What temp do you add your FO

ebarnes

I add at 120. I would think you could lose some FO if you add at higher temps. I figure, if you can smell it, then you're releasing it. But, how much is actually lost during the cool-down, who knows. I suppose it could be scientifically calculated by weight change during cool down.

Tony

I use Ecosoya - I heat to about 175, add FO at 165 and pour at 160.

I don't often lose scent adding at that temp and don't have to stir like you would pouring lower.

However, if I do ever get a poor cold or hot throw then I just don't test that particular FO again.

So, after that point I'll never know if I lost scent because I added/poured it hot OR if I wouldn't get the throw I want no matter what temp I add FO.

I'd rather use just FOs that work with my technique, rather than change my technique to fit the FO. Know what I mean?

I heat my wax to around 195-200 and then add my fragrance around 175-185. If you add it at too low of a temp, it may not incorporate fully into the wax. The FO really won't burn off unless you leave your wax on a high temp for a long period of time. Adding at the temps I do will not burn off your FO.

I use soy, add FO at 175-180. It seems to me that logically, fragrance burnoff is a myth. It takes approx 30 minutes for a 2 pound batch to cool from 180 to 100. When burning a candle, it burns for at least 3 hours at 130ish, so a relatively brief high temperature can't possibly burn off much. I usually add 1.1 instead of 1 ounce, just in case I'm wrong, because even if there is such a thing as burnoff, then I cannot possibly fathom it burning off more than .1 oz when I add it.

I heat to about 190 and add FO at 175-180.

Do you have trouble getting the FO to mix in when you add it as low as 120?

I haven't so far but this morning I poured a 16oz Pineapple (Peaks). I added the FO at 160, poured at 125 (ugly tops) and the cold throw is the bomb. Cant wait too burn it.

I have poured at 160 without problems, that's the lowest i'll go though. This is just from my own experience as to what works for me and what doesn't, i know that everyone has different experiences (and different waxes).

I am curious whether those who add at 120 have problems getting some FO's to mix in? And have you tried adding at higher temps and experienced an actual difference in the finished candles?

for soy i add fo at 170-175*. i don't see how the fo can bind with the wax at much lower temps.

for parafin, 180-190*, depending on the technique. you won't burn off the fo unless you keep it on high heat for a lengthy period of time...

some techniques require you to pour a lot hotter. i have poured at 185-190* and still had a strongly scented candle.

I use soy, add FO at 175-180. It seems to me that logically, fragrance burnoff is a myth. It takes approx 30 minutes for a 2 pound batch to cool from 180 to 100. When burning a candle, it burns for at least 3 hours at 130ish, so a relatively brief high temperature can't possibly burn off much. I usually add 1.1 instead of 1 ounce, just in case I'm wrong, because even if there is such a thing as burnoff, then I cannot possibly fathom it burning off more than .1 oz when I add it.

I also add an .1 oz when measuring simply because there is always some fo left in the cup and extra for that magical burn off. I add mine in about 180 - a long time ago I did not do this and then I could not get monkey farts to throw.....but once I started adding FO at 180. Boy it is great!