EVO colors

I'm really liking this color line so I wanted try to post a picture of it. It doesn't frost. But I sure do get the wets spots as you can see.

hold on I have to resize it:) woohoo it worked!!

Oh, I just started testing this jar, so there's no wick. It is scented Apples N Oak

post-484-139458397041_thumb.jpg

I'm really liking this color line so I wanted try to post a picture of it. It doesn't frost. But I sure do get the wets spots as you can see.

hold on I have to resize it:) woohoo it worked!!

I can't see the wet spots in the photo but it sure does look like it set up pretty.

Actually the picture doesn't show how rich the color really is. This is a 16oz container and I only used about 10 drops of burgundy and 2 drops of brown. And there is absolutely no stinky color smell.

thanks TOP...I'm trying to decide between these and those new pryme dyes. I ran a couple searches for the EVO's and I saw that candlewic (sp) had them, but it looks like they are just bottles not the kind with droppers or squirt tops. what do you guys who use liquid dyes do--transfer to other bottles when you get them? I had always been leary of using liquid because I use 100% soy, but after reading the good results here I think it's time to try something new (again..lol)

thanks TOP...I'm trying to decide between these and those new pryme dyes. I ran a couple searches for the EVO's and I saw that candlewic (sp) had them, but it looks like they are just bottles not the kind with droppers or squirt tops. what do you guys who use liquid dyes do--transfer to other bottles when you get them? I had always been leary of using liquid because I use 100% soy, but after reading the good results here I think it's time to try something new (again..lol)
Offhand I think I'd go for the plastic bottles and transfer them. You can get glass bottles and droppers from Candlechem. http://stores.ebay.com/CANDLECHEM-COMPANY

The concern about liquid dyes is those nasty solvents that people and soybeans hate so much, but these don't have them.

Hi Jeana,

That candle looks beautiful! The color is gorgeous. I have used Just By Nature's dye which is a non-stinking kind, and I have loved them. I also at times use the Pryme but they still have a little smell out of the bottle. I wonder how the EVO differs from Just By Nature's non-stinking kind? I will have to check on it. Thanks for sharing. :)

where do you get those (EVO) dyes from? I've been using chips and while they work good sometimes I am getting tired of the same muted bowns, beige, red, orange etc... thanks

Saw where Greenleaf is carrying them, but they are not on their website yet, you have to call.

In my opinion these are much better than pryme colors. I have to use much more pryme to get this dark of a color than the EVOs, then I get frosting. Plus a major selling point to me is that they are not tested on animals. There are other good things about them too. Here is what Candlewic says about them on their website.

EVO dyes have a pleasant, mild scent and compatible with most waxes including paraffin, soy, palm, gels and blended waxes. They do not contain hazardous solvents or additives such as naphtha or naphthalene. Flash point of this coloring is over 203°F. EVO dyes are never tested on animals and NO EVO INGREDIENTS are on the California Prop 65 list of cancer causing ingredients.

It is a drawback that they don't come with droppers. I have been able to round some up, but I will need to buy more droppers. Maybe the larger sizes have the squeeze tops or something easier. And also the other suppliers carrying them now may have different containers. Prymes are really messy too.

Another place that sells EVO dyes is Just by Nature, but they are much more expensive than Candlewic.

Oh, I did not realize that the Just by Nature dyes were "EVO". I have been using these for a long time and have always loved them. I have wondered why there were not many on the board that talked about them. I think they are great. So, the ones at Candlewic are the same as Just by Nature's? Thanks for the input.

~Holly

Another place that sells EVO dyes is Just by Nature, but they are much more expensive than Candlewic.

I premix my EVO color and put them into dropper bottles.

0001-11.jpg

Where do you get these bottles from? Thanks for pointing out JBN is the same color line. What do you mean you mean you premix the colors? You mean you are mixing several of their colors to customize your own, right?

Anyone know if these the same dyes at Northstar?

http://www.northstar3c.com/cgi-bin/shop2/cp-app.cgi?usr=51H7501027&rnd=8423314&rrc=N&affl=&cip=208.29.0.154&act=&aff=&pg=cat&ref=eco_dye&catstr=HOME:8

This is what I use - I LOVE these dyes! But his color selection is limited- if these are the same dyes elsewhere, I would be so happy. :D

The ones from Northstar are pretty thick, I don't know if they would work this the dropper in the plastic bottles. He ships them out in glass bottles with a dropper.

Wow! I wonder if they are. I'll have to call them to find out. I have used many of Northstar's too. I like them because they don't smell, but I didn't get the same results. They didn't seem as dark and I got a ton of frosting with Northstar's too, especially the browns. Although their purple is really good. Very interesting.

Not Scott, but ...

You can get those droppers at http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin21a.html

If you download Candlewic's PRINT catalog and look at the section for EVO dyes, the wording from JBN and them is nearly exactly the same.

I've used the following colors and can say that the:

Red, Blue, Green, Brown, and white have no smell at all.

Black and Yellow have a very light chemically smell.

Based on the above I think they are the same, however no one can be 100% sure of course.

I've not used the Northstar dyes, but the EVO and JBN dyes are indeed thicker than other liquids I've tried.

I am so glad I read this post. I've had the black and purple EVO colors from Candlewic for over a year and never used them because they didn't come with a dropper of any type. I have dropper bottles I can put them into, I just didn't know if they would be worth the time and the price of the dropper bottle to switch them:confused:, but now you can bet I'll be trying them out.

Where do you get these bottles from?

Thank you HenryK for answering correctly. I got the 1 oz (0001-12) size for SKS. I do have a couple left over and I guess I could sell you some if you want to try them out.

What do you mean you mean you premix the colors? You mean you are mixing several of their colors to customize your own, right?

Correct. This is how I do a custom color:

Get a couple of toothpicks and mark the toothpick in half with a pencil.

Shake up the colors I'm going to use.

Measure out a small amount of melted wax (100-150g) in a clear glass measuring cup.

Dip the toothpick into the dye to the mark.

Mix the melted wax with the dyed toothpick.

Pour a little bit of the wax out onto a piece of marble covered with wax paper.

It'll harden rather quickly giving you the finished color.

Keep adding colors using a new clean toothpick each time.

Be sure to record how many parts (1/2 toothpick) you use to get your custom color.

Now that you have how many "parts" of each color you need, I make the premix.

Here's a made up example (4 parts red, 2 parts green, 1 part yellow)

This means I have a total of 7 parts (4+2+1)

Since I know that a 1 oz bottle will hold up to 28, I divide 28/7 to get 4.

I multiply each color by 4 to get 16 grams of red, 8 grams of green, and 4 grams of yellow.

To keep it simple, use a number equal to 28 or less that will divide evenly into your total number of part such as 24 if you have 6 total parts or 25 if you have 5 total parts.

I label each bottle with the premix name and date made.

In my candle formula, I call out the number of premix drop per batch.

Hope that helps.

Holy cow that is quite the system you have there. I assume you are using a micro scale to weigh the colors, right? I have to invest in one of those soon.

I think for my droppers I will order some of the amber rounds with droppers. I have to put in an order for the larger rounds to store my essential oils in anyway. Thanks for the offer of buying the other little bottles though.

I measure my EVO dyes in grams as shown above-

16 grams of red, 8 grams of green, and 4 grams of yellow

My cheap $24 plastic scale that I got at bed, bath, and beyond with a coupon (20% off from the Sunday paper) was on its last leg.

B00006NW9Y.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I bought a scale that HenryK told me about. The KD-7000 Professional Digital Scale from save on scales.

banner_kd7000_digital_scale.gif

I think for my droppers I will order some of the amber rounds with droppers.

Using a glass dropper should work fine. I wanted something inexpensive that I could just throw away after it was empty.