Does anyone know what the requirements are to deal direct with Fragrance Oil Manufacturers?

I would love the option of selecting the grade of fragrance oils myself. I am sure there is a minimum investment but am not sure how it all works ( requirements?)

I would appreciate any information about this, or the name of any reputable companies I could contact.

Thanks

IFT has good oils. You have to buy in rather large quantities. I used to buy directly from them (about8 or 9 years ago) and when I began making candles again I contacted them but their minimum order had increased and at this time I don't make a large enough quantity to justify buying that much. They will send you samples if you ask. Also they will create custom scents for you.

IFT's min is 10 pounds FO for non-designer FOs (including custom blended FOs) and 25 lbs for designer dupes. The nice thing is that they usually charge ~$10 per pound, so you really are going to save some money in the long run if you can use that much FO.

You probably already know this but one thing to keep in mind is the shelf life of the FO.

I never thought about the makers having different grades of oils. I'd like to hear what you find out. I'd always just figured that different companies had different scents that were just a bit better. Never really thought about it, though.

I checked into this a couple of years ago with Bel Aire.They had a 25lb. min. They also told me that you could choose the strength of each fragrance.If you wanted a 10.00 lb. of cranberry or 20.00 lb. of cranberry it was up to you.

Sounds more like a marketing gimmick, if the oils are not diluted, then there should be no reason for this non-sense. I know in Flavors, there is a 2x,5x,10x(fold) such as orange and vanilla extracts but in this case, I dont see why its needed unless you want to pay more for something that you dont have to. I think using a 1oz of something is better then 1.5oz so there is less inerts in the wax but i dont think thats the case usually. If its not CUT, it should be strong enough. My Op only.:cool2:

Grades aren't a marketing gimmick. That's just the way things work and a lower grade isn't necessarily diluted. It's a different and less expensive formulation. One supplier may have a great reputation for their $16/lb FOs. Another supplier may specialize in high end FOs for $22/lb. They may both use the same manufacturer.

In fact, it's safe to say that at the lower price point you are almost never buying the most expensive formulation that can be used for that scent.

There's a good discussion of it here. http://candlemakers.zoovy.com/category/faq.candle_formulas/

The links she posted was very useful to explain the grades. There is still fishy pricing by some middle suppliers and prices for the same stuff that are all over the spectrum of prices. Diff manufacturers also have 2 grades and at diff prices so it comes back to one answer. SAMPLE.

I have dealt with IFT, Here is a example of my experience with them.

My Pomegrante fragrance is normally 13.95lb from my supplier, with IFT it was 7.35lb I had to purchase 25lbs at a time so 183.75 plus shipping I paid like 203.00. I had no problem doing this because I sell alot of this scent.

Now Lovespell I did not sell as much of so only purchased 10lbs at a time my cost per lb was 8.75, but because I did not meet the 25lb requirement I had to pay a 15.00 sur-charge plus shipping, again even with the sur-charge it was cheaper than my regular supplier.

You have to buy at least 10lbs and pay a 15.00 sur-charge or 25lbs with no surcharge.

If you have a scent you sell a ton of then this works out real well to save you money or if you have someone you can go in with.

Even with the surcharge you can save a good bit of money on 10lb containers, but your investment on your fragrances goes up big time, if you are like me the more fragrances you have the better you feel.

If you contact IFT they will send you out 6 1oz samples to try- or if you are trying to dupe a scent you can send them a sample of the oil and they will dupe and send you a sample to try, you don't have to buy if you don't want to.

The only one I had trouble with was Bird of paradise- when I requested it I was told Bird of Paradise the flower has no scent(huh), so after a little research on this scent so many customers were requesting I called back and requested Circle E type Bird of Paradise and was sent a sample that was dead on.

HTH

Angiestaff