Concave or flat top molds???

I have a couple molds at home that I have been playing around with but since Peaks is having a sale on their seamless aluminum molds thought I would purchase a couple more. I am new at making pillars. Could someone tell me why you would buy a concave mold over a flat top or flat top over the concave mold? Is it just a preference? TIA.

i use the concave molds. the concave will sit flat when you are pouring. when you put the wick in, it sticks out a little. since it is conclave, there is enough room for the wick to be so it will sit flat.

i've not used the flat top molds, but the wick issue could be a factor. if you use wick pins, this might not be a problem, but i don't use those either. :)

I have a bunch of little metal rings from years ago that were to hold up plastic heart molds......if my wick is sticking out on the bottom, I just place it on top of a ring (about 3")......if you don't have rings, and most people don't, I have found that the small size tuna cans work too. This way, you can choose whatever kind of mold you want.

I personally like the concave tops. I think they look nicer BEFORE burning, and maybe this is a figment on my imagination, but I think the way the edge of the top of the concave is helps it burn better. JMO!

and maybe this is a figment on my imagination, but I think the way the edge of the top of the concave is helps it burn better. JMO!

lol....now see, I think the opposite. When I was choosing between the 2, I would think it would make the burn a little off more because of the angle of the sides. I went with flat top for this reason, but I do think the concave looks a "tiny" bit nicer. I personally think it's just a preference.

I personally like the concave tops. I think they look nicer BEFORE burning, and maybe this is a figment on my imagination, but I think the way the edge of the top of the concave is helps it burn better. JMO!

I thought so too, but I've cut several up with a power saw and found they burned the same. Like the concave, but often use the flat tops too. For some odd reason, to me (all in my head), my white candles look nicer with flat tops :rolleyes: