My husband's red bumps.... :)

lindsaycb

Okay, I guess we're getting personal now! ;)

But my Dh has these red bumps on his thighs that are just really confusing me on what to do. He want's me to create some magic potion or something...and I'm thinking loofah soap.

Anyone out there with experience on such a thing? Should I just have him shave his hairy legs? LOL

This winter, I've changed my soap to be a lard/rbo/palm/coconut soap and I'm wondering if that's part of the issue. Previously I stuck with my trusty olive/coc/palm and his legs were never this bad. He's actually embarassed to put on a pair of shorts.

How about an olive bar with loofah & tea tree, then following up with a tea tree spray?

Sounds like it could be infected or ingrown hair follicles. I would think a good exfoliating soap and the tee tree would be a good start. I have never used lard in my soaps, I wonder if that might not tend to clog pores. I'm sure that someone else with more lard experience can tell you.

I used to get those on my forearms.........according to my dr. they have to do with aging and the hair folicle clogging. I now use a bath pouf in the shower to exfoliate while washing and the bumps disappeared in a few weeks. Also, I don't use any oils or butters in my soap that will clog pores!! :cool2:

You said he's had them before...does he always have them and they're just more red than normal? My daughter and I both have those red bumbs on the back of our arms and tops of our thighs. It's a hereditary condition called Keratosis Pilaris...and unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it. It has something to do with your body making excess karatin and it clogging the pores or something like that. They never go away for us, but regular exfoliation and moisturization keeps them from getting worse. I'm not saying this is what he has, but from the location of them and your description, that's my guess. I'd definitely follow the advice given about seeing an MD or dermatologist though.

I get those also. :( Usually get worse when I shave or in the heat, don't know why, but sometimes they hurt and sometimes they are like little pimples. I've always thought they were ingrown or infected folicles????

I get those little bumps on my upper arms also, kind of like little pimples/clogged pores, can't stand them, I'm always checking my arms to see if I have any, and then squeezing them, can't stand to have them on me. ;)

My sister has a different condition though, that I've always called "chicken skin" yep, I'm a mean big sister. ;) LOL

It's just really fine bumps all over her extremities (looks like a plucked chicken LOL), no dr. was ever able to give a clear diagnosis for this, but when she was a teen she discovered that shaving helped the ones on her legs, so now she shaves her arms as well, poor thing.

Anyway, I just live with MY bumps/infected folicles, never found anything to get rid of them yet. :(

You may want to make your soap anitbacterial and exfolliating. What it may be is clogged pores, my husband gets them from oily work pants(he is a mechanic). He uses an antibacterial soap and a loofah in the shower this seems to help. He has also from time to time used epsom salt baths(with glycerin) to help clean out the pores.

The way you guys are talking the soaps I make are not good for your skin.I use Lard in my soaps.I don't want to make something that will clog someone's pores.What oils,and butters clog the pores?I'm new at this,and bought alot of oils.

Thanks,Anna

Although I have treated similar issues with something whipped up in the kitchen that usually works, If you want to be certain of what it is, it's always a good idea to have a doctor check it out but if for whatever reason you want to try something, here is what I did for my red bump issue. I washed my face with sweet almond oil and tea tree oil mix. Just slathered it all over and tissued it off with a moist cotton pad.. Than I made a mix of wheat germ oil a tea tree oils and applied it only to the affected areas twice daily. I used a q-tip or gauze to apply the wheatgerm oil mix and it took a few days to clear up but it did. I also washed with castile soap that I added tea tree to in between the oils washing. Because I had already made a doctors appointment I kept it and he gave me a prsecription for hydrocortisone at 2% or something like that. You can always purchase hydrocortisone at 1% otc and see how that works for him. My husband uses it for his eczema and he wont' try anything that I make and he swears by the stuff.

BTW my mixture works slower than hydrocortisone. I know this because the bumps came back( I think I may be allergic to soy wax) and I tried the cortisone and it works rather quickly but I don't get all those great benefits like skin that glows( not from the oils)lol and it's just soooo soft. Not saying your husband is concerned about any of that..LOL but the hydrocortisone might do the trick faster. Oh, and pure tea tree works very well on boils and bumps. It took some getting used to the smell but now I love it!:yay:

HTH

my children's father used to get these patches all over his body, especially in the summer. i read in a magazine that sometimes these can be fungal outbreaks, so for a while we treated it topically with otc lotramil cream (jock itch cream) and they responded. but i also made him go to a dr. and after some tests, it was determined that he had a rather intensive, body wide fungal infection, so the dr. put him on some pills (can't remember what they were). it took about 3 months, but his skin AND toe nails all cleared up and he has been fine since.

cheryl