What am I doing wrong?

I have been attempting to make container candles using the 8 oz. seamless tins. I bought some of the ticky tacky stuff ( I cannot remember what its called) but its for container candles to getting the wick to stay sort of glued to the bottom of the container. I have tried using the darn stuff and everytime I do the wick ends up floating to the top. Am I supposed to wait and let the stuff sit for a bit before pouring? I really want to try these but am getting frustrated. I know another option is to use a glue gun but before I try that I wanted to see if maybe I am mising something. Thanks.

Anne

No, I don't think you're missing anything. I used tacky-wax to affix my wicks at one time and realized that it was hit-or-miss on whether they would stay or not.

I now gluegun tins & glass & very rarely have a problem. Glue them down, wait a little bit, give 'em a tug & if they stick, you're good to go.

GE Silicone works much better. You put a little on the bottom of the wick tab and once it's adhered to the bottom of the container, that wick is not going anywhere. The tube costs about $3 and will last you forever, lol. :)

I use either the wick stickums or a drop of super glue on the bottom of the wick and then when I see the wick is centered up I put 2 clothespins together and use them to hold the wick in place. You could do this without anything sticky.. If your container is small enough you can get away with putting the wick through the hole of one clothespin like I did here.

145417939_c1b521e8a9.jpg

I got mine at Wal-Mart near the paint section with the caulk and other sealants :)
Angela, how do you feel about the fact that the silicone never comes off? I was loving the silicone until I started thinking about this nice glassware that people could re-use except for the fact that the wick tab is never coming off. I looked on the GE site and they basically say there isn't any solvent that will dissolve it. It's got me thinking about running out to the hardware store to try out hot melt adhesive.

I have no clue what Yankee Candles is using in their New "YC" Collection square jars, but it's a bugger to get off. It does eventually release from the glassware, but the only way to get the tabs off of the glass is to soak the container in hot water and wedge a spoon underneath the tab and "Yank" it away from the glass. I guess that's why they call themselves "Yank"ee. :P

Angela, how do you feel about the fact that the silicone never comes off? I was loving the silicone until I started thinking about this nice glassware that people could re-use except for the fact that the wick tab is never coming off. I looked on the GE site and they basically say there isn't any solvent that will dissolve it. It's got me thinking about running out to the hardware store to try out hot melt adhesive.

I've moved over the wick stickums now, partially for that reason. I don't like having the adhesive on my testers because it makes the next wick tab not stick as well. I can scrape most of it off the bottom of the jar, but it's a pain to do that. I don't think that the hot glue works as well, so if someone needs something from the Wal-Mart/hardware store (instead of ordering from a candle supply store), I would suggest the silicone. But I would absolutely prefer wick stickums over anything else I've tried.

I don't know anything about the hot melt adhesive.

I forgot to mention that my customers have never said anything about reusing the jars as a decorative item or not being able to get the adhesive off.

I use that green gummy stuff that's on a roll from Walmart...found in the floral section. You just pinch a bit off and it sticks well. I started using it when my wicks started floating up in my containers with those glue dots. It is an ugly green but it gets covered up by the candle warning label. You just sort of have to scrape it off with your fingernail when done burning the candle.

Bought a glue gun from Michaels for $3.00 and it comes with 30 glue sticks.They work perfect every time and replacement glue sticks are almost free. Something like $2.00 for 50 of them.

Re-fill a lot of jars and a candle warmer melts the glue enough so that the wicks just lift right off. Never had a problem and they can buy the candle warmers right in my store.

Ron

That's pretty much how I have to remove the tabs from my candles when I use silicone ... the old spoon trick. It eventually works, but it's a bugger, for sure! I don't worry too much about what people may do with my jars after the candle is burned down. I'd rather have a secure wick and a candle that will burn to the end.

Yankee's is hard to get off plus they hardly use any glue. And heat does not release it. I use silcone and don't care if they can get it off cause my jars are not a fancy keeping jar. Haven't found anything that works better. Also for the sticky stuff or wick stickers, just be sure the bottom is clean. I alway wipe with alchol before attaching in my wicks or if I'm testing cause I want the wick tabs to come out later. Seems like they, jars or tins, have an oily coating or something on them that the stickem's won't stick to.