Newbie CP Soap Challenge!

magsglass

OMGosh guys this is so cool... don't be sceerd, you can do it!! :highfive:

Can't wait to see everyone's creations - even if it's just plain jane soap, the first batch is the one your always going to remember... ah, just seeing it come together for the first time... brings me back to my first batch!

OK - enough reminiscing... have fun, be safe & post pics!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heather, you're not the only one trying to get a recipe in order. I've been hanging out at soapcalc.com tweaking and tweaking Bunny's basic recipe of 50% hard oils, 50% soft oils. I feel like a mad scientist. Muhahaha!

By the time I was done, the hard oils were at 52.5%. Even so, all the combined qualities fall within the ranges they list on their "good range" chart. But I wonder if it might be too rich because I'm on the high end of the range for bubbly lather, creamy lather, & cleansing. Here's my numbers:

Hardness: 41

Cleansing: 21

Condition: 55

Bubbly lather: 30 (heehee...bubblicious, which is what I like!)

Creamy lather: 29 (does this mean all those bubbles will be thick & floofy?)

Iodine: 60 (I have no idea what the range should be)

INS: 147

BTW, I left the water at 38% 'cuz I'm afraid of things going screwy with the FO. Also left superfat at 5%.

Like I said, it looks good on paper...but I've got a nagging feeling something's amiss with it. Anyone have any thoughts about these numbers?

Sue: Hooray for the bullseye method! LOL! <---passes Sue the "good" darts

Scented: I've been perusing the FO's on the "Scents that ROCK" thread. But what I want to know is where they hid the "Scents that Guarantee Soap-on-a-Stick for Unsuspecting Newbies" thread?? I'd rather like to avoid those! :D

Thanks for the good darts but I have my own. lol..

I was looking for that stick list too. I was thinking of a great neroli scent I have but I also have a few others that I would like to try, I am afraid to do too much other than a basic plain jane. But I am more than a plain jane.

I have a major festival this weekend to do, I can not think to hard abot this challenge until Monday. So hoping on Tues I will have everything in place to begin this adventure. GuppyGirl, thanks for the boost of confidence. Sue

Sue: Hooray for the bullseye method! LOL! <---passes Sue the "good" darts

Scented: I've been perusing the FO's on the "Scents that ROCK" thread. But what I want to know is where they hid the "Scents that Guarantee Soap-on-a-Stick for Unsuspecting Newbies" thread?? I'd rather like to avoid those! :D

LMAO!! You and me both! I keep reading peeps have to keep an extra eye for grapefruit stuff (though I had no probs soaping grapefruit jasmine, but I didn't take a discount and wouldn't know how to anyway) and some florals which we could see what happens with sandalwood rose ... that or I may break down and dump the rest of my mimosa punch into soap lol! However I have more sandalwood rose than I do mimosa punch. Oh the decisions.

Hey Mags what in the world you got going into that mix lol! I couldn't get bubbles up for nothing lol and I was over there clicking and reclicking. So I am going to fit into this just fine because it's a whole new recipe. The other one ended up too drying for me.

I'm not anywhere near starting into soaping yet, I just wanted to say I'm cracking up at you throwing the glove in the ring lol

Haha, like that? Yeah, I've declared it "The Soapmaker's Gauntlet" (seeing as how it wasn't getting used for housework or anything) :laugh2:

The christening of the Gauntlet shall take place within the next 2 weeks, exact time TBA. Pictures of the ceremony will be forthcoming. :grin2:

Well I got my receipe together, I just need to run it through a soap calc. It's a basic receipe nothing to special, I just hope it lathers real good, and leaves your body soft and smooth as a baby's bottom!!!:laugh2: As for the scent I haven't quite narrowed that down yet, maybe I need to look at the thread that lists scents that rock in cp!!!!

I'm using a 2lb mold, so I hope that's okay!!!!:undecided

Pam,

A 2lb. mold sounds perfect, IMO. Not too big to be a hassle, not too small to complicate the calculations (imagine trying to figure oil & lye weights by the thousandth of an ounce??) Okay, maybe not that miniscule, but you know what I mean. :)

Okay, who else has their recipe picked out?

Yay, another person!!!!!

Hi Tammie! I'm so glad to have you with us! :yay:

The List:

1. Magsglass

2. scntdwik

3. hewells

4. angiebaby

5. elitenaildesign

6. LovelyLathers

7. SuzieE

8. Scented

9. CozyAromas

10. Tammie

I know there are others out there who are riding the fence, and I sincerely hope you will join in. Your soap doesn't have to be fancy; it can be made from simple grocery store oils. In fact, if it even remotely resembles soap we'll all consider it a raving success! :highfive: :bliss:

No worries, we're beginners. :)

Okay got all my ingredients, now if I can just figure out what to use to mold this soap I can begin....any suggestions??? I was going to make one since we have the wood, but can't come up with measurements. UGH!!!!!

SuzieE, I got mine (Red Devil) at the local grocery store. Apparently we don't have much of a meth concern because the store still stocks it here. :yay:

But here's a link to another thread with pics of a lye you can get at Lowe's:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22077

Also some of the suppliers carry it. If you want, I'll dig through my bookmarks to see who's stocking it. Just let me know.

Alright ... I'm kinda stuck on what scent to do so I'm taking suggestions and hope some of you come up with something I have LOL! Seems I need that little bit of push to try a batch. :rolleyes2

Well boy-howdy, *there's* a big ol' wide open door of possibilities! LOL! :P

Might be easier to help if we knew what FO's you have in stock. Then again, if you're a scenthound (looking at your screen name) pretty much anything we suggest will be a possibility, right?? :laugh2:

Why not pick from a scent-family you haven't soaped yet? Didn't you do a Grapefruit-Jasmine one already? (not sure if that's the right scent, but I do remember the grapefruit part)

Oh man I sooooooooo want to get in on this. I've been reading for months and wanting to make soap real bad even had a friend make a box mold for me. I am just so broke I can't pay attention :cry2: Maybe I can scrape here and there. Would rebatch count? I forgot to ask do I have to have a stick blender? I know it helps trace quicker.

Thanks Magsglass We do have a Lowe's that is new & not too far from here. I will get my husband to cart me there this week end since I know I would get lost. LOL Thanks for the help. I will get back with you for the links if I can not get a hold of any there.