4627 and Metro Hell

I gave up on using 12.5 oz. status (metro) jars because I could never get them wicked right. I decided to keep them because I can get them locally for less than $1 each now. I'm tempted to double wick these suckers. Does anyone that uses 4627 comfort blend wax have any luck with these and a single wick? I don't want to know what you used, I just need to hear that it IS possible. However, if you want to PM me and help me out, I'll repay you with CP soap. I got the 7oz jars wicked no problem.

With my blend, zinc wicks suck so I don't even try them anymore. I blend with soy and the zincs hate it.

I'm going nuts, and for me that's a short trip anyway.

GG, your gonna hate me for this but I am going to give you my solid advice.

Ditch that vaseline wax and run for the hills. I know many an experienced candlemaker that will tell you the same thing. Its hard to work with, it has virtually no hot throw and basically sucks. Ask Trish, Heather or Kimberly. They will tell you the same thing.

I would try the J waxes. If you need some samples I will round some up for you and send them your way.

Ditch that vaseline wax and run for the hills. I know many an experienced candlemaker that will tell you the same thing. Its hard to work with, it has virtually no hot throw and basically sucks. Ask Trish, Heather or Kimberly. They will tell you the same thing.

First off, I totally agree. I cannot stand this wax!

However, how wide is your jar? Have you tried any HTP's? I had the best luck with the HTP in that wax before I switched waxes...

Grumpy...which supplier has the Metros for less than a buck?

(On the wax...did you like Brenda's wax from Green Leaf? The 70/30 blend?) I found that it is not that hard to wick in these jars. We were using the 51 cottons if I am not mistaken. If you are interested I will double check to be positive what we used.)

It's a 3" diameter jar. I've gone up to a HTP 126 and it was ugly. A CD 16 tunnels and soots... I am going to run through my LX's again since it's been awhile. Maybe start with an LX 22 and see how that goes...

Michael, I'll send you a PM. I haven't received the wax from GL yet. Maybe this week. I haven't bothered her about it, I figured she has been busy with the business. I would be interested in the wick size though. Just for future reference, for when I get pissed off enough to toss this case in the Caddo Lake and need to order from somewhere else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystical_angel1219

I totally disagree with you on the hot throw. It has the best hot/cold throw that I have worked with and I've tried them all. So if I run for the hills it will be for vaseline wax!

Quote:

I totally disagree with you on the hot throw. It has the best hot/cold throw that I have worked with and I've tried them all. So if I run for the hills it will be for vaseline wax!

You go girl. :smiley2:

I am glad this wax works well for you in your applications. You are the first person I have seen that actually gets favorable results with this wax used straight. I know a few that add it to straight paraffin and get optimal results. I think it has a strong cold throw, but questionable hot throw from the candles I have experienced made with this wax. But then again I have not tried any of your candles.

I haven't received the wax from GL yet. Maybe this week. I haven't bothered her about it, I figured she has been busy with the business.

Not only with the business but busy sending samples and now waiting for USPS boxes. :) We have a LOT of requests and we are taking them in the order they came in. I got your order (and thank you sincerely for that). I sent you an email.

With our wax blend and a 3" jar - I would look towards something like an ECO-10 or HTP-126 as a starting point. Those jars have no "heat well" and the wick has to do all the work.

Thanks

You go girl. :smiley2:

I am glad this wax works well for you in your applications. You are the first person I have seen that actually gets favorable results with this wax used straight. I know a few that add it to straight paraffin and get optimal results. I think it has a strong cold throw, but questionable hot throw from the candles I have experienced made with this wax. But then again I have not tried any of your candles.

I also LOVE this wax. I cant wick anything bigger then a 8oz jar but hey thats Ok with me. My customers love my candles. They say the scent drifts through their house!:yay:

I am testing some soy but i will continue to carry my comfort blend aswell. Love It!:)

I gave up on using 12.5 oz. status (metro) jars because I could never get them wicked right. I decided to keep them because I can get them locally for less than $1 each now. I'm tempted to double wick these suckers. Does anyone that uses 4627 comfort blend wax have any luck with these and a single wick? I don't want to know what you used, I just need to hear that it IS possible. However, if you want to PM me and help me out, I'll repay you with CP soap. I got the 7oz jars wicked no problem.

With my blend, zinc wicks suck so I don't even try them anymore. I blend with soy and the zincs hate it.

I'm going nuts, and for me that's a short trip anyway.

Where do you get these jars so cheap. They are my only jars I use and I have not found them that cheap. I use a 70/30 blend and use 2 710 wick it wicks for these jars. Just wondering!

Dixie

I did some serious testing on 4627 too. I think the hot throw is one of the best out there, but wicking it was so awful that I went back to J50. I would definitely try another wax and see if you like it better. For me, J50 has a comparable throw, but it so much easier to wick (and I don't have to scoop it out of that darn plastic bag, lol)

I also LOVE this wax. I cant wick anything bigger then a 8oz jar but hey thats Ok with me. My customers love my candles. They say the scent drifts through their house!:yay:

I am testing some soy but i will continue to carry my comfort blend aswell. Love It!:)

This is the only wax I use too. I've tried J50, J223 and WSP's Crafters Choice. This wax gives me the most vibrant colors and the hot/cold throw is out of this world. The vast majority of my FO's come from JS and a few from Peak and LS. I actually find it pretty easy to wick using CD wicks in 16oz mason jars. They mushroom some but very little, if any, soot.

• 9 months later...
:shocked2: I use igi4627 wax. It seems to be alright.Zincs work well in it.I was wondering if anyone has tried additives in this wax?

I tested this wax extensively and you really don't need any additives. It colors nicely, holds a load of FO and sets up pretty. What would you want an additive to do?