Kitchenaid mixer

xsami3000x

I have decided to start saving for a mixer, and have been reading reviews on the kitchenaid artisan (325 watts, pretty colors), have you guys experienced any of the problems that amazon reviewers have?

Such as; the mixer bogging down or overheating? (That appears to be the breadmakers complaint and I don't think I'll be mixing anything that dense.)

Do you have a problem with the mixer not reaching the sides and bottom of the bowl, leaving unmixed ingredients that need to be hand mixed in? ( I think this would be a problem with things like body butters)

Any reviews or help, or suggestions on another mixer would be great.

Thanks so much,

Sami

I dont have a KitchenAId brand...but I wanted to offer another option. I didnt like the thought of throwning down a couple hundred bucks for a mixer....so I went to Wal Mart and got the Sunbeam brand that has the same attachments. It was only $80!

Yes this mixer does leave some ingredients on the side....but so does a KA. You have to scrape the bowl down. Whichever one you pick, you will not be sorry. Do not know how I would make my butters without it now.

I have the KA Artisan mixer and although I have not used it too much to date, I have mixed sugar cookie dough and chocolate chip cookie dough in it without any problems. I usually use it during the holidays. I will be using it more though when I start trying out body butter and whipped butters.

This stand mixer Kim is referring to is the BOMB! :grin2:

Its a low cost alternative to a KA. If your selling lotions, scrubs and butters~ a stand mixer is a must. The quality of your finished product will be so much smoother and creamier. I was impressed with this mixer for the cost.

KA sells on Ebay- I have seen brand new models NIB for 139.00 on there.

Just a thought, so its more money for supplies... LOL!!

My Sunbeam only has the dough hooks and the beaters. Are most of you finding that it's a must to have the whisk attachment for your mixers? I keep wondering if I'm missing out on something since I don't have them.

I use a KA and the whisk is a must for butters. Regular beater is best for lotion.

For lotions you need to use a SB for the first 5 minutes, the high shear mixing is critcal, then let the stand mixer do the work while your lotion cools.

OH CRAP! I am sorry. Mine is a GE Brand...it came with the whisk, beaters and hooks.

Jeff bought me the Sunbeam for my b-day last yr. I opened it the night Slow-burn got here and she told me I needed the whisk attachment so we took it back to Walmart and was going to get the 200.00 KA until we ran across the GE Mixer. LOVE IT!

Well I see this was a good topic to bring up!

Let's see if I got this right:

Stick blender - soap, lotions

hand mixer - lotions, scrubs, some butters

stand mixer - lotions, scrubs, butters, meringue, souffles, homemade cool whip (sorry got a little off track there)

I'm gonna check out the local bed bath and beyond and actually look at all the different models and options, then look online for cheaper pricing :grin2: And why oh why does that absolutely freakin gorgeous copper colored ka have to be 200 dollars more?!?!?!?

Thanks everybody,

Sami

Well I see this was a good topic to bring up!

Let's see if I got this right:

Stick blender - soap, lotions

hand mixer - lotions, scrubs, some butters

stand mixer - lotions, scrubs, butters, meringue, souffles, homemade cool whip (sorry got a little off track there)

Thanks everybody,

Sami

Hey, a good stand mixer is also a must for angel food cake...lol

I want the copper one too! But boy oh boy that's out of this chic's price range!

My Sunbeam only has the dough hooks and the beaters. Are most of you finding that it's a must to have the whisk attachment for your mixers? I keep wondering if I'm missing out on something since I don't have them.

Bumping this for Gerrie because I am just as curious.