May be stupid question, but......

when you use a presto pot for melting wax, how do you "measure" how much you're using when transferring to a pour pot? :confused:

I recently purchased a pot at a garage sale ($5) and haven't used it as of yet b/c I can't figure this out. :rolleyes:

So, you would have to lift up the pot right? I mean to get the spigot up high enough?

I don't have a spigot on mine, but I have a feeling I'm not gonna like the mess of using a ladel/measuring cup, and gonna have to have a spigot on it some time soon. ;)

Thanks, I knew it was a stupid question, but just had to ask, since I think I've got brain mush lately. LOL

I'm blaming it on the fact that I've had a million an one things going on all at once-we got new flooring throughout the house, so I've been trying to get the house back together (never realized just how much crap I had in this house!! :eek: ) school started for my middle daughter today, and school starts for my youngest (yep, my baby is going to kindergarten :( ), so we had school shopping etc., plus our truck took a crap, so that's been in the shop, and a million other emotional things also.

Thanks!

If im melting a small amount for ex. 1 or 2 pounds , i weigh out the solid wax pieces on my scale, then melt it and pour it all into my pour pot. If im doing large amounts, I just put my pour pot on my scare, tare it, then ladle in and weigh the melted wax. ladling is alot less messy then you think, just hold the pour pot over the presto and weigh every few scoops, you get used to knowing about how many scoops you need after a while.

If you have the "tare" feature on your scale, you put an empty pour pot on your scale and hit the "tare" button. When you take the pour pot off, you will see the scale go to -8.6 or -10.2 (whatever your pot weight) so you are actually only getting the weight of your wax when you put your wax in. As for the spigot question. If you have a spigot on your presto, put the presto near the edge of your countertop space and put the pour pot underneath it. You should only have to lift up your pour pot if you have wax that is below the spigot. As for ladeling--it's not so bad...and you do get used to it.

Ok, so it looks like I need to get a new scale, since I'm pretty sure that mine does NOT have this tare feature. :undecided

I know that I CAN tare it when the item is on there, but I'm pretty sure when I take it off, it goes back to zero. :undecided

I swear everytime I think I'm saving a little money (my $5 garage sale presto pot) I've gotta spend more and more money. :rolleyes2

Thanks for the help and answers everyone.

I melt the wax in my presto but weigh and scent in another container. I have spouts on my presto pots but never use it. I use a metal ladle to ladle the melted wax out into the container that I use to weigh and scent in. This method works best for me.

No, Michi don't go buy another scale! I have a tare feature, but when I tried it before, it didn't seem to give me a correct reading when I put it back on, so I don't use it. Before I pour the wax in the pot, I weigh the pour pot. A small pot weighs about 5.3 or 5.4 ounces. So let's say I'm weighing out a pound of wax, the total that my scale should read would be 1 lb., 5.3 oz. And I actually have to lift up the presto itself to pour into the pour pot - I can't put the pour pot underneath the spigot.

But be careful, in my opinion it takes a little practice & getting used to. When I 1st started doing it this way, the wax was coming out of the presto too fast, my scale wasn't catching up quickly enough, and I ended up pouring more wax than I wanted, which would throw my ratios off.

FYI: Don't pick up the presto and attempt to pour the melted wax into your pour pot. Yep, I did that when I was a newbie. (Not saying you are a newbie.) Lets just say I was scraping wax off of the counters and floor for a long time.:rolleyes2

You will love your presto.

Thanks Angela, that is a much better idea than buying a new scale. ;)

yep, I've had that problem with weighing FO's and such, it seems it takes a few seconds at times for my scale to catch up to what's actually being weighed. :rolleyes2

I can just imagine how easy it would be to be pouring away from your spigoted pot and then realize you've gotten a bit too much. :eek:

Thanks for the help everyone, now If I can just find some time to make some candles........ ;)

FYI: Don't pick up the presto and attempt to pour the melted wax into your pour pot. Yep, I did that when I was a newbie. (Not saying you are a newbie.) Lets just say I was scraping wax off of the counters and floor for a long time.:rolleyes2

Having a spigot makes it a lot easier. I just don't have a way of leaving the presto where it is & putting a pour pot underneath. My left arm has gotten a bit stronger from doing this :D

Having a spigot makes it a lot easier. I just don't have a way of leaving the presto where it is & putting a pour pot underneath. My left arm has gotten a bit stronger from doing this :D

I have spigots now. Don't know how I'd survive without them. LOL

I do really small batches and so I use a glass measuring cup as a ladle. I put my scale (which is inside a plastic food storage bag) next to my Presto, put the pour pot on the scale and tare out the weight. Then I use the measuring cup to ladle to wax into my pourpot until I get the right amount of wax in there. It's not too messy since my scale is right beside my pot.

Here's a way totally different from everyone else's...

When I 1st get a mold, I coat the inside w/ vegetable oil, wiping out the excess, pour plain, melted wax into the mold & top off as if I were making a candle. When the wax is solid, I remove it from the mold & weigh it. I then make a note of the amt of wax that particular mold can hold. I know some vendors will include the amt of wax a mold will hold, but I've found there are some inaccuracies.

When I'm ready to actually make a candle, I know the maximum amt of wax to use, & just weigh out that much wax on my scale (or just a little less), & then put it in my presto to melt. It's always my hope to end up w/ just the right amt of wax, but there's always some left over, especially since I usually add FO to the mix.

I'm still new enough at candle making that I make no more than 4 candles at a time, & that's only if I'm feeling particularly mentally sharp that day. Most the time, I just make 1 or 2 at a time.

When I 1st get a mold, I coat the inside w/ vegetable oil, wiping out the excess, pour plain, melted wax into the mold & top off as if I were making a candle. When the wax is solid, I remove it from the mold & weigh it. I then make a note of the amt of wax that particular mold can hold. I know some vendors will include the amt of wax a mold will hold, but I've found there are some inaccuracies.

When I'm ready to actually make a candle, I know the maximum amt of wax to use, & just weigh out that much wax on my scale (or just a little less), & then put it in my presto to melt. It's always my hope to end up w/ just the right amt of wax, but there's always some left over, especially since I usually add FO to the mix.

How do you figure out your ratio(s) with this method?

How do you figure out your ratio(s) with this method?

I'm sorry, your question is a little unclear to me. Would you please rephrase? What I can I say, it's Friday & it's after 10 pm. I think I'm entitled to be totally stupid now. :rolleyes2 ;):D

That's a lot more work than you really have to go through. Just weigh water in place of the wax and multiply by .86. If you want to add a fudge factor to make sure you have a little more wax than you need, multiply by a slightly larger number like .88 or .90.

For a regularly shaped mold you can even calculate according to the dimensions. There are some calculators at http://www.candletech.com/calculator/. You might want to use the dimensions of the finished candle though. For instance, if you're using a 3x4.5 mold to make a 3x4 candle, then calculate based on 3x4 and add a little fudge factor.

That's a lot more work than you really have to go through. Just weigh water in place of the wax and multiply by .86. If you want to add a fudge factor to make sure you have a little more wax than you need, multiply by a slightly larger number like .88 or .90.

Yeah, I know ... too much math! What can be easier than melting, pouring, waiting, weighing & making a note? See, no calculator required!!! :P