Learning Something New - Thanks to Donita

Thanks for your comments - you're too kind. But its a start for me. I think my flower garden is going to be pretty bare this year. I'll be plucking those blooms as soon as they open up. LOL

Scented: And you thought the yellow pages were to look up phone numbers. I don't have a dehydrator so I just sandwich the flowers in paper towels and parchment paper and stick them in the yellow pages phone book. It was the thickest book I had. I have a neighbor I don't talk to - their dog craps in our yard every day. I was thinking about sneaking over and picking some of their roses. LOL Would you bail me out if I get caught?

I have been keeping notes on all Donita's posts on her tear drop floral pillars and ballon orbs. Finally got up the nerve to try. Just do seaches in the gallery and you'll find all the info you need. Some of the posts could have been under General Candlemaking.

Finally got up the nerve to try a couple of dried flower orbs. Still have a long ways to go but it's a start. I dried the azaleas myself. Now I'm searching the neighborhood for neat flowers to dry. LOL

Nice and I understand about drying the flowers. I am wating anxiously for the roses to bloom and everything else. So far I've only done tulips and daffodils. It's all really a lot of fun and you'll be turning out 20 a day before you know it! I've been eyeing my neighbors roses and other flowers too...lol

Sharyl....you did it!!!!!!!! Aren't they fun to make. You can also put a phone book of flowers with a weight on it and place it in a hot car.....the flowers will dry in a couple of days. There is a product called Sunwave press, but you can make your own. I use my padded presses to do that, but even in a book, the flowers will dry quickly. The quicker you dry them, the less time they have to rot and discolor. That is why I use many methods. I use the microwave for roses and daffodils....they hold their color perfectly. I have my dehydrator on all of the time....changing flowers. The thousands of verbenas I have done this year are in my regular large presses in the attic. Cellestine Hannemann wrote a book called Glorious Pressed Flowers and it has all of the basic instructions for pressing. I know her from my flower guild, but it was an article by her in an old craft magazine where I first heard of her and learned how to press flowers. She is one of the best. I first joined pressed flowers @ yahoo and then the Guild. When I first tried to make the orbs, I used the instructions on about.com and I don't like doing it that way. I got separation in the layers that showed when the orb was lit. I actually gave up making them until I figured out how to make them better. I am looking forward to seeing more of your "flower art"....you are now my petal sister.....Hugs, Donita