I just tried the corn cob granules (not the rock salt, yet) and have also been searching for a superior delivery system for scent retention.

Has it been determined that the vermuculite, rock salt and corn cob mixture is the best of the best??

So glad to be a part of this wonderful group, I await your response and again, God bless everyone!

There was a discussion on a list that I belong to last fall about the rock salt. Here are some tips that were discussed:

1.) The cheapest place that people found is water softener salt from your local home improvement center (Home Depot, Lowes, etc). You need to buy the salt and not the pellets (pellets will not absorb the fo very well).

2.) Some people rinsed the salt and let it dry before adding the fo. This made the salt more translucent if they were going to display it in a dish uncolored.

3.) Add the fo a little at a time. Too much will make the salt wet. If you used to much you can either add more salt to absorb the fo or you can spread it out on a cookie sheet and dab it with a paper towel. Each fo used will react different as far as absorption so you need to play around with it. Obviously, if the fo is not absorbed in the salt within 24 hours you used too much.

4.) Using candle dye could stain and soap dye will fade even though it is not in the sun. The best method to color the salt is mica. I found this out when after a few weeks stored for sale the color was completely gone from the salt.

5.) Store salt in a glass container not plastic. The scented salt will eat through the plastic over time.

6.) People were making different colors of the same scent and mixing them to make things more interesting. They were using a glass dish and either had the salt by itself or mixing it with potpourri fixins.

7.) Definitely have warning labels for this. We know fo can damage surfaces but so can salt.

hth,

Chris

• Like 1

vermiculite wich is heated volcanic rock. I would use half and half. Perllite wich is heated mica is also a good one. It looks like cork lol.

The problem is there very light. You can add some rock salt or sun gems.

I have found there all good at holding the scent.

What i have found is they dont last for ever. 2 Months is good. In my opinion.

Another use for vermiculite is vacuum cleaners also.

• Like 1

Has anyone found the scent in corn cob or vermiculite to change over time?

I have some different scents in different containers that have been sitting for months and when I opened them to use them most of them smell bad. They don't have the same scent anymore.

I also sell refresher oil with my car bags. That way the customer can re-scent the bag when the scent fades.

Hello everyone and God bless you all! I just left Lowe's and bought a bag of vermiculite. It was labeled "horticultural" and it is not chunky like the substance in the paper sachet bags in the stores. It is almost the consistency of thick salt and dark brown in color.

This is not the vermiculite I am looking for...any suggestions as to where anyone has bought the one being discussed in this thread...a beige colored, spongy type substance??

Thanks in advance and again, God bless all!!

What is the name of that stuff they put in those paper envelopes? Says to sprinkle in valcume bags so they smell good. They are kinda like foam pellets. Been looking for it at Walmart and Pet stores but can't find it. Cellulose or Permalite something like that. Anyone know where to buy it online. Tired of looking....

What is the name of that stuff they put in those paper envelopes? Says to sprinkle in valcume bags so they smell good. They are kinda like foam pellets. Been looking for it at Walmart and Pet stores but can't find it. Cellulose or Permalite something like that. Anyone know where to buy it online. Tired of looking....

Vermiculite can be found at your local nursery.

It does come in different gardes of courseness so you may want to look at it before you buy it.

I get a huge 4 cubic foot bag at my nursery for $7.00

post-219-139458403295_thumb.jpg

is the website where you found it?? I am having a time finding it at any of the nurseries in my area, which is southeast Florida. Why, I don't know. They have plenty of the sand like vermiculite, but I can't find the coarse kind, spongy-like.

Let me know asap. Thank you and again, God bless you!!

Vermiculite can be found at your local nursery.

It does come in different gardes of courseness so you may want to look at it before you buy it.

I get a huge 4 cubic foot bag at my nursery for $7.00

on the bag shows a sand-like consistency.

I sell these things like crazy. I even do Fund Raisers with them. I tell them they will last for 4-6 weeks. Just think about it, normal ones you buy at WalMart dont even last that long.

I use a mixture of COrn Cob and Vermiculite.

Has anyone found the scent in corn cob or vermiculite to change over time?

I have some different scents in different containers that have been sitting for months and when I opened them to use them most of them smell bad. They don't have the same scent anymore.

I also sell refresher oil with my car bags. That way the customer can re-scent the bag when the scent fades.

I have had one FO to change in the Corn Cob mix ( Tommy Girl )

Did your Vermiculite change also?