Newbie CP Soap Challenge!

magsglass

Okay gonna try for soap #2 today....that is if I can get it done before we go to pick up candle jars. This one is going to be chocolate brownie and I am going to try to color it with cocoa powder. We'll see, keeping fingers crossed, as soon as my MIL is out of the kitchen I am in....lol

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all of you for your encouragement. I have pics of the cut soaps and the mysterious swirls are just kind of shy. lol I am so excited, just like I gave birth. My dh must think I am kind of silly, but, I am so proud. I could not have done it without all your help and encouragement. They are by no means beautiful, but they are MINE.

I am no longer a virgin soaper I am now a soaper in progress.

I used BNL Olive Blossom and Chameleon mica (from the co-op)

firstcpsoapcutpicts20hours0058.th.jpg

Wahoo...:yay: :yay: :yay:

Magsglass you were right they did lighten, now to see what color they end up :bump:

SUzie those are gorgeous!! Man I should have used that color instead of the black cherry with my sandalwood rose, but not disappointed in the outcome.

Absolutely love that swirl and I keep soaping trying to get something like that!

Mags ... yeah I think that's a close description, except the cake batter stuff will still pour without needing a spatula. Just need that spatula to say umm clean the bowl.

Yay Suzie!! :highfive: :yay:

So there's where the mystery swirls are hiding! LOL!

And you used Olive Blossom! Of the bazillion samples I got from BCN, Olive Blossom was the one I first made body spray with. Oh, it smells incredible! I carry that spray with me everywhere. Wow, I can't wait to see how it smells in your soap! :drool:

Congrats Suzie....is there another batch in the near future???

hewells You know, I'm thinking........YES

I am too excited to decide which one next. lol

Hibiscus you will find that scale to be one of your best purchases, for soap and candles you will not be sorry for the expense.

I am excited to see everyone elses soap for more inspiration...Wahoo

Oh Scented I think your soaps are beautiful. I am not sure what color mine will end up yet, it is in the air (pun intended) but, I think those micas will be great to play with.

edited to add.

I got 15 bars out of this batch.(4 lb log) How many do you think we will need for a swap at the end? On to my next batch soon....

Scented: Yup, that's what I meant; spatula to scrape down the bowl. Whew, glad I've got the right consistency in mind!

Hibiscus: I'm so glad you changed your mind and are going to join us! Feel free to add your name to the list whenever you're ready. :yay:

Heather: Still waiting on my dyes. They'll be here in a few days (fingers crossed). Hehe, or maybe I'll get the bug to whip up something sooner. Think the leftover Paas egg colors will suffice? (j/k) :D

Suzie (and everyone), about the swap...

Since we all make different sized batches, I guess the easiest thing to do will be to send in however many bars you want, and you'll get back that many bars in exchange. So for example if we have 12 people, but you did a small batch and are sending in only 8 bars, you'll get 8 bars back. You just wouldn't get one from everybody in the swap. Does that make sense?

Or.... we could always do half-sized bars so everyone would have a bar from all participants. Either way is fine with me. Does anyone have a preference? Or maybe another way we could do it?

What is the total count we have right now?? I would say that if it gets to big we can always cut the bars in half that way everyone gets to try some. But whatever way we decide to do this, Im sure there will be plenty of soap to go around lol

LOL! I'm good with half bars. I still have a ton of soap to wade through and try and hardly any room. Wouldn't half bars let us keep some of our soaps to try ourselves? I'm only getting 12 bars to a loaf, so I can't really go over that and send full bars KWIM?

Here's the List:

1. Magsglass

2. scntdwik

3. hewells

4. angiebaby

5. elitenaildesign

6. LovelyLathers

7. SuzieE

8. Scented

9. CozyAromas

10. Tammie

When Hibiscus joins, we'll be at 11 participants.

Scented brings up a good point that people might want to keep some of their first soap to save for posterity and/or future testing. I know I will. When I started this challenge I had considered that, which is why I thought a partial swap might work.

While it would be nice to have a sample from everyone involved, it might not be feasible for some, and that's okay. Whatever you can manage: half bars, full bars, or only a few bars...this will be fine. And if you make more than 1 batch and want to share some from each, that works too. I'm easy. ;)

Well I would be up for 1/2 bars of all three that I've done. I don't think any of them will kill anyone ;) And that would be more results to know about the recipes. However, I won't send recipes, because ummmmm not one of them has been a duplicate batch. Ack! I keep switching percentages around, dropping ingredients etc. So far I'm keeping it straight as to what's what, but it's going to get tricky if I make much more.

Scented brings up a good point that people might want to keep some of their first soap to save for posterity and/or future testing. 

LOL I am thinking I might need to put one into a shadow box and keep it around forever lol.....

Half bars works just great with me. I have this one for now and will probably have another one (hopefully works out) before then that is done curing too.

Scented, you go girl, I will probably stick with just this one recipe until I feel a lot more comfortable with ingredients.

I agree half bars sound good. I gotta get on my 2nd batch didn't get it done yesterday so its work work work today, I think I will make soap first then mess with my new candle jars.

ETA: 2nd soap is in the mold and my camera won't work...I need new batteries.

Oh Heather run out and get batteries quick and share your pic..I love seeing everyones pics, almost like an adrenoline(where is spell check when I need it?) rush to get me going again..lol

Okay I finally did it...I did my 2nd batch and I must say this time I was more aware of what I was putting in my batch. It even looks better, I have a pic in the gallery that you are more than welcome to view. I used a camera phone as I don't have a digital camera, as yet...which sucks. I'm glad I was able to mess up on the first because now I was aware of what to do and what not to do....and the lye doesn't even scare me as it did before I first started. I didn't even bother to use my electric blender instead I used a wire whisk which wasn't bad with a 2lb batch.

Thanks 4 everyone who has posted their pics and decided to take this challenge.

You talking about soapcalc9? That's what I've been playing around on just seeing the values etc. Actually two batches came from there, but I'm thinking someone else needs to try these out before I soap again ... and I'd love to soap again, but doesn't look to be soon.

Soapcalc rocks! I love that you can print out your recipes and jot down notes as you go along. :cool2:

Okay, so here's where I'm at...

The exploding bottles of dye arrived today. Oy vey, what a mess!

There was more tie-dyed mayhem in that Ziplock bag than at Woodstock '69. It's gonna make some funkadelic-lookin' soap I tell ya! :shocked2: *getdown*

So now that the dye is here I've got all my stuff lined up & ready to go. I'm happy to report that as of 3:00pm-ish today I'm feeling the coherence returning to my brain. {{{thank you, Amoxicillin}}}

If I can get more than 3 hours of sleep tonight, I'll be pouring a moldful of soap tomorrow. Yeehaa, I can't wait!

Wish me a good night's sleep!!