*breathe* - UPDATED

Trish

I have a meeting tomorrow with the guy who took my candles to the Las Vegas and San Francisco furniture trade shows. He said he has some orders for me, he's not sure exactly how many but somewhere around 100 candles. I'm not sure if that's 100 total, or 100 sets, or what?

However....he's decided he doesn't want to be the middle man. He wants to just give me these orders and I'll be in contact with the customer from here on out. That is fine and all, but I have no idea if this will work better or worse.

I'm going to have to get my wholesale terms and pricing to each of these different vendors and I might possibly lose some if they only wanted to order 2 or 3 sets since I have a $100 minimum.

I have a ton of questions that I have to write down before I meet with him tomorrow (like how am I going to get paid!) Just a little anxious, nervous, excited and really, really reserved about how it will turn out. :undecided

Scrub your bathtub. That's what I always do when I'm stressed about shit and I have to remind myself to even breathe. I don't care if it's spotless, I still scrub it. It's something about getting my hair up in a pony tail, and wearing cleaning gloves and adreneline produced by the elbow grease or something HELL, I don't know WHAT it is. But it works :D

Good Luck in your meeting tomorrow...The Universe unfolds as it should ya know? I think a wise old monk said that once hehe, whoever said it, I took it to heart!

You want me to CLEAN?! :shocked2: Oh the horrors! Did you see my signature? ROFLMAO

It was a much better thing for me when he was going to take all the orders, order from me, then I give him the candles and he dealt with the rest. I only was going to have to worry about getting paid from one person not several! I expect these people plan on being invoiced with a net 30 days or something...I can't do that, or not sure I want to. I have no idea who they are!!

This is what worries me, that I might actually lose some of the orders because of payment terms. But I can't get overly worried YET, not until I actually get the info tomorrow.

We tried to talk on the phone, but the man has a very strong accent. It was hard to understand and we both thought it was better to do it in person. I need to stop and write down all the questions and thoughts going through my head so I don't forget anything! I'm bringing dh along to keep me focused on getting the answers I need. OYE!!

Did I mention, I need to *breathe* LOL

If the minimum order $$ is a problem, couldn't you be flexible on that? I only have a minimum order amount set up to prevent every Tom, Dick & Harry that has a resale number from ordering from me for half-price. If you know you're going to get some orders, does it really have to be at least $100 worth?

If I know the store actually exists and I feel good talking to the owner, I let them know that the minimum is negotiable. That makes them feel like they're getting a deal too.

Just something to think about :wink2:

And congrats on the new possibilities! They must be lovin' your candles! :cool2:

If the minimum order $$ is a problem, couldn't you be flexible on that? I only have a minimum order amount set up to prevent every Tom, Dick & Harry that has a resale number from ordering from me for half-price. If you know you're going to get some orders, does it really have to be at least $100 worth?

If I know the store actually exists and I feel good talking to the owner, I let them know that the minimum is negotiable.

Good idea! Good luck, Trish!

Ginny, the thing is...I have no idea who the different customers are. I was going to be selling to one guy who sells furniture wholesale. He was taking orders from people, going to place one order with me, then turn around and resell them to retail stores.

I've never met any of the people who've ordered, nor do I know where they're at (at this point anyway) He was in Las Vegas and taking orders, so people from all across the country could be ordering.

I have minimums because of the amount of time involved in me making pillars, to sell them at double my cost, needs to be a nice sized order. I don't want to constantly be making one or two sets at a time. IMO, it's not cost efficient to wholesale that way.

Trish, since you were going to sell them to a middle man at wholesale and he was going to resell them at a marked up price, you should be getting more than 2x your costs from the individual stores. Their price should be his marked up price. That might allow you to be a little more flexible on min. order qtys if that turns out to be an issue.

Breathe

Don't a lot of businesses ask for payment up front on the 1st order then offer terms on re-orders. That might allow you the time to determine who is a good credit risk. Just cause someone has a storefront doesn't mean they pay their bills on time. Also don't some require a higher min. order qty on the 1st order then a reduced min. on re-orders.

Breathe

Go get a manicure or massage to relax and focus your thoughts and

Good Luck

Trish, since you were going to sell them to a middle man at wholesale and he was going to resell them at a marked up price, you should be getting more than 2x your costs from the individual stores. Their price should be his marked up price. That might allow you to be a little more flexible on min. order qtys if that turns out to be an issue.

