Can we talk color?

Scented

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the following:

1) Ultramarines

2) Oxides

3) Liquids

4) Micas

I'm asking because I like vivid colors and well frankly would like something that gives a nice bold color. I tried a pink ultramarine, but to me that wasn't pink. The oxides, OK I know I need to mix them longer and thank you to those who posted what you do!

Liquids, I just think one would have to use a boatload to get a vivid color, but it's just a perception I have and I know Les, you like the liquids and you have a good colors :)

Micas. Now are these only good with M&P? Will they not work in CP at all? Or is that because they are a suspension color and won't bind with the oils? Just really curious.

There are liquids that are really really really concentrated. I colored 1 cup of soap a dark pink with 3 drops. I thought that was pretty good.

I like micas because of all the wonderful colors. Make sure they are soap safe!

I have 1 UM that I use and I like it, but I have to use a lot of it. I use about a heaping teaspoon for 2lbs.

I've haven't used oxides or clays for colorants yet.

I like all the powders way better for CP. I get super bold colors with them. I have one that is called Pearl blue mica, and one called Ultramarine oxide. I use chromium green and ulramarine violet too. The colors come out very dark. I do 2 or 3 pound batches and use about 1 or 2 teaspoons to color the entire batch dark. For natural pink I like to use rose clay. It turns out to be a dusty rose color. I need to try the yellow oxide. I have only found a coulple of liquid colors that work at all. And I had to add an entire ounce just to get a vivid swirl. They cost a lot too. And I don't like how they change colors so you really don't know what you'll end up with.

I'm really happy with all the powders I've bought so far.

This is a good thread Julie. I have been thinking a lot about this myself lately. I have a couple of Brambleberry dyes, and a couple of micas and oxides just to try, and also some clays. What liquid dyes give the best true colors in CP soap? I would love to have one that makes a nice red color and one that stays a nice blue and so on.

Well now that clays were ummmm brought up ... how in the world are they used. I thought maybe I could get a somewhat pinkish color off one so I bought some. I know I don't know how to use it though.

I think i found a mica that can be used in CP, but are they prepared the same way as the oxides and ultramarines?

Carrie you use liquids?

And is the going rate at dissolving oxides and ultramarines 1 tsp? Here I was just using 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Hmmmm.

So far ive only found one person that has the liquid colors i like. I have tried others and they dont even compare... Im still trying to mess with the oxides and micas, but it aint happening for me.. I think im just stuck on what i learned with....

Spill girl? What are you using? I use Select Shades and I like them very much. Not expensive either.

I like clays too. Remember that clay will abosorb water, so watch your discount. I either add 1 T per lb of oils at the start of my batch, or mix with a cup of soap to swirl.

e

I use the select shades also like E, and I love them more than any other liquid dye, clay, mica, oxide or ultramarine. I dont really have any luck with swirling unless its with a liquid dye and the colors man they are bold! Select shades has charts and if you do your math correctly then there should be no problem -- and really its not that math hard. Its just parts which makes it easier in my book. But really I bought the select shades basic set that is like 1 or 2 oz of each color and its now time two years later to buy more. You really dont need much to color alot and I mean alot of soap!

Check out select shades before you buy any other liquid dyes!

Pam

Select shades has charts and if you do your math correctly then there should be no problem -- and really its not that math hard. Its just parts which makes it easier in my book.

I downloaded the SelectShades pdf chart to my PC and follow it for color mixing. You are correct, following the chart is easy once you have decided what your part is, as in one part false blue, two parts ultra marine, etc. I use 1/8 or 1/4 tsp as my part and mix the colors in a shot glass. I pour in a little at a time into the soap until it's the shade I want.

http://www.selectshades.com

SpellKast (Michelle) was asking about interest in doing a Peacock dye co-op over on that board, and when I looked at the site, all the soaps were really bright and/or dark colored and they had some really neat colors.

Has anyone tried these? I too really like the bright colors and was hoping this co-op would be a go so I could try them. :)

SpellKast (Michelle) was asking about interest in doing a Peacock dye co-op over on that board, and when I looked at the site, all the soaps were really bright and/or dark colored and they had some really neat colors.

Has anyone tried these? I too really like the bright colors and was hoping this co-op would be a go so I could try them. :)

Liz bought the sample peacock set and was not impressed at all... Very expensive maybe she will chime in here!!

So far ive only found one person that has the liquid colors i like. I have tried others and they dont even compare... Im still trying to mess with the oxides and micas, but it aint happening for me.. I think im just stuck on what i learned with....

I'll try again, LOL! Shutterbug, what liquids are you liking?

I think I am going to order some of the select shades. I have been on the fence about ordering them. Someone on The Whisk posted some beautiful soaps the other day using them and the soap is a cream color, but the swirl colors are bold and beautiful.

E, could I ask, if you make too much of a certain color and you don't use it, is there a way to save it and use it for another batch, like put it in a little bottle and mark the bottle with the color mix, or am I being silly? :rolleyes2

E, could I ask, if you make too much of a certain color and you don't use it, is there a way to save it and use it for another batch, like put it in a little bottle and mark the bottle with the color mix, or am I being silly? :rolleyes2

It's such a tiny bit, if any, that I've never tried.