presto pot lids

I know this is kind of a silly question, but those of you who use presto pots to melt your wax, do you keep the lid on while doing so? I'm asking because I know it's quite detrimental to the wax if water gets into it. I have always kept my lid on, but notice there is a moisture build up on the inner part of the lid. What do you all think?

Something I've found too is that if one finds the right temperature they want on the dial, and then puts the lid on for any length of time, it will increase the wax tems about 20* since it is holding in heat. The best thing to do is keep the lid off unless you are done using it, then replace the lid to keep dust and dirt out after the wax has cooled.

geek

question on presto pots. i'm thinking bout making them w/the spouts that is show on the basic instructions here. but i want one for soy & one for paraffin. how do you keep the spout from clogging when wax is off & you turn it back on. wouldn't the wax be hardened & then since the spout is extended from the pot how does the spout get hot to keep from clogging. or does everyone just dip out of the pot?

question on presto pots. i'm thinking bout making them w/the spouts that is show on the basic instructions here. but i want one for soy & one for paraffin. how do you keep the spout from clogging when wax is off & you turn it back on. wouldn't the wax be hardened & then since the spout is extended from the pot how does the spout get hot to keep from clogging. or does everyone just dip out of the pot?

Won't be a problem. I guarantee it. Once you use it, you'll see.

alhughes, the presto pot heats up so much that even if wax was left in the pouring spout area it will melt once you heat it up again. My handle gets so hot that I have to wear kitchen mitts to turn it on and off.

Oh just one more thing...my presto pot is several years old and just about a week ago, the green putty that was holding the spout in place came loose and it started to drip around the green stuff. Thought I would have to get a new presto pot, but my bf had this goop that he said should hold it. It's supposed to be strong enough to glue an engine block together or something like that...sorry am not at all familiar with that stuff. Don't know the name of the glue he used but it was black and gooey. Dried in about a couple of hours. It works like a charm and looks even better than the green putty like stuff. If you're interested, I'll ask him what it is. Good luck!

I'm using a new wax, and I had my first clog today. The first time I left the spout on for a few seconds and it cleared itself. The second time it didn't, so I used the heat gun to get it really hot, then it flowed fine.

I've always used my presto with the lid on. I keep it below warm though, so I don't get any moisture. My cats jump on the counters sometimes. The last thing I need is cats covered in hot wax. So I guess my lids will stay on still.

I use the spigots and I love them,,,I do not keep my wax in my presto pot,,the wax I dont use I put in empty and washed butter containers ONLY if there is a 5 in the triangle on the bottom of the Butter container. NOW if I have a Huge order I will keep the wax there. Never had a problem with clogging as the spigot is Brass and will heat up with the pot!! HTH:D

giedre11 that would be great, heaven knows i don't need any leaks. but far as leaving the wax in the pot i don't mind cleaning the soy out cause that is really easy to clean up but i'm sorry i was pulling my hair out this weekend trying to clean things out with paraffin(me bald what a sight):laugh2: i definately need to get some mold cleaner.

but thanks everyone for the input i can't wait to make them i think it would simplify everything.

Go and get some JB Weld...you can get it at Walmart, auto parts stores, hardware stores...its good for up to 600 degrees(well according to the package) Once this sets it will not leak(if you do it correctly) JB Weld will hold on a car radiator under pressure so I am sure it will work for your presto pot. Its what my man used on mine.:grin2: