Banana Split

NattyCat

Here's my first ever banana split candle. Cherry needs to be darker but it was the first one I managed to get a wick through without it splitting in half!

Not sure what the second candle is, I used a cake mould and scented it with Strawberry Shortcake - not really sure how to advertise it for sale so need to come up with a name!

http://www.size-plus.co.uk/Scentopia/Banana1.jpg

http://www.size-plus.co.uk/Scentopia/strawberry%20shortcake%201.JPG

http://www.size-plus.co.uk/Scentopia/strawberry%20shortcake%202.JPG

All made from EcoSoy Pillar Blend.

Yes, I agree it needs more colour but I was wondering how to do it.

I originally just had 3 scoops of ice cream but the whole thing looked very hard edged and unreal. Trying to keep the bananas in place was also impossible so I whipped up the cream and splodged that on - that helped keep the raspberrys in place too.

If there is no cream, then the whole lot just slides around in the glass dish. The cream completely covers the smaller of the two icecream scoops, so you can really only see the centre scoop.

I added the raspberries and chocolate sauce...any suggestions on how to add more colour - especially as the cream really needs to be there.

Nat

I would suggest making all your scoops the size of the middle one. Then color all of them, whatever flavor colors you are going to use. (ie: chocolate = brown, strawberry = pink, and vanilla = vanilla) That way your cream will be the only white you have and everything will stand out more. ;) hth

I think the idea of coloring the ice cream scoops, and making them all the same size as the middle one is a great idea! The second one is extremely mouth watering! I LOVE it! That wax looks so creamy! How does it burn for you? Did you make the embeds with that same wax? I love those whipped cream rosettes, did you make those or buy them? Great job!

I think for your first try you did a darn good job! Your ice cream looks more realistic than some other banana split candles I have seen done by long time chandlers :D Keep up the good work! If it looks this good now I can imagine how great it will look when you do use more color :wink2:

GOOD JOB!

Very cute, Nattycat! I'll bet you worked really hard!

I took up candlemaking when I was a teenager, and some of my very first candles were whipped wax ice cream sundaes. Mom was such a trooper -- let me use her mixer and her ice cream scoop. LOL

Your candles bring back good memories for me! :) Good job!

By & large those look great. Looks like you have the technique down pat, especially on the icing on the little bundt cake.

I noticed on your banana split that the color for the strawberries, cherry, & raspberries are the same. I think I would like it better if you had different reds. On the other hand, if they're the same color in real life, don't chagne a thing! Your chocolate drizzle looks perfect.

That split looks great, just the way i like it. I allways have just vanilla ice cream put on mine cause im not crazy about the chocolate and strawberies, but for realistic purposes id go with the right colors for more apeal. Everything looks very real looking so great job. Lin

Hi All,

Thanks for your lovely comments and useful tips.

I think my dishes may be too small as I can only fit one large and two small scoops in the dish, I can't get 3 large ones in there, otherwise the bananas don't have any room.

In answer to someone's question - it's ALL Soy Wax, and I made all the embeds myself with soywax and molds. At the moment it has one wick as when it burns, the high sloped sides of the dish push the wax towards the wick so it sort of hugs itself. To get the wax at the base of the candle I'm going to need to triple wick - but that's for another time!

As far as colouring the ice-cream scoops, I'm not sure that would be worthwhile - When I just have ice cream sat in the dish,they slide around, hence the whipped cream wax, which sticks it all together - you can't see the other two scoops of ice-cream at all.

So I was thinking, perhaps I should put some colour on it in the form of pinapple chunks and I do need to change the colours of the cherries, strawberries and raspberries - i poured them all from the same wax as it was only a test on my first one.

I'm stuck with the dishes I've got at the moment - it's been a nightmare trying to find them and I've got 25 to go through before I can investigate some wider ones!

Loving the photos of other people's splits - really good and I hope mine looks like that someday!

Nat

BTW, the strawberry shortcake candle isn't "a little bundt cake" - its huge, it weighs about 3lbs - LOL I used a real size cake mold for it just to "see" what I could do - if anyone buys it they'll get a hernia lifting it, and it'll need multi wicking! The cream splodges on top are once again, molded and the drizzle is a ready-made icing I buy off ebay!