Ecosoya CB Advanced...

It really is some nice wax. Last night I loaded a candle up with losts creme brulee scent and butterscotch color to see if it would frost. It still didn't frost at all! It is very shiney on the top. I also poured at 115 degrees. I don't have one wet spot. I think I will switch to this one now. The only thing to check now is scent throw. This is hard because I can't smell anything after making so many candles last night. Terrie where is BCS? I get mine at Candlescience, but I am always looking for a better price.

Jeana, just so you know - if you got yours at CandleScience - then you got the OLD version. BCN and BCS have the new one. (Don't worry about it - the old one IMHO is a great wax).

I'm going to be pouring the old with the new (again) this weekend to test - yet again :)

Regarding the wetspots ---- it finally happened after all this time. :-( Still pretty good after all this time. With regular soy I got wetspots almost overnight - this stuff takes a couple weeks, at least in this weather.

Regarding the wetspots ---- it finally happened after all this time. :-( Still pretty good after all this time. With regular soy I got wetspots almost overnight - this stuff takes a couple weeks, at least in this weather.

Isn't Advanced the one that's supposed to release from the container? I have the info sheet right in front of me but maybe that's what they changed between old and new...?

Jeana, just so you know - if you got yours at CandleScience - then you got the OLD version. BCN and BCS have the new one. (Don't worry about it - the old one IMHO is a great wax).

I'm going to be pouring the old with the new (again) this weekend to test - yet again :)

What is the difference between the old and the new? It has only been a couple of months since I bought this batch, if it was a good product why do they change it? How do you know which company has old or new?

My new stuff wasn't pulling away from the sides at all - therefore, no wetspots (stayed that way for at least three weeks). Now if it continues to uniformly pull away - great. I read that the formula was changed to make the oil in the wax more open - to increase scent throw, and that it is supposed to contract. (Would be great if it was like J300).

As far as who has what version, you have to ask unless its on their website (BCN had it since mid-July. The site is not updated to show it but the shopping system is. Click the shopping cart, then waxes, then pick it from the drop down list - you can read a description there also). Candle Science has always carried it so it was on their website - but I called to see what they had in stock and what they where shipping :) Like I mentioned, you should be able to tell the difference once you've had both. I noticed right away that the new flakes are much more oily in feel - so they changed something.

From what I understand the old new advanced had "carefully selected botanical oils" added and the new forumla is 100% soy.

I have tried the older one - and can Not get a hot throw to save my life. I have the new formula (sample) on order to test.

I Love the look of the finished candle - but if I can't get a decent throw - eeekkk.

When I tried to increase the amount of FO to anything over about 5% I got seepage when the candle was placed in a warm location. When the candle was again put into a cooler area the droplets were reabsorbed back into the wax.

But even at 7% (1oz per pound of wax) I can get no hot throw - even with super strong FO's.

Henry,

did you say you have tested with the new advanced, or only the old version? Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I just called CS and they said the new version is due today for them. I asked what the difference was. He said the manufacturer has refined their formula to not contain any botainicals, and it is only 100% soy now, but still with the no frosting quality. I guess we will still be able to get both versions, which is good because I was thinking I was doing a bunch of testing on something that won't be available later.

So do you see any differences between the old and new?

Per my other post at http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892 I am getting some caves around the wick. I had very little of the old version left (probably about a pound) since I was waiting for this new version to come out. The last time I really worked with this wax our temp/humidity was no where like it is now. So, I ordered more of the old (actually got it today). Now what I'll do is pour more candles at our current high temp/humidity with both the old and the new and see exactly what happens. I'm just concerned about the caves around the wicks because I'm lazy and don't want to poke or repour - never had to with this or my other soys before, so got spoiled - plus I do it enough will pillars :)

I doubt Eco will keep both versions on the market though. If it turns out I have to repour, then I will. FO throw, for me at least, is secondary to a good burn and no frost (I know, most people don't feel that way).

But what if you end up liking the old one and they stop carrying it?

I find that if I pour at a super low temp (115 -120) I get beautiful tops, and no caves. I also realized that letting my containers cool on my tile counter wasn't the best idea. I started putting a rubber mat down to let them cool on (about 1" thick). They cool slower, which I believe helps with wetspots and shrinking.

My thing is that I can't get this wax to put out any scent. I used over 10 percent this time. Although I may not be the best judge of this right now. I'll have to get some other opinions before I can say that for sure.

Well, I'm going to look at soy/paraffin blends too.

I poured a couple with the old and the new CBA today. Tomorrow, I'm going to do the same with IGI 6006. Eventually I'll also try 6098 and 6095. I used the KY Parasoy last year and I loved the way it colored and looked. I only bought a sample, then went back to the regular KY soy after that. It was back in the days when I wanted to use all soy in containers. Nowadays I don't feel that way so thats why I'm in the wax-trying stage again.

Funny thing, the wax came, and it was so hot when it arrived it was actually clumping together and felt just as oily as the new stuff! :rolleyes2 I was told by multiple folks that its the old stuff though. I can tell you that the old has much larger flakes than the new. The new's flakes are much more uniform in size also. This is just what I see between my stuff that I have right now - thats not a iron-clad rule I guess depending upon how its processed.

I did try to insulate the new ones I poured before - it didn't make a big difference. What did was shutting off my air-conditioners, but thats not an option when its been in the 90s for weeks on end. The coolest I poured was 130. I'll try pouring lower and see what happens I guess, but I really just want to heat to 175, add FO/dye, stir, and pour at 165 - which is where my wax usually winds up at. Whatever wax can do that for me and look good, burn well, and smell at halfway decent if I use FO, then thats what I'll probably end up using.

I have been waiting for your comparison results. If a glossy top is "doable" at 115 degrees pouring - guess I will have to try that too. Arrrrgh!! The awful humidity is unbearable here - can't attempt any candles. The other day I did find an FO that I did at 9% that did not need any cure time at all. Am still using the old version of the CB-ADV. But this batch is the 2nd order I rec'd. in mid-May. Wonder if there was a change from the Dec. batch .

I've been thinking of trying blends too (might be just a passing thought brought on by the humidity), have never made anything but soy so far----and that's only with your guidance , Henry...and an allelulia for this board too.

Later I will post pics, but to complicate things, I poured sets of old and new - NEITHER of them had caves this time! So, this got me thinking, is it the jars? When I last tested the old, I used my standard 7 oz. "Status" jars. I've been testing the new in 7 oz. "votivo-style" jars (you can see them in the other thread) where I had the cave ins. These jars are thicker and a bit more vertical. I thought, wouldn't it be something if it’s the darn jars? Therefore, this morning I poured another set of the old and new - in these jars. They are cooling now.

Finally, I poured yet another set (these were all with the same percent FO) with IGI 6006. I have a slight dip at the wick in my status jars, BUT, the cold throw is IMHO MUCH stronger (even at this early stage) and the wax is so much whiter and it cut effortlessly with a knife. So far I like the 6006, but I really need to use it more. I like to do dark colors for fall/winter like last year, so I'm looking back into para/veg blends.

I did not color any of the containers, so I don't know how the 6006 will take color. It seems opaque, but the other para/veg wax I used (KY Parasoy) colored much deeper than regular soys I've used (just because there is some paraffin in it would mean that it has to be less opaque than straight soy).

Every container wax was poured at ~165F (the temp the waxes are right after adding FO after heating to 175).

Post of the top of a 6006. That hole needs a repour. Not much. Its at about an inch deep. You can probably heat gun it I guess, but ... I'll post about the other jar types later. The 6006 is definately stronger in cold throw than either CBA IMO.

post-98-139458377288_thumb.jpg

Henry

I am finding that the wider and deeper the jar/container, the more likely I am to get sinking. My smaller jars that I only fill 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up for testing, do not sink. If I fill them all the way up, some of them do a bit. Probably accounts for me not having too much trouble with votives. Just a thought, sorry to butt in on the thread. :)

I do fill mine up as much as to the point where I can still get the lid on. As far as the votivo-type (tumbler) containers mentioned earlier - same thing this time. Hole by the wick of the new, but not in the old. And again, better throw with the new than the old. The CBA new, old, and 6006 I'm finding all have their good points, so its all in what features are important to someone.

I JUST recieved yesterday a sample of the new. I have 50# (eeekkk) of the old and will need to figure out what to do with it.

Are you getting ANY hot throw from either of these? If so what FO's and at what percantage. I have gone all the way to 7% (with seeping on the tops) and still no real hot throw.

Has anyone tried adding vybar - if so does it help?

I LOVE the look of these finished candles - but really really need some help with Throw.

I have tried WYW (as these FO's are suppose to be super concentrated) and regular scents that have worked for me in reg 100% Soy. Nothing is working. I have some candles that are at least 2 weeks old and curing doesn't seem to help either.

I keep mentioning cold throw because that is really what I've been going on. If you have say, WYW's Hibiscus & Thai Palm. Pour one of the old and one of the new even at just 4%. Or say, KY's Sugar Cookie. You should immediately see the cold throw on the new is stronger after it sets up.

I'll try to burn some of each after I finish some other testing as I've got too many things going on right now - for health reasons in my small place I can't burn tons of things at once :) My concern was trying to get it to be a one-pour, but I know some other folks have the new stuff, perhaps they can chime in?

Sorry I can't be more help on that point ...

Thanks for the fast reply HenryK - I am anxious to see what kind of Hot throw you get with this (either one of the Advanced) wax.

It will not help me to have a fantastic looking candle if I can't get a hot throw:sad2: .