Air Fresheners Question

Hello all,

I am presently doing the corn cob 3x4 sachet bag air fresheners. Does anyone know of something else to use/add that absorbs and stabilizes the fragrance oil? The corn cob fresheners last fairly well but I'm always looking for ways to improve my product. I was hoping some of the potpourri makers might suggest something I could add with the corn cob or maybe even change what I'm using to stuff my bags. I opened another muslin bag freshener and hmmmm, it looks like ground cork. :shocked2: Any suggestions anyone??????????

Thanks

Mamafe

mamafe.gif

LOL Yeah okie dokie lmao @ YOU!!!!!!!!! I purchase my products from a feed store and they have lotssssssssssssss of things that I could test. Thanks anyway for at least posting. Well maybe you can tell me what not to waste money on testing on the pet isle...so I won't go broke testing things that don't work :)

Thanks

Mamafe

mamafe.gif

There are a couple of different potpourri fixatives. Cellulose fiber and orris root are two. At SF Herb the cellulose fiber is about $2 a pound and orris root is about $10 a pound. I have used the orris root and found it to be a good fixative. Have not used the cellulose fiber though, maybe someone else can chime in. I have also used aroma beads as an air freshener. It can be used as a dry potpourri. The beads absorb the FO and color and give scent for quite a while. They cost about $3-4 a pound. :) HTH

Hawaaian,

Thank you sooooooooo much for the recommendation....I use aroma beads also girlie but shoot they are tooooooooooo expensive for the volume of muslin bag fresheners I make. I have several car wash, gas stations. and store accounts. I'm pleased with the corn cob but I'm my worst critic....I recently started putting the corn corb inside a 1mil plastic bag before inserting into the muslin bag.. which helps the scent last longer.....Honestly my customers love these bags because they have numerous uses. I have customers that purchase them and hang them on the air conditioner vents in every room...However, as I said I"m my biggest CRITIC and the problem I have with the corn cob is when I place a freshener in my car it smells really strong for the first 3-5 days.....ok, ok, ok, I know the Xmas tree hanging fresheners smell 1 day lol........at any rate...the scent definitely stays in the muslin bag longer than most fresheners I've purchased, but I'd like for the strong scent to last longer.....of course I smell it and my customers are satisfied but I want the strong scent to last longer.

How much f/o are you using per lb of corn cob?

Thanks a bunch

Mamafe

mamafe.gif

Hawaaian,

Thank you sooooooooo much for the recommendation....I use aroma beads also girlie but shoot they are tooooooooooo expensive for the volume of muslin bag fresheners I make. I have several car wash, gas stations. and store accounts. I'm pleased with the corn cob but I'm my worst critic....I recently started putting the corn corb inside a 1mil plastic bag before inserting into the muslin bag.. which helps the scent last longer.....Honestly my customers love these bags because they have numerous uses. I have customers that purchase them and hang them on the air conditioner vents in every room...However, as I said I"m my biggest CRITIC and the problem I have with the corn cob is when I place a freshener in my car it smells really strong for the first 3-5 days.....ok, ok, ok, I know the Xmas tree hanging fresheners smell 1 day lol........at any rate...the scent definitely stays in the muslin bag longer than most fresheners I've purchased, but I'd like for the strong scent to last longer.....of course I smell it and my customers are satisfied but I want the strong scent to last longer.

How much f/o are you using per lb of corn cob?

Thanks a bunch

Mamafe

mamafe.gif

yes they are expensive vs. corn cobs :) I was just gonna ask how much fo you ues lol maybe you can up it and let it sit a few days longer to absorve. I use about 30% in the corncobs.

I haven't tried these (Cellulose fiber and orris root) but that's an idea :)

good luck oh and Peaks fo are the best

Good lawd I learn something everyday....is that what cellulose fiber is ground corn cob....well I had my supplier order me some ground corn cob last week and added it to the large corn cob...I was thinking the ground corn cob would absorb the oil more...cant really say that I noticed a big difference...however I did like the way the combination filled the muslin bags.. :)

Mamafe

mamafe.gif

This was a good post everyone talking about the different things we use. I use both corncob and the beads. Now i will have to try some of the other things athat were talked about.

Thanks

KAty

me too :) never heard of the other stuff but sounds interesting huh

some1 sent me some potpourri unscented and I don't know where to start with them :shocked2: now I have some ideas

thanks all

yes they are expensive vs. corn cobs :) I was just gonna ask how much fo you ues lol maybe you can up it and let it sit a few days longer to absorve. I use about 30% in the corncobs.

I haven't tried these (Cellulose fiber and orris root) but that's an idea :)

good luck oh and Peaks fo are the best__________________

Don't cry because it's over.. smile because it happenned

Be careful what you say today, it could come back and bite you in the ass tomorrow

Hmmm, Hawaiian Ok, I mix each fragrance in a 6 quart container with 6 ounces of F/0 basically 1 oz per quart of corn cob. I use a 1/4 cup scoop which usually makes 70-75 fresheners per batch. I let it absorb for at least 24 hours before packaging...it depends sometimes longer . Honestly, I've always did the air freshener blanks...and when I was blessed with these accounts I couldn't sell the blanks at the wholesale price I negotiated so to lower cost I decided to do the Muslin bag fresheners. I make 600-1000 muslin bag fresheners per week. The bags are a lot more work than the blanks.

I love doing these blanks :smiley2:

AIRFRESHNERS.jpg

• Like 1

Hawaiian,

They are sooooooooooo easy to do...I order them unscented from http://www.bellandcompanytrader.homestead.com/, and all you do is use a paint brush to apply the fragrance oil on the back and front...let dry and package....I sell them for 2.99 and they last a veryyyyyyy long time... they are the best air freshener blanks I've found. Lots of different colors and shapes to choose from. I hope I haven't broken any posting regulations by posting this link lol. If so I'M SOWRYYYYYYY!!!

MAMAFE

mamafe.gif

• Like 1

For those on the east coast check out http://www.atlanticspice.com/

for the different fixatives and on the west coast http://www.sfherb.com/

Oak moss is another fixative but looks just like dried moss where as the

orris root and calamus root are comparable to looks of the crushed corn cob.

I am sure there are other sites that carry this items but these are the ones

that I work with.

Ok, The pet isle got me thinking.

That could be good or that could be bad.

But....How about the kitty litter that is in pearl form?

Looks like the aroma beads, sucks up like the aroma beads

and you can get it in bigger bags. lol

My kitty seems to like them, but I don't think I am going to ask her if I could borrow some to try.

I'm going to wally world and getting me my own bag...

Now how do I keep my kitty from borrowing mine? :D

oops. Forgot to say, Thanks mama for that link you gave for the blanks. I been looking for some

good 1's....

Hmmmm, that sounds interesting...the corn cob I use is a bedding and is also used for cat litter...I'll ask my supplier about it.

Thanks

Mamafe

mamafe.gif

Ok, The pet isle got me thinking.

That could be good or that could be bad.

My kitty seems to like them, but I don't think I am going to ask her if I could borrow some to try.

I'm going to wally world and getting me my own bag...

Now how do I keep my kitty from borrowing mine? :D

oops. Forgot to say, Thanks mama for that link you gave for the blanks. I been looking for some

good 1's....

hi Moon what's the name of that cat litter?

another interesting thing to try :P

let us know how yours turn out :)

aroma beads works great and you can refresh them when they start to lose their scent :)

I use corn cobs also :)

good luck

Tell me something about Aroma Beads:

What are they?

Where do you get them?

Mary Lou

Good post, i have been wanting to try some of these bags, to use up some of the Fo's i got burnt on at a place, thought they might be ok to play around with on these bags, but haven't beeen able to find some corn cob to test, but i did see the cat littter moonrose was talking about, if its the same they look like blue & white crystals/ beads.