A right way to swirl in soap mold???

SoapInTheCity

So is there a RIGHT WAY to swirl that makes the swirls so perfect in the soap mold?

Really - I should have just asked Brenda, as she never has a bad looking swirled bar........

:P

:laugh2: You only see the GOOD ones! For me there are so many variables; some recipes are easier to swirl, and some colors act better when swirling. Then there's the perfect point at which to swirl - if I miss it, there's heck to pay. :cool2:

There are so many soapers whose swirls are awesome! Everyone could post their ideas & tips!

I dont think there is a RIGHT WAY to swirl.. I was taught to swirl after i poured my soap in the mold, nope that didnt work, then i tried swirling in the bowl, nope that didnt work for me, then i tryed using both hands and pouring at the same time into the mold, Walllllla! Thats the only way i can get a decent swirl!!

Brenda (along with others) do make some beautiful soap but I have found when ones start comparing their product to others or trying to make your soap look like so and so, there is nothing but disappointment and frustration.

The soap you (we) make are not "Brenda's Soaps" ( not picking on you Brenda's but she used you as an example) or who ever's, they are YOUR soaps.

Soap coloring is an art and we all know that no two artist have the same finished product.

IMO there is no "perfect" swirl and it is difficult to duplicate swirls from one batch to another which I am sure Brenda can attest to that.

Will you post a pic of your soap that you swirl by adding both soaps at once, so I can see what that looks like? Shutterbug???

Wow had to go way back and find these, i havent soaped in a while, everything is packed up and im going nuts...

Here are some of mine

MVC-035S.jpg

JMC log

MVC-038S.jpg

JMC cut

Because I really have not swirled before when soap making in a long short mold, I just wanted an idea....I just wanted a tip or so from ANYONE...to tell me what works for them.

I don't want to COPY anyone's soap swirling!!

I just want some tips from people on what worked for them.

I understand it's trial and error when soap swirling and every batch doesn't work out perfectly every time due to FO's and different oils, but these message boards are for questions, tips and tricks and that's just why I asked.

Nicely done Shutterbug! I love those colors!!!!

Thanks for the picture! My mold is quite similar, and I was going to make a longer, shorter one like the plastic ones you buy with the dividers in them (although I wasn't going to make dividers, that would just be too difficult!)

Last night I made a 4 lbs soap mold in the garage.....Man it's fun!

It's not professional by any means, but it works for me, and as long as the soap looks good in the end is all that I care about! LOL

Thanks again Shutterbug!

:highfive:

Because I really have not swirled before when soap making in a long short mold, I just wanted an idea....I just wanted a tip or so from ANYONE...to tell me what works for them.

I don't want to COPY anyone's soap swirling!!

I just want some tips from people on what worked for them.

I understand it's trial and error when soap swirling and every batch doesn't work out perfectly every time due to FO's and different oils, but these message boards are for questions, tips and tricks and that's just why I asked.

I know from experience when I first started making soap that it was frustrating and disappointing when I compared my soap to others or tried to make my soaps look like others. And to this day, I hear the same from many soapers.

My point was to encourage ones to continue and let their own creative juice's flow.

For all the newbies - yes it's fine to get tips and hints but don't get frustrated when your end results are not the same as someone else's.

Swirling is kind of hit or miss and what works for one doesn't work for others. You can do an in the pot swirl by taking out some raw soap, coloring it, then pouring it 2-3 times back into the main soap, then pour THAT into your mold, use a knife or something to swirl. You can do it in the mold, but it's kind of difficult doing that in a log mold. I have better success using a kelsei slab mold, swirl in the mold and the dividers help pull down the swirls too. You are just going to have to experiement to see what works best for you

I completely agree.......it has been frustrating when I tried to swirl in my regular molds. I thought I had swirled from top to bottom, then I cut the soap and it's not even swirled halfway down!

I think sometimes possibly I overmix the soap and let it saponify too much before adding it to the mold because I'm worried that it will be too runny and not saponified enough!

Here's my latest one. My intention was to make the color of the swirl very subtle but it just isn't swirled throughout!

Lavender Essential Oil Soap

lavendernobudssmall0go.jpg

I need that playing on a video screen when I do my coloring lol! I just keep plugging away at it and hope it will turn out some day, but agree it would be fun to get the swirling technique down. Guess that means I would have to make soap more often :tongue2:

I need that playing on a video screen when I do my coloring lol! I just keep plugging away at it and hope it will turn out some day, but agree it would be fun to get the swirling technique down. Guess that means I would have to make soap more often :tongue2:

Yep, that's what it means Julie.....we wanna see more soaping pics. :yay:

Don't worry, I can't swirl well to save my life, yours look better than mine do, LOL!

I personally find ITP (in the pot) swirls to be fun and rewarding. You get swirls like this:

CranSpi007.jpg

They are different in appearance from ITM swirls, but have a nice look IMO. To do this, just dump your swirled portion from up high into the main batter in about 3-4 spots in the pot. Then pour the soap batter into the mold and swirl with your pouring hand a bit while you're pouring.

clayswirl005.jpg

AJ, I just noticed your soaps (dah!) and gosh, they are also just absolutely gorgeous! You girls are master swirlers. I am going to try the pot method you described next time... it's lovely. I always do my swirling in the mold -- works great but I love to try new methods. I first pour about 1/4 of the paler color in the mold, then 1/4 of darker color, and so on, then take a cake frosting knife and swirl gently.

Liz D.

• 3 months later...
I personally find ITP (in the pot) swirls to be fun and rewarding. You get swirls like this:

CranSpi007.jpg

They are different in appearance from ITM swirls, but have a nice look IMO. To do this, just dump your swirled portion from up high into the main batter in about 3-4 spots in the pot. Then pour the soap batter into the mold and swirl with your pouring hand a bit while you're pouring.

clayswirl005.jpg

i just made a thread about swirl (before i searched) and i will try the in the pot with less color like you said.

your swirls are to die for i hhope i can get mine close to that thanks