Newbie CP Soap Challenge!

magsglass

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the LabColors from BB. I hope they're as vivid as I hear they are. Oh, and since I was ordering those, I had to get a few extra goodies like some micas & glitters. You know, *soap bling*. LOL!

I just saw your CLV soap and started salivating. (no, it's not the cold--it's definitely the soap!!) Really beautiful! :bow:

I can't wait to see your soap Mag, I'm sure it's going to look great. I have some Mica and oxides from BB, hopefully I'll get a nice shade of green for my cuccumber melon.

I have Robin's tutorial in one hand and my blender in the other hand so I'm ready to go...wish me luck as well. I'll make sure to post pics tomorrow!!!

Go Pam, go Pam, go Pam!:yay:

(hey, I'm getting pretty good at this chanting thing, aren't I?) :wink2:

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your green turns out the way you want it. I can't wait to see your pics. Good luck, girlfriend! May the good soaping fairies be with you!

I thought I was on a roll, I had my goggles on, my face mask, my gloves on and Robin's Tutorial in hand. I proceeded with each step carefully from mixing my lye to waiting for my soap to trace. Well as the soap was setting up, I thought I grabbed my fo but instead I grabbed some castor oil. :shocked2:

Now before you can say how that happened, I'll tell ya. I was working out of my Soap Kit I bought, well this particular company have their fo's and castor oil in the same bottle and instead of picking up my fo I picked up the castor oil up (without knowing). So as I'm using my blender, my trace is starting to set up really thick (which I don't think is normal, because at this point it is as thick as paste) as I start to pour I don't smell any fo. I looked at the bottle I threw away and it was darn castor oil.

I went on ahead and threw it away :cry2:, because it was way too thick...I'm a trooper so I'll try again tomorrow. This time I will prepare my products ahead of time so there will not be any mistakes. I'll try posting tomorrow, wish me luck!!!

Lesson is, Although you're careful with the lye make sure to read your bottles and labels before mixing into the pot!!!

Well, I am excited to say that my first batch ever had been in the mold for approx. 3 1/2 hours now. I had to peek at it, I couldn't stand the suspense any longer.:rolleyes2 It seems to be gelling around the outer edges ??? From all the pictures I have seen in tutorials, they seemed to gel from the center first. Is mine o.k.? I have it wrapped in a large towel and a blanket and it is HOT. I am wondering if I have it wrapped too much. What do you think? :undecided

Suzie

I did my first CP today and it looks like CRAPOLA. I tried to do the swirl in the pot but I dont think I let it trace well enough. I used a purple mica and it looks more like rasberry. i hope it changes and I used lavender fo. I think for the challenge I will do a solid color. How do you all do a two color swirl?

Good luck Pam :) It's going to go much better. Trust me! I have fewer and fewer "OMG what now" moments. I don't think the castor oil would have thickened your batch up so much, but maybe you stirred it to a thick trace? I'm no expert, just was curious.

Suzie, hope you took a pix before you put your batch to bed ;) Actually is it not looking like gel in the middle at all? I always have my batches covered with a saran wrap on top and then a towel as I have no lids with my mold. I guess when I think it has stopped gellin is when I pull one of the covers off. I have no idea what's right, but you don't want to overheat a batch is all I know. I could, and still can't, stop peeking at batches lol!

Elite -- I'm still learning the whole swirl thing too. Hope you took pixs! Actually you may be surprised by your first batch.

Pam: Oh noooo! Well that's a real bummer. :sad2: I hope tomorrow goes much better. I'm sure it will!

SuzieE: Hmmm...never heard of gelling from the outside in. Let us know how it looks tomorrow, okay? (fingers crossed for you)

Jennie: I bet it turns out just fine. Raspberry-colored lavendar scent sounds really nice! I'm curious to hear how the gelling process affects the color.

You guys, I'm so jealous that you got your stuff going already. Your posts are making me so excited to start! I can't wait for the UPS guy to show up next week. In the meantime, can I live vicariously through you? (pics, please!) ;)

Scented & Heather: You both had mentioned doing another pour. Did you yet?

