burning a 4-month-old candle

I use soy wax with a bit of BW. I decided to burn one of the candles that I use as a tester (for sniffing). I made this candle in November. It has been stored in a warm enough place and has never been exposed to freezing temperatures. When I burned it, it left a half-inch hang up all around! My burn was long enough, so that wasn't the problem. When I got home I burned it again and the wick was drowning! :angry2: I test each new lot of soy wax that I get.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Did the problem have anything to do with storing the wax in a really cold place though? This is getting frustrating. :undecided Although I test burn each new lot, it wouldn't be cost effective to test each scent everytime!

I've tested other older candles -- some almost a year old-- that burned fine. It was just this one particular scent that tunnelled then drowned.

Did the problem have anything to do with storing the wax in a really cold place though? This is getting frustrating. :undecided Although I test burn each new lot, it wouldn't be cost effective to test each scent everytime!

I've tested other older candles -- some almost a year old-- that burned fine. It was just this one particular scent that tunnelled then drowned.

This is one thing that I fear. What I don't understand is, if we test each new lot by testing a couple scents or so, and the scents or scent that we retest burns differently, then wouldn't we need to test each scent we carry? Because if that one or a few scents burned differently there is a big chance that they all will if it is due to the new wax lot. What do most of you do?

I have heard that as the candle (soy) sets the soy can become harder and this causes it to become harder to burn. But it may have been because the candle was in a colder environment -- can't remember. I think I do remember though that some people notice as the candle ages it seems to become harder (more dense?). I have not experienced this yet so I really do not know.

I have seen this. I tested a soy blend from Calumet in the summer. It was all good. Then I poured them for a fall fundraiser and sink holes were awful. I adjusted pour temp, nothing helped. The dealer said it was humidity related.

This is one thing that I fear. What I don't understand is, if we test each new lot by testing a couple scents or so, and the scents or scent that we retest burns differently, then wouldn't we need to test each scent we carry? Because if that one or a few scents burned differently there is a big chance that they all will if it is due to the new wax lot. What do most of you do?

I carry about 20 scents and I test 2-3 scents for each new lot of wax. Someone suggested testing a normal scent and a heavy one. For each new lot that I got, the scents I tested burned pretty much the same.

If this is all weather-related, then there's only so much we can do. If someone comes back to return a candle, then I guess I have no choice but to take it back. :embarasse

Thanks for everyone's replies!

I can't say for certain, but I think this is another manifestation of the inherent instability of soy waxes. The crystal structure changes over time. The way the wax sets up and how the crystal structure subsequently develops can be greatly affected by the fragrance oil. I suspect this problem is related to a specific FO, in the same sense that a particular FO could cause more frost immediately or over time than another.

Things like this recently influenced me to cancel my plans to include an all-vegetable candle line. To ensure the level of quality I'm aiming for with my products, I concluded it would be prudent to do a 3 month test on any fragrance oil before introducing it to the line, to see how the aesthetics and wicking might change. I just don't want to deal with that.

Did you allow the "in storage" candle come up to room temperature before burning it? If your wax/container was cold and/or you burn it a cold environment, it won't get as large as a melt pool of a candle that is completely up to room temperature. If on the second burn the candle wax and container warmed up to room temperature, the melt pool would be larger which in turn would melt the tunnel wall drowning out the wick. Just a theory that might explain what happened. I would test it out by getting another candle from the same storage area, letting in warm up entirely, then do you normal test burn. HTH

Oh the joy's of soy. :wink2:

Soy properties do change over time in any environment. Anything you add heat to and other components will change over time if it's natural. (even if it's been "stabilized"- it can change) The composition has been altered, and will keep changing with as time passes. I would suggest trying another candle out of this lot to test burn. Being that its only been there for 4 months. It should have not changed that quickly. Beeswax can be a strange animal in soy- thats one of the reasons I quit it in my applications. Soy is wierd enough... LMAO! I had candles in my early testing stages that appeared to be growing like mold on one side of the jar. Downright creepy, huh? This candle had no color, and a tried and tested FO. So I assumed it would be the optimal test vehicle. Guess again!

I have had candles, (still do) that have been exposed (torture tested) to various elements and burned a few without issues. Anywhere from 4 years old to the present. I have changed my formulations over the years, and I believe this can be overcome. The one key factor I have found is temperature. Not necessarily humidity. Soy does not like cold, no matter what you do to it.

Soy is evolving. I am almost certain there will never be a "fool proof" soy. Perhaps a blend, but not a true soy.

But it has come along way. I can remember picking out those nasty soy kernals out of my bags. Oh it was such a PITA!! It was almost equivalent to straining my wax before adding to the pot. Plus the color was always different. Its not like that now, and since soy is such a fad~ I am sure manufacturers will continue to strive for improvement with this wax.

Im sorry I can't give you an answer to what is going on with your candle. I used palm wax for my containers & awhile ago pulled a few "older" candles to burn. They did horribly even though the original wicking (which I tested numerous times) was perfect. I finally gave up on vegetable container wax. I found that it was way to unstable to get them wicked without waiting for 3,6,9 etc months to test each FO down the line (same as Top was saying) I would think that soy would probably behave the same way :undecided

Scottopus, I did allow the stored candle to come up to room temperature before burning it. I am hoping it was just this particular FO that is causing the problem, but I know that's wishful thinking.

Mystical- I sure do hope that soy wax will keep improving. :D

Candleessence- I came across your thread about palm wax and was wondering if the same thing is happening to this soy wax. I am considering testing yet another wax.

Thanks for your replies.