First marble pillar

Cari

Well I was wanting to make marbled votives but chickend out and tried a pillar first. Heck I just got these molds in today from Peak after all, I had to use them. lol

These were from the same pot of wax, but are totally different. I didn't tap enough so I still have air holes on the outside. Now to start testing wicks. Any suggestions? 3" pillar. I made these with IGI 4796...I want to try these with 1343A too.

The pics are of the front and back of the candles. Hope you like them!

Cari

post-723-13945837671_thumb.jpg

post-723-139458376712_thumb.jpg

Good job....very pretty candles. Don't know about wicks either....depends on a lot of things. I have 6 3" candles burning right now to see what they do.....every time I change something....I have to experiment. I have some chunkies burning with 30 ply....the 27 was too small....so I also am using a #2 square braid and it looks good....so who knows...just keep experimenting. Love your candles.

Thanks everyone!! I was so excited last night when I got these out of there molds. I ended up trying another batch. :D

IGI 4796 is a blended votive wax, it is a 2 pour, has a mp of 128. I have used it in the past for pillars and had good luck.

How do you know if you have all the bubbles out? I'm scared I'm gonna heat it for to long and then not have the marble. Course I might be pouring it a little to late so that could possibly be causing extra bubbles?

C

How do you know if you have all the bubbles out? I'm scared I'm gonna heat it for to long and then not have the marble. Course I might be pouring it a little to late so that could possibly be causing extra bubbles?

I've made a few marbles w/ metal molds, but recently I bought 3 polycarbonate molds (clear plastic) that I use so I can see what's going on when I'm working out air bubbles & using my heat gun, which has variable temps so I don't have to worry about melting my mold.

If you heat the exterior of the mold & poured wax too long then too much of the marbled wax liquifies & becomes one color instead of the marbling pattern. A wonderful aspect of the poly molds is that you can see the air bubbles working their way upward in conjuction w/ the heat gun & tapping.

Once I have my marbling technique down, I'll go back to using metal molds & apply all I've learned from using the clear plastic.

where do you find the clear molds? I was wondering if you could use a heat gun on them.

Thanks for the complements!! You mention the nice soft colors...you should see the batch after this. lol DH said it looked burnt.

C

where do you find the clear molds? I was wondering if you could use a heat gun on them.

Thanks for the complements!! You mention the nice soft colors...you should see the batch after this. lol DH said it looked burnt.

C

Alot of places carry those molds, Candlewic does anyway.

Umm... heat + plastic = not good :D

I love the marbelling. So far your first attemps have been waaaay better than my many attemps. I use 4794 for votives because I like the low melt point. Have never used it for pillars, but I think I read that a few others have tried it with additives to raise the melt point. I am curious about how pillars will burn using this wax. What wick did you end up using?

As for polycarb molds, I have used my heat gun on them, but with a gentle touch (not as heavily as with aluminium). They are getting a little cloudy, but still good to use. :D

I'm gonna pour a pillar for ME tonight and test wicks in it. Then I'll let you know what I ended up with. In the past I have used zinc wicks with good luck. I have some new stuff but not sure off the top of my head what they are.

So I guess....I just need to keep working with the metal molds and skip the polys? at least for marbleing. I do have a temp dial on my heat gun...I might just have to try it at least once. :D

C

Candlewic is having a 50% sale on poly molds until the 12th, @ noon. Damn! I wish I had some $, I would surely get more! Just be sure to enter the promo code.

"the polycarbonate heat tolerance is around 278 degrees F." This was the answer I got from a candlewic rep in response to an email I sent them asking them for the heat tolerance of they poly molds. I have no problems using my VARIABLE temp heat gun.