Presto Kitchen Kettle

Yep, just put it in the pot, along with any additives if you use any. Always use a thermometer too, as you cannot guage the temp. with the control that is on the pot, and you don't want to overheat. I keep mine a little below 200 degrees and keep a thermometer in it and watch it closely.

Do you use the Presto Pots with paraffin, or soy?

It doesn't burn?

I have one that I used to use for gel candles. It has a spiggot attached, which never actually worked with gel.

Is this what you are talking about?

How long does it take to melt the wax? I use strictly soy.

I would love to use mine for my soy, but I am afraid that it will burn it.

Thanks.

You can use a Presto for soy. I do! Just make sure to never ever set the temp above 200 degrees. It gets warm quick! I usually set mine to just past the Warm setting and watch the temp, if I need more, I bump it a little until the orange light comes back on. Just make sure you keep a thermometer in there.

Guest EMercier

I used the soy blend wax sample I got from Greenleaf, but I didn't turn it pas the 200 degree mark. I have two prestos and I'm looking to invest in two more. They have really come in handy, but for the 2-day show I have coming up, I need the four. I can at least pour in a few days doing a little bit at a time.

• 1 month later...

:bliss: My favorite little "junk shop" - great source for the vintage/antique kitchen gadgets I collect - had a Presto pot yesterday for $3. Looked to be in perfect condition. Think I should have bought it?

:D Just kiddin' - of course I did buy it - and it works perfectly.

We bought 2 of the Presto Kitchen Kettles 6000 several days ago ($25 each at Walmart). Went to Home Depot, bought 4 bolts, 2 sillcock spigots and a package of JB Weld. Drilled placement holes in each pot, inserted the spigots, bolted them in to place, covered back plate and bolts with JB Weld on the outside and let them sit for 24 hours. They work fantastically!! Each one took a total of 15 minutes to customize (obviously not including liquid weld set time) and the total $$'s cost was $56.00. On Ebay, I would have had to pay that and more for one when calculating shipping on top of cost. The spigot doesn't clog and you can get almost every drop out of the pot (you have to tip it only slightly for the last few ounces or so). I was more excited about this wonderful new tool than I was with my new PC. But then I'm easily amused. ;-)

missmargie...enlighten the un-mechanical ;) I've found 3-4 different instructions on the net how to convert these...how easy was it to do the FIRST time you tried? which directions did you use, mind sharing a link? I so want to convert my prestos but have been nervous that I would screw it up--end up having to buy new ones, make a trip to the E.R. or both lol

Hi amieelynne:

Hewells is correct. THere are detailed instructions for doing this here in the Gen'l Info section. However, I came across my way by reading this:

http://www.candlecauldron.com/prestopot.html

Scroll down to "Version 2 - Submitted by Sandy"

I can't say enough how very, VERY easy it was. Even the first one. If you'd like. I would be happy to "my" step-by-step" instructions as well as pictures of the finished pots.

I melted 6 lbs in each pot. However, if you put in about 3 lbs... set the temp to just a hair under 200 degrees, you can then add more wax up to 7 lbs as the first load melts and makes room.

Note: I did the first one all by myself. They're both working so great, I'm getting 2 more (I have a school and a church fund raiser coming up).

Let me know if you'd like pics and instructions.

Margie

Looks great.... doesn't the spigot get clogged with cooled wax? I guess if you tip it to drain it all comes out huh? Anybody not like a spigot? I just pour into pour pot and don't have problems. Maybe I should leave well enough alone unless there is some FANTASTIC advantage of have a spigot. What a funny word spigot, spigot. I'll have to use that one in Scrabble!!

7lbs.? That's what they'll hold? That's not pouring too many candles at once. So does the wax melt like lickity-split? I'm not in love with using a ladel with my roasters, but they will hold 25#. I'm thinking that the turkey deep fryers are sounding even better. Having a spigot sure is tempting!

Gretchen

Nope. The spigot doesn't clog (yup... it is a strange word however, the actual name of the plumbing part is a "sillcock" which is even weirder). The spigot stays heated enough to remain clear... mine have yet to clog. Also, I use 2 pots at a time (and I'm buying and customizing 2 more) so I've always got 14 - 15 pounds going at the same time. It melts a full pot faster than any other method I used... about 15 - 20 minutes max. Note: I'm probably preachin' to the choir, but you still have to watch the temp. Keeping the thermo control at just a hair under 200 degrees does the trick but I still check the wax temp OFTEN.

When you're done pouring for the day, just use a few paper towels to wipe it out and throw the lid in the dishwasher.

Okay... it's not 25 lbs of wax at one time but I'm able to maintain a constant, steady supply of melted wax because the melt time is so quick and if I need only a few pounds of the wax... the pot keeps the unused portion safely ready for me until I'm ready for it.

I'm very happy with this tool. I'll post a picture tomorrow. Gotta warn ya, though... once customized, they ain't pretty but they sure are functional.

Margie