Green Leaf (again)

Well, I said I would never purchase a wax that is exclusive to one vendor, but ...

I can't get CBA (original) to stick to glass no matter what I do. Its not fair to fault it for that since pulling away is what its designed to do, but I just want a wax that doesn't pull away completely. Wet spots now and then I can take. I've had good luck with the CBA2, but that is no longer available as you know.

They (Green Leaf) have two waxes I'm interested in. The 70/30 and the Natural Blend Soy. Has anyone used BOTH of these waxes here and how do they compare to one another? Has anyone used the Natural Blend Soy? (There is I believe only one post about it on the GL board). Both of these waxes look great on paper.

I'm also really interested in both the adhesion of the waxes and how transluscent (or not) they are to your "standard" type soy waxes.

TIA

I just got a very small sample:( yesterday of the pure soy. ( I was hoping for more than 1 lb)

I poured it today. GL says it is a double pour wax, but I found it to set up fine with only one pour. It had the small circular cracks in the center after setting up. I heat gunned it and it is fine now.

As an X CBA and CBA2 user, I'm looking for the appearance and the easy wicking of CBA waxes but I want better adhesion and throw.

So far the adhesion of GL is doing well and there is no frosting. I'm really looking forward to burning it. I'm hoping it burns as good as it looks. I'll post some pictures if it goes well.

I haven't tried the 70/30 though.

I have used their 70/30 one lb sample in one jar and I like it alot, but you have to find the right temp to pour for good glass adhesion. If you pour exactly to their instructions, it will pull away some, but you can get pretty good adhesion by tweaking the pour temp. When I was done testing the jar I had I scooped out remainder, reheated just enough to melt, and repoured into a JJ and got only a few tiny spots pulling away. I too am apprehensive about this wax only available from GL but it is a very nice wax, and they are getting the mfg to tighten up their QC. I just received ten lbs for further testing. The two biggest drawbacks for me are the price ($1.50 per lb delivered) and it comes in slab form. I've been spoiled using flaked soy.

geek :cool2:

I've had good luck with the CBA1, but that is no longer available as you know. TIA

Henry,

I thought it was the CBA2 that was discontinued and the CBA1 was brought

back on the market. The supplier I use carries the orginial CBA1. Actually I just called to see if that has changed but forgot she is closed on Saturdays.

I'll have to check with her on Monday.:shocked2:

Kathy

Thanks for your posts.

Jenny, since NGI isn't making the first version anymore I think Peak's may be the second version (there is only one version now so people I assume just aren't differentiating it). Unfortunately Peak's distance makes shipping costs too high for me.

Jeanna I would love to see some picks as I don't think there are any posted here or on the GL board. (I will post some when I get the waxes also). I read that the pure soy needing a second pour depends on the size of the jar diameter so one could get away with not needing a second pour on the more smallish jars. How large was yours?

I prefer flaked soy also, but I'll deal with slabs. I just hope they aren't so soft they are messy. The parasoys I've tried where very oily and sticky and I didn't like dealing with the slabs so we'll see how it goes. I ordered a slab of the pure soy so I'm real interested in seeing how that one is. (My other ones were very easy to cut - just like really cold butter actually - nothing like paraffins.)

If anyone knows, does the 70/30 take color easier than regular soys or is it just as opaque?

Well I did find out even the small ones will need a second pour. Even though they were beautiful on top there were air pockets in there.

It didn't get one single wetspot even after a couple of days. I have been messing around with burning it. I've had to try several different wicks so far. Even without having the candle wicked properly it still has a nice scent throw. It seems the only draw back so far is getting the right wick in there.

The color takes very well in this wax and it appears it could handle really dark colors and not frost.

Here is a picture of it after a couple of days. I waited to see if the wetspots would show up. I'm really suprised how wetspot resistant and frost resistant this wax is.

This container is about 9 oz. When I get it wicked better I will add pictures of the burns. Sorry it isn't bigger I had to resize it to fit.

post-484-139458400257_thumb.jpg

Jeana I think that candle looks great :) Purples have a tendancy to frost too so the fact that you haven't gotten any is a plus. I'm wondering if one can tweak the pour temp to get rid of the pockets, then again, it may interefere with adhesion. I've dealt with air pockets here and there with CBA2 so it won't be so bad if I have to poke and pour as long as I don't have frost and huge wetspots to deal with.

I forgot I preheated the glassware and I poured about 140. And it is EVO color.

Since the tops set up so nice it is hard to imagine poking big holes when it doens't look like it needs it. But once it is lit the crater shows up.

I have been testing the 70/30 wax quite extensively for approx 1 month now and am loving it. I have been able to get complete adhesion with a little tweaking of the pour temps and the temperature of the jars that I am pouring in to. I have been able to pour deep red, burgundy, blues, purples...etc without any frosting and beautiful tops. After burning, the wax sets up beautifully, nice and creamy.

Yes, many people didn't like the second version. I was the opposite. :) I got rid of the holes with a few % of stearic, but I couldn't the wax seperates completely from glass.

Skydreamer - do you have any pics posted anywhere of them? I'm glad to hear that about the colors. I was hoping that with the 30% paraffin you could get deeper colors. Also glad to hear that the wax sets up nice after burning. (Wonder what their all-soy product does in that department).

Found their site (GL) and I put in 5 boxes and the freight was outrageous to me.

With purchasing 5 boxes going to me in Vancouver WA the price per pound is $1.70. I in no way can afford that price! Dang it anyway...I was hoping to try a stronger wax.

FO Lover

Found their site (GL) and I put in 5 boxes and the freight was outrageous to me.

With purchasing 5 boxes going to me in Vancouver WA the price per pound is $1.70. I in no way can afford that price! Dang it anyway...I was hoping to try a stronger wax.

FO Lover

Unfortunately, that's my problem too. Shipping to VA is more expensive than I can/should afford to spend. It's funny too because I get a lower shipping quote from BCN and they are on the far side of the country from me. Either way though, there are closer places to get wax and I need to use one of those suppliers. The less money I spend on shipping, the more money I can spend on FO. I do have to say that I really like the FO samples I got from GL the other day (except for Fig Dulce which smells horrible - hope it changes in wax).

I could have sworn there was a post about this and the owner of GL replied that you can't depend on the on-line cart for some reason and that you should email her.

I remember the post title was like "holy crap", "holy smoke", or something on that order with exclamation marks and done by I think a regular on this board and in the general candlemaking section - and it was about GL's shipping.

GL answered it, but I simply can't find it anymore no matter what way I search. So unless I'm totally off - you may want to contact GL directly.

I could have sworn there was a post about this and the owner of GL replied that you can't depend on the on-line cart for some reason and that you should email her.

I remember the post title was like "holy crap", "holy smoke", or something on that order with exclamation marks and done by I think a regular on this board and in the general candlemaking section - and it was about GL's shipping.

GL answered it, but I simply can't find it anymore no matter what way I search. So unless I'm totally off - you may want to contact GL directly.

Just to clarify, I did contact Brenda directly and she gave me a quote of appx $120 to ship 4 cases of wax to me (that $120 is for the shipping only, not including the cost of the wax). I can get 4 cases of the wax (with same weight) shipped from Candle Science for about $38. I honestly cannot afford to use this wax. Maybe they'll open another store in VA, lol. Would be nice :D

I remember that post too (just so you won't think you're crazy). Every time I order from GL Brenda manually adjusts the shipping for me. Their online cart is wonky.

Well I did find out even the small ones will need a second pour. Even though they were beautiful on top there were air pockets in there.

It didn't get one single wetspot even after a couple of days. I have been messing around with burning it. I've had to try several different wicks so far. Even without having the candle wicked properly it still has a nice scent throw. It seems the only draw back so far is getting the right wick in there.

The color takes very well in this wax and it appears it could handle really dark colors and not frost.

Here is a picture of it after a couple of days. I waited to see if the wetspots would show up. I'm really suprised how wetspot resistant and frost resistant this wax is.

This container is about 9 oz. When I get it wicked better I will add pictures of the burns. Sorry it isn't bigger I had to resize it to fit.

Hi Jeana,

That candle looks great and that is one of my favorite colors. :) I have been meaning to order more 70/30 (batch #4 to continue testing this) and wanted to order a test slab of the soy too. That is great news that GL soy did not frost with the candle you made. So, you did find hidden airpockets? This is what I wish I can get away from. However, if it frosts less and scent throw is great, then I can still put up with the poke and repours. I will let you know how it goes for me when I get around to testing it. Thanks for the post and picture.....pretty picture!

~Holly

Hi everyone - thanks for all the comments. They are appreciated. Just wanted to make a couple of responses on what I have read here.

#1 - Fig Dolce is not a sweet fig like people expect. It is a Green Fig - like crushed fig leaves and is a Diptyque Figuier type that is found in higher end stores. Some will love it and some won't. Just wanted to make sure everyone understands it is not a sweet fig.

#2 - Shipping. The cart was adjusted to account for shipping a full case of wax. So if you are checking our site to see how much shipping is for wax - 1-3 cases will be accurate - 4 cases will not since it is hundredweight. Everyone's hundredweight pricing is different based on the contract with UPS. For some reason, we don't seem to be getting as much of a discount recently and we have been going round and round with UPS (when we can get a sales rep to call us back :sad2: ) We are going to start checking with some other freight companies for this type of service.

#3 - Our natural soy wax. This is our blend. We blend several different manufacturers soy to obtain these results. We slab this wax ourself. It is a 2 pour wax without a doubt - even if you get smooth tops. I know this wax because I developed the mix trying to get around what was a "spring" issue that nearly shut us down every year. Our private label candle customers will not accept frosting - even in a soy candle. Seemed like every spring, the frosting got really bad and we had to come up with something where we could have the creamy looking candles our customers expect. There is no getting around the 2 pour or taking a heat gun to the top. It is harder than most container soys which is why it frosts less. Since it is harder - it shrinks - whether or not you can see it. It does not contain any beeswax - which we found could bind up some FO's in soy and cause it not to throw well. Ours does throw well and does not leave the soy "pits" while burning.

I hope this explains some things and please let me know if you have any questions about the wax.

Thanks

Sorry to leave you hanging with the burn info. In regards to the pure soy wax, the adhesion was still 100% until I fired it up. Then most of it came off the glass.

Honestly I can't get this wicked. I tried CD, ECO, & LX. I couldn't get any of them to burn out to the sides completely and give any kind of MP. This seems to be the luck of all the waxes I have been trying for the last six months though, so I am not sure if it is me. Everyone else seems to be able to wick this one fine.

I burned the stem glass shown in the picture for close to 10 hours one day trying to get a full MP. It still didn't happen. The flame is big enough so I don't know what the deal is.

When I burned it the regular amount of time it set up again nicely, but after this power burn it is very cottage cheese like.

I have pulled out some of my CBA to test again to see if it really is me. This was the last wax I could wick easily.