Admittably I did. My goodness I'm lucky it's been semi-rainy, overcast because otherwise I would dink with candles lol Not soap! Soooo I've actually made three batches and all with different recipes. This one I probably needed to go full water on because it um traced fast on before I even added FO.

Val, I start with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of oxides, micas, ultramarines etc. in about 1 T of glycerine and mix it up. I tried to do something that just flat didn't work this time, but I have the gizmo charged and will use it next time.

"...but I have the gizmo charged and will use it next time."

The "gizmo"??

(in super spy voice...) So vee haf und secret weapon, hmmm? Das ist verry interestingk!

Okay, so like do we get 10 guesses about this gizmo? No wonder your soaps turn out so great--you've been holding out on us! LOL! :P:wink2:

Oh no! I just found out about this utensil talking with Sherie last night lol. I haven't even used it yet. It's called The Gizmo and it's a Black & Decker product. It's a beater, but only uses one at a time, comes with two kinds of whipping things. (Am exhausted so I can't think) ... look at Wal-Mart in the kitchen aisle for them. Although mine ended up being more than Sherie's, but it should be handy mixing color better.

I don't think the castor oil would have thickened your batch up so much, but maybe you stirred it to a thick trace? I'm no expert, just was curious.

You know I got so excited with the stick blender that I believe that when I got to trace I just decided to keep on going instead of stopping. Therefore I had a thick goop. I started mixing with a whisk then I moved to the stick blender and I believe I just lost it!! I'll never do that again. :embarasse

O.K. I peeked at my "soap" this morning and I am going to post two pics. The first one is when I think it was gelling around the edges?? and the second one is this mornings peek. The little color you see in the front corners is my attempt at swirling in the pot. LOL I was so anxious when I poured it into the mold I didn't pay any attention to the swirl and I am not sure where it is hiding. :shocked2:

firstcpsoap0015bh.th.jpg

firstcpsoapnextmorning16hours1.th.jpg

I was expecting to see white soap? Does this look right? it is 16 hours since I put it to bed. I used Olive , Coconut and Palm and a recipe that came with it from ebay from the person I bought my log mold from.

Help!!

Suzie

You know I got so excited with the stick blender that I believe that when I got to trace I just decided to keep on going instead of stopping. Therefore I had a thick goop. I started mixing with a whisk then I moved to the stick blender and I believe I just lost it!! I'll never do that again. :embarasse

Well I said that about the castor, but then in the new recipe I tried it just went cake batter or thicker on me. Sherie says it was the water discount, but I seriously didn't have much time to work with it at all.

Can't wait to see your firsts!

I know on trace that Eugenia told me to get it to pancake batter consistency I think it was and then stop. I've been trying to be at that stage.

Suzie, I bet it gelled just fine. I've never eatched a batch go into gel. I bet it's fine. Can't wait to see your's cut :)

I haven't had a chance to do another pour yet, heck I still have to cut the first one. I have been soooo busy with the kids, and have felt like crap for two days now. I am going to cut this soap today even if I have to string the kids up by their toes to leave me alone....lol

ETA: Okay I posted cut pics in the gallery in my original pic post

Thanks Scented...I'll try to remember pancake batter consistency instead of school paste consistency!! I'm off to try again....(trying to get a mental pic of pancake batter):)

Good luck, Pam!!

Scented: Pancake batter...thin enough that when you pour it into the mold it flattens out on it's own, but thick enough that a thin layer clings to the sides of the pot. I'm thinking of a cake batter consistency where I'd need a rubber spatula to scrape the last of it from the bowl. Does that sound right?

Suzie: From the pics it looks like the color has evened out (except for the mystery swirls :wink2:), and that overall it's getting lighter in color as it cures. Is it? I'm trying to remember what I read about how the color of your olive oil affects the final soap color. Will look to see if I can dig up a link to that discussion.

I think your soap is looking great so far! :yes: