Advice on craft fair

moniek

I am going to be in a local craft fair the middle of october. I have 53 different scents on my line. Does everyone that does craft fairs take all of their different scents? Its from 10:00 in the morning to 6:00 in the afternoon. Any advice would be great!:smiley2:

Here is another take, limit the number of scents you take because if you have too many, people will not be able to choose !

I usually take only 15 scents ( 5 floral, 5 food, 5 other)that is more than enough and yes, someone will always want one you didn't bring but that will happen even if you take 100 scents.

Also, do you really want to lug all those candles for a one day show?:rolleyes2

and do you want people standing in front of you, sniffing all 53 scents taking up your selling time? Just some other things to think about :)

There was a mention of Bruce's display in the archives, and I couldn't find that one, but thought I would post a link to some pictures from a show I did this past spring--I do take lots of fragrances in my jelly jars because, as someone mentioned, you never know what people will buy!

(Apologizing in advance for the size of the picture! I couldn't figure out how to size it down.)

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=business;action=display;num=1114127462;start=

Wow--I hadn't seen that post; it must have been shortly before I discovered the Candletech forum and got addicted to it.

I do wish Bruce had come back to answer the question about how long it takes him for set up and tear down--that's a bit of a problem for me and usually takes about 3 hours to set up and about 2 to tear down (and repack the truck because I never sell half of what I take!). It looks like he's probably done enough shows to have it down to a science.

Jane

I have done a lot of craft shows and do a market every weekend.

I have a total of 30 regular scents (soap, not candles). I take all of them with me. I take 18 bars of each scent. I have never had a customer state that they were overwhelmed by all of it. I love it when they pick up bar after bar and say, "I cannot choose!". I charge $6.00 ea or 3 for $15.00 (6 oz.) bars. If you have a good selection then people will buy more... especially if you give an incentive. I say, the more is better!! :)

I would take as much that can fit into your car. Once you leave one particular scent at home, they will ask for it at the fair. TRUST ME!!!

That's no joke!! Fall/winter show and we had people asking for jasmine still.

Take as much as you have that you're comfortable with putting on the market. Variety tends to keep people in your tent awhile and of course so does a really good product :)

... I love it when they pick up bar after bar and say, "I cannot choose!"....

I have a customer like that - he's been to 2 of my fairs. He slowly closes his eyes, and picks up a bar and sniffs. Then down the line. (I give him coffee beans to sniff between).

He lines up the ones he likes first off on the table, then, when he's gone through everything, he comes back to his personal line and sniffs them all over again, just to pick his 3 favorites (since he always goes for the 3fer deal)

He's a trip to watch!

I have been making about 40-45 scents (gonna have to cut back). We did a show this spring and the more you have the longer they will want to look. It looks good to have a full booth. Makes other curious and they will come over. Take all you have, even if you only have 1. There might be someone that asks for that one. If you don't have room for everything at least bring it and keep it under the table in case someone does ask for that 1 candle. Also if you sell out of a scent you can replace it with extra that you brought.

I do about fifty scents and take everything I have. If it's fall, I'll pour up all of the fall scents and the holiday scents as well as all the fruits and such but not repour all of the florals. Just take what I have. I might have 4 or five of each. I just sell them out and am done with those until March. They aren't discounted, I just allow them to sell out.:cool2:

Hi Girls!

We set up every Sunday at the fleamarket and since it only goes for 6 or 7 hours we try to make things easy when we set up. First thing that comes out to the truck are the first things we need, tents, tables, displays then product. That works great and when we pack up its the same thing you pack product so its far from the tailgate then displays tables and tents. This way your not in the rain packing up or unloading (if it starts to rain).

Start to finish its a hour to set up or maybe a few minutes longer. About 45 to a hour to tear down. The most time consuming thing is putting the candles on the racks, we are working on a new setup that would take less time, but a hour is good for now. Oh, thats with 2 of us doing the set up, one would be a real pain.

HTH

Bruce

NP with the picture Robin!