Breathe

Don't a lot of businesses ask for payment up front on the 1st order then offer terms on re-orders. That might allow you the time to determine who is a good credit risk. Just cause someone has a storefront doesn't mean they pay their bills on time. Also don't some require a higher min. order qty on the 1st order then a reduced min. on re-orders.

Breathe

Go get a manicure or massage to relax and focus your thoughts and

Good Luck

Sharyl, he only marked the sets up $1 when he went to the trade shows. He wants that $1 for a "commission" for getting these orders. In the future, I can keep the price he quoted them that included the $1, but right now my price is only doubled.

I agree, a lot of businesses ask for higher min on first orders and payment in full at that time, but I have no idea what he told these people. I'm worried that he told them all they would be invoiced after the items shipped and then I have a dilemma on what to do...

Of course I don't want to lose any possible orders or accounts by not filling the orders he took, but I have to protect myself as well. Some people might be upset that I want to get paid now when they were told they would be invoiced and cancel their order altogether, you know?

I really should not worry about anything until I talk to him tomorrow and see what the deal is. I jumped the gun even posting since I'm clueless on what's going on. I should've waited until I KNEW the details to post. LOL

Ugh, I'm rambling. My head is just swimming with possibilites and what I need to ask tomorrow when we meet.

Go have a drink to calm yourself down. Go to the meeting tomorrow and we can all help you deal with the issue AFTER you know whats going on.

For now, grab a glass of wine and unwind:)

Great idea! I guess I was more venting at the possibilities and feeling frustrated at the "unknown". Obviously nobody can help me when I don't know what I need help on. Just letting it out... lol My head is spinning trying to think of all the things I need to ask so I don't leave there with any doubts as to what is going to happen. It usually helps me to talk things out (or in this case, type)

I think I'll have a whole bottle of wine tonight (after cheer practice that is!)

This could be real good for you Trish. He's done all the initial legwork for you on getting these potential future accounts that have already seen, liked your product, and bought.

I would get ahold of these customers, and let them know that they can buy additional candles directly from the wholesaler (you) and can get a bigger discount now that there are no longer any fees to pay the salesman.

I do alot of buying in my job, and a net 30 usually isn't done unless a credit application is filled out 1st, so I wouldn't sweat that one until they want to start ordering from you regularly, then you may want to offer something like that to a big account. If you're set up to accept credit cards, chances are they can pay you that way. C.O.D. is another option you can offer them, but it's usually higher$ for them to do it that way.

Try to relax, get the scoop from the dude who sold the candles for you, take the list of contacts he got for you and run with it!!

Hope this snowballs into a ton of orders for you! :smiley2:

Ginny, the thing is...I have no idea who the different customers are. I was going to be selling to one guy who sells furniture wholesale. He was taking orders from people, going to place one order with me, then turn around and resell them to retail stores.

I've never met any of the people who've ordered, nor do I know where they're at (at this point anyway) He was in Las Vegas and taking orders, so people from all across the country could be ordering.

I have minimums because of the amount of time involved in me making pillars, to sell them at double my cost, needs to be a nice sized order. I don't want to constantly be making one or two sets at a time. IMO, it's not cost efficient to wholesale that way.

Ahh, I see your dilemma. I only make container candles so I make the same size batch no matter what the orders will be (I keep candles in stock rather than "made to order"). You do definitely want to make it worth your while.

Let us know how things progress!;)

Meeting went well, I suppose...

It looks like I will need to contact all but one of the customers to let them know that they ordered through Home Accents, but will be dealing directly with me.

He gave everyone but 2 net 30 days, so I think I'll need to stay with that or possibly lose some of the orders. He also marked each set up $3 and decided he doesn't want a "commission" from me, so I actually will make more money because everyone has been quoted those prices already.

Total of 168 3pc sets, 30 6" pillars and two small ones for a grand total of 536 pillars.

One customer ordered 72 sets! This wholesale guy wants me to give him those pillars because the customer is very particular about only receiving one shipment at a certain time. Fine with me!! LOL

I'm excited but still reserved. We'll see what happens when I contact everyone and hope noone cancels their order.

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement!!

:eek: OMG I am so jelous JK You go girl!! Congrats. I just got a huge order my self for 35 dozen tarts I am very happy for you

Congrats to you on your order!!

I just went and added up the total and it's almost $2900! I don't have enough FO, gotta go order some right now so I can get pouring! LOL