Making 1 or 2 Tarts At A Time

KimM

I use the flower shaped molds and have been getting orders for just 1 or 2 tarts of one scent.

What are the measurements? I usually use 1/2lb of wax and then when they only want 1 or 2, I have the other 10 to do something with, ya know?

Thanks in advance.

Why would you only want to make 1 or 2 at a time? I wouldn't go to the trouble to make any less than a half dozen or a dozen. Tarts are not that expensive of an item that you couldn't make extras to keep on hand. That is a lot of trouble to go through to make 1 or 2 IMO.

I agree! I package my tarts 2 per package, so they HAVE to buy at least 2. I can make a small 1/2# batch, but I package the others ready to go when the next person buys. The only time I package them singly, is to give out as samples.

PamR

Why would you only want to make 1 or 2 at a time? I wouldn't go to the trouble to make any less than a half dozen or a dozen. Tarts are not that expensive of an item that you couldn't make extras to keep on hand. That is a lot of trouble to go through to make 1 or 2 IMO.

Ditto!!

Tarts store really well, just make a bunch up, then you won't have to worry when someone wants just one or two, you just go get them from your box you have them stored in. Makes life a lot less stressful ;)

Do they lose scent after awhile though?

I usually make a 1/2 lb, I did do a full lb this last order since she wanted 20 of one scent.

What do you all store them in after you make them?

Mine are soy wax and DO damage easily so I have to watch how I handle them

You can store them in a plastic shoe box, I buy them at the dollar store. Make sure it has a 5 on the bottom. You can also store them in ziplock freezer bags. Never store candles in anything that is polyethylene, you want polypropylene or cellophane.

For me if I am not melting at least a lb of wax it is not worth my time. I just stock up. Also the more scents you have available the more people are inclined to buy. For people who buy from me at home, when they come they always leave with more than they said they were coming for.

I agree with the others. It's best to figure out a good way to store them so that you can make 12 tarts at a time instead of 1 or 2. Making 1 or 2 tarts is like trying to bake 1 or 2 cookies instead of a whole batch of 1 dozen.

Yep just store them in a plastic storage box/container of some kind (must have the 5 on the bottom though) and they'll last indefinitely. ;)

I've had some that I did a year ago Mother's Day, and they are still going strong. I mean I open up those containers, and WHEW they knock your socks off!! :D

You can store them in a plastic shoe box, I buy them at the dollar store. Make sure it has a 5 on the bottom. You can also store them in ziplock freezer bags. Never store candles in anything that is polyethylene, you want polypropylene or cellophane.

I have heard about the "5" on the bottom. I will have to look for some containers. I have mine in baskets now but want something different.

I use polypro bags, got them from Aroma Haven.

Talking about storing tarts, where do you store your wax and FO?

I have my wax in our bedroom closet and the FO and supplies for making tarts are in a cabinet in the kitchen. I need a craft room LOL.

I store mine in large glass canning jars with plastic lids. Scents stay nice and strong for quite a while; the ones I made before Christmas are still going strong.

I would think the smallest quantity you'd want to make would be maybe 1/4 oz. of wax to 1/4 oz. of fo (assuming your wax holds that scent load). I'd estimate that would make about 6 standard fluted tarts. Although I never go that small with my batches, personally.

Suds, you just HAD to say the "c" word, didn't you?? Sigh ... (trots off to the cookie jar for a couple homemade chocolate chip cookies.) :laugh2:

When you put your tarts in the containers with a "5" on them, do you bag them first or just put them in there and when someone wants to buy some, you bag them up then??

I have made one tart before when I'm in a big rush. Color is a problem so if you are making colored tarts I would forget the small amounts. But for one oz wax use .1 oz FO that works out to about 1.5 per lb, which is what I use for my soy tarts. I have a pitcher for every scent I make so there is usually some wax left in the bottom, so I just heat and pour.

I use to store my tarts in the plastic shoe boxes unwrapped and they were fine. Sometimes they would turn or dry out but that is a soy batch thing. Now I go ahead and wrap each tart before I store in the plastic boxes. Just a little less messy and they are ready to go in case I get an order.

I make a dozen at a time and then shrink wrap each of them as I go. If I pile them on top of each other they end up getting scuffed up and ratty looking. So I shrink wrap them so they can get shifted all around in the bag without getting a mark on them...then I put them in freezer bags, write the scent on the bag and then put them in my large three drawer plastic container. I later label them as each scent is requested. I don't want to waste my labels or ink in case they don't sell well, so I wait to do that. If they don't go, then I burn them myself.

I put each tart in a cellophane 3x5.5 bag from Aroma Haven. I fold the bag over and seal with a 1 1/2 inch round label on which I have printed the scent name. I sell more tarts than anything. Many people want to buy a large bag of assorted fragrances. Some want 10 or more of the same scent. I never have them around for long. I wouldn't consider making less than 4 of any scent at a time. Usually I make at least 6 or 8.

I put each tart in a cellophane 3x5.5 bag from Aroma Haven. I fold the bag over and seal with a 1 1/2 inch round label on which I have printed the scent name. I sell more tarts than anything. Many people want to buy a large bag of assorted fragrances. Some want 10 or more of the same scent. I never have them around for long. I wouldn't consider making less than 4 of any scent at a time. Usually I make at least 6 or 8.

Those are the bags that I use too

I bought 6 of the Sterilite brand 6QT Shoe Boxes.

They have a 5 on the bottom in a triangle.

Will they work? They were only .97 so I will get more some other day, at that price, I can stock up easily hehe

I premake my tarts in 10. Then store them in plastic containers marked with a 5 on the bottom. When I start getting low I just remake another 10. I have an entire wall FULL of plastic contailers with tarts. When someone places an order I just walk over and start picking out their scents. This creates a faster turn around time and also allows for less headaches. You don't always feel like your racing the game and your products look nicer.

I actually got this advice from another etailer who also does the same thing and now I swear by it!

Do they lose scent after awhile though?

I usually make a 1/2 lb, I did do a full lb this last order since she wanted 20 of one scent.

What do you all store them in after you make them?

Mine are soy wax and DO damage easily so I have to watch how I handle them

I make a bunch of one scent at a time, then I package in polypro bags and label, then put into plastic boxes according to scent. That way when I have an order they're all ready to go. I have some tarts that are over a year old and there's no scent loss at all. I sell them singly but don't think I'd ever melt wax just to make one or two. It's WAY too much trouble to do only one or two at a time IMO.

I make a bunch of one scent at a time, then I package in polypro bags and label, then put into plastic boxes according to scent. That way when I have an order they're all ready to go. I have some tarts that are over a year old and there's no scent loss at all. I sell them singly but don't think I'd ever melt wax just to make one or two. It's WAY too much trouble to do only one or two at a time IMO.

Thanks, that is what I am going to do. I bought some Sterilite Shoe Boxes today and they have the "5" on the bottom and I am going to put the tarts in the polypro bags and put them in the shoe boxes. I need to find a place for the shoe boxes now LOL.