Update to the Update to the Update to the palm wax problem.

Soja

OK, here are 2 poured at 218 degrees with preheated molds. Just like the bigger ones. These are with Aluminimum molds which I think make all the difference.

Tin just doesn't cut it but Alum. gives nice feathering.

Soja

post-1543-139458396661_thumb.jpg

OK, here are 2 poured at 218 degrees with preheated molds. Just like the bigger ones. These are with Aluminimum molds which I think make all the difference.

Tin just doesn't cut it but Alum. gives nice feathering.

Soja

I asked you during the last post if you were using aluminum or metal? I've read that aluminum works the best, but when asking people have also said they did well with metal. This is very intersting. I didn't think you were supposed to heat hotter than 210 degrees - at least that is what the palm wax I'm using says????? I have been preheating my molds.

To further test our theory, I poured into another tin mold with different capacity. It turned out the same as the other tin mold. :undecided

Conclusion:

In any tin mold I tried, I could not get the palm to take any other pattern but this one in the pic. Different shapes of mold and different temps/wrapped-not wrapped/pre-heated, not pre-heated... All gave the same pattern.

Alum. molds are a different story. They pattern all the way up and down with slight differences I'll attribute to different mold shapes.

Now I'm gonna try different Alum. molds... More later.

Soja

post-1543-139458397007_thumb.jpg

Help!!! My candles turn out beautifully every time - but I can't get the wick right. No luck with RRD 55, I tried 2/0 and even doubled them in the same hole. I thought that was going to work with the 55 but then it blew! So, I used everything else I have on hand which was the 44-24-18 and 51-32-18 No Luck!!! I read somewhere to try a #30 or #40 before I have to place another order for wicks could someone please give me some guidance?:embarasse I've posted on several boards and have not had 1 response. I could cry!!! Thanks BK

The ONLY wick I use is bulk LX wick. The bigger ones get LX28 as I go down in size, the wick goes down, 24,22,,, Etc. If my Motherinlaw lights one of my palms in the evening, after supper, I might have to trim it once during the rest of the night. I read in the old board, from the palm makers that LX worked so I tried it and I agree. I also use a wick pin so the wick is not pulled toward the side during drying. I get it at Candlescience because Peak does not have bulk LX, just pre-tabbed.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Soja

The ONLY wick I use is bulk LX wick. The bigger ones get LX28 as I go down in size, the wick goes down, 24,22,,, Etc. If my Motherinlaw lights one of my palms in the evening, after supper, I might have to trim it once during the rest of the night. I read in the old board, from the palm makers that LX worked so I tried it and I agree. I also use a wick pin so the wick is not pulled toward the side during drying. I get it at Candlescience because Peak does not have bulk LX, just pre-tabbed.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Soja

I agree. I've been using the LX28 in my palm pillar and it seems to be working really well (except the flame is too high for my tastes, but I guess that's just a small thing considering how well it's doing otherwise). I too use a wick pin and the bulk LX from Candlescience. Gotta love Candlescience!

• 3 years later...

Those are beautiful candles! I have not tried the feather palm in the metal molds, I have only used the crystal palm (I think that is what it is called!) They turned out pretty, but then you're not looking for a pattern like the starburst or feather.

I love the csn wicks in my palm pillars. I always get a really good burn. For a 3" candle, I use a csn 12. You can do a search about the csn and palm and find more info on it. Also, I do not get a big flame with the csn and palm pillars. It was a whole different story with csn's and containers. I did not care for the large flame and the mushrooms I was getting, so I switched to cd wicks. These worked the best for me.....thank you Jakalex for your help with these wicks! :yay:

bcgrayson, what problems are you having making nice palm pillars?

This is an OLD thread!!! :shocked2: Lovely candles but the conclusion that the mold composition affects the patterning is not really accurate. Pouring at 195-200°F produces nice crystal patterns, but for even distribution, one has to cool the candles slowly and evenly. I insulate mine (towel, bubble wrap, etc.) or cool in a 200°F preheated oven (turned off when the candles go in) or styrofoam cooler. When making votives, I put a slightly larger mold over the votive to keep it evenly warm. We pour palm wax into molds made from aluminum, tin, steel, plastic & polycarbonate. Each material retains/releases heat differently so heavier insulation for the materials which lose heat more quickly is the key. We use CDN wicks in all of our candles made with wickpins. In the 2 part art molds (plastic) we use square braid. HTH :)

HI!

I don't know how I found these old posts! This is the second one that I posted on that was over a year old! :(

I guess I just don't know how to use the site correctly! I am so sorry about that, BUT totally appreciate that you are taking the time to respond to me. Thanks so much!

Your information is greatly appreciated and I will again bring up my supplies and try again. I think my problem is that I don't work consistantly on candle making and that makes me forget what I have learned. It is like learning all over again every time.

Many many thanks!

Corey :cheesy2:

Corey, if you are not making them consistantly I would suggest taking really good notes (should anyway but in this case even more so). That way before you start working you can look back and review what worked or didn't work before.

I also vote for the LX series in palm pillars but for palm containers I prefer ECO wicks.

Awww, don't worry about it, Corey! Just check the date of the posts.

Get back on the bandwagon and make a batch of candles. If you have issues, take photos, post and hopefully we can help you with specific suggestions.

I sooo agree with taking good, detailed notes! Many of us cannot produce candles on a continuous basis, so knowing where we left off is vital! :)