May be stupid question, but......

Hmm... clicking on a link, typing in 3 numbers, clicking calculate button... sounds much easier to me ;)

lol. That's so very true. However, I've had multiple experiences where I wasn't getting the right amt of wax (can't remember if it was over or under) when using the calculator (& I double tripled checked to make sure I was plugging in the correct numbers), which is why I finally decided to pour wax into every mold I have. That way I can be SURE. Furthermore, the calculator isn't at all helpful for odd-shaped molds like hexagons, hearts, etc.

lol. That's so very true. However, I've had multiple experiences where I wasn't getting the right amt of wax (can't remember if it was over or under) when using the calculator (& I double tripled checked to make sure I was plugging in the correct numbers), which is why I finally decided to pour wax into every mold I have. That way I can be SURE. Furthermore, the calculator isn't at all helpful for odd-shaped molds like hexagons, hearts, etc.

I just calculate the amount of wax, weigh it, melt it, and it works perfectly. For a while now I've had a 5% fudge factor built in to avoid the frustration of being short a few drops of repour wax or something. I've been meaning to trim that down to 2 or 3% because I always end up with most of my fudge factor wax being left over.

Odd shaped molds are no problem as long as you can get them to hold water. The density of water vs. wax is pretty consistent, so just weigh the water and multiply by .86 like I mentioned earlier.

Can't agree more! Volume x .86 will work every time. My fudge factor is down to just about zero. I use volume x .8. Works every time. This is not rocket science; just simple math.

e

I just calculate the amount of wax, weigh it, melt it, and it works perfectly. For a while now I've had a 5% fudge factor built in to avoid the frustration of being short a few drops of repour wax or something. I've been meaning to trim that down to 2 or 3% because I always end up with most of my fudge factor wax being left over.

Odd shaped molds are no problem as long as you can get them to hold water. The density of water vs. wax is pretty consistent, so just weigh the water and multiply by .86 like I mentioned earlier.

Oh my! It seems a dead horse is being flogged. :P LOL

I would say (only cuz I just have to) do whatever works best for you even if others have an easier way. Its your candle, your product, your effort. But it ain't rocket science. :wink2:

This thread is cracking me up! :P

Oh my! It seems a dead horse is being flogged. :P LOL

I would say (only cuz I just have to) do whatever works best for you even if others have an easier way. Its your candle, your product, your effort. But it ain't rocket science. :wink2:

This thread is cracking me up! :P

me too I went to bed dreaming about spigots and scales want a nightmare

:laugh2:

I hope you guys took notes so this doesn't come up again

I have a spigot on all of my presto pots and personally can't imagine life without one. My son came up with an incrediable idea for my presto pot and scale all in one. He placed my scale on a lazy susan then he put a thin piece of plexi -glass over the scale to protect it from wax and heat (or what ever else I could possibly spill on it) then he put my presto pot on the top of that so now the entire unit is all in one and it swivels. With the tare feature on my flat scale I weigh my wax prior to melting it and then swivel my spigot around to my pour pitcher and bam I'm in business. I Think he'll be an engineer just like his